Sponsored Links Spacer Image

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 12:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the communists drive out most if not all martial arts people and places of practice, until realizing what tradition they had lost, then tried to make a nationally sanctioned martial art which is commonly referred to as wushu, but is completely devoid of any real martial use?

I know of a man (now long dead) who was trained at the southern temple at fukien. He called it Shaolin, I would have no reason to doubt it.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 12:55am

Style: JKD, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was an article in a recent issue of Kung Fu magazine talking about the Southern Temple and how they discovered a temple that is supposedly the Southern Shaolin Temple. They found weapons and other training items buried around it.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 1:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sounds about right.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Fancy a milkshake?

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 2:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to www.russbo.com and look in site content, shaolin temple and there are pictures of the supposed southern shaolin.
    The original temple is the one in henan and the name shaolin is derived as "Little Forrest" I believe or something like that because of where the temple is situated at the base of a mountain near obviously a little forrest, I forget the name of the mountain.
    I have heard that there were a number of shaolin style temples, most prolifically the southern, but who cares about heresay?
    "Pussyhole"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 8:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had read long ago...would take some time to re-research this...
    There were two temples. the southern temple was destroyed in the 19th century.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 10:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was referring to Boogers' post.
    Philbert and Mantis posted simultaneously with me.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 11:34am

supporting member
     Style: Punch & Kick

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Mr_Mantis
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the communists drive out most if not all martial arts people and places of practice, until realizing what tradition they had lost, then tried to make a nationally sanctioned martial art which is commonly referred to as wushu, but is completely devoid of any real martial use?
    Oh man...here goes the Commie bashing again. Look guys, the Communists, in all their lunacy post WW2 didn't have a vendetta against MA practitioners. They basically said you can't practice it as there was a ban on all weapons but they didn't kill MA'ers on a systematic basis or deport them. So when the ban was lifted, a lot of the old kung-fu guys were still around and came out of the woodwork. What was lost is a generation of students. Later, the government started the athletic board and invited a whole bunch of the old guys onto it (and a lot of them didn't since they did not agree to the direction the board was taking). The Commies had an issue with the old establishment, so if you were a MA'er and got sentenced to "re-education camp" it's probably because you were involved in the government to some degree.

This "Commies killed Kung-fu" myth is perpetuated by HK and Taiwan teachers, who for political reasons, have no love for the Commies and would love to say that their MA is better than mainland China. I've been to Taiwan, been to China. The level of MA in China is significantly higher than in Taiwan, both traditional and modern San Shou. As to how many of these TMA'ers can break necks? Not many. Some of their teachers could but most of them do not have the training equipment or the environment to get to that level.
    Punches in bunches and kicks kicks kicks!

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 4:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In regards to san shou the Hong Kong guys statistically do better than the mainland guys. As for Shuai jiao the taiwan guys still do better than the maniland guys. How often do the mainland guys spar? How often do they trained as professional fighters? Hardly.
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 4:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The Commies had an issue with the old establishment, so if you were a MA'er and got sentenced to "re-education camp" it's probably because you were involved in the government to some degree."
    Anything and anyone that represented the past was targeted. Teachers were targeted. Priests were targeted. Martial arts were banned. etc
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Punch & Kick

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Freddy. The Chinese have professional San Shou teams in all major cities representing every province that compete for national team status. I hardly believe that HK with their population pool can keep up. If they have beaten their mainland counterparts on national level events, let me know. Last I checked the national champions were all from the mainland.

As far as Shuai Jiao, there are professional coaches. From what I understand, the pro teams are dying due to a lack of funding as well as increased funding to San Shou. I've met a few of the Shuai Jiao coaches that teach the San Shou teams now and these guys can throw, on a resisting target, and do so for a living. Are there professional Shuai Jiao guys in Taiwan? That compete in full contact sports?

Yeah...they targeted a lot of people. But MA was not systematically destroyed. And I've met the older generation from that time period too. And they didn't forget their MA and they continued to teach after the ban. So no, you can't say that REAL kung-fu is no longer in the mainland. A lot of people would like you do believe otherwise. They paint the picture that everyone was killed and that all that is left is Wushu. This can't be further from the truth. Thing is, most of these people don't have schools so finding them is rather difficult.
    Punches in bunches and kicks kicks kicks!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast