Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 8:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training gloves?

Hey guys,

I've been looking around online trying to find a good pair of open-palm training gloves to wear. I'm looking for the gloves to offer enough freedom to effectively grapple, but enough cushioning to spare the faces of my training partners.

I've been trying to find some that are at least 8 oz. Most of the sites that I've found that sell open-palm gloves don't list the weights anywhere (I guess glove weight is more of a boxing gloves thing).

Does anybody have any advice for me? A good place I could look or, better yet, recommendations for gloves you personally like?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I apologize if this is the wrong forum to be posting this in. If it's the wrong place, where should I go?

Thanks!
    Last edited by KungFuTrainee; 4/03/2009 9:01pm at .

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 9:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.combatsports.com/detail.aspx?ID=23985

they're not 8oz, but they do a good job of protecting your training partner.

EDIT: oh and FYI this belonged in newbietown, basic striking discussion or you could have searched the gear reviews and old threads. we have a couple of very informative glove threads.
    Last edited by Ming Loyalist; 4/03/2009 9:26pm at . Reason: addded info
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 9:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Ming. Appreciate it!

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 10:28pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll concur with those too.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 10:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    http://www.combatsports.com/detail.aspx?ID=23985

they're not 8oz, but they do a good job of protecting your training partner.

EDIT: oh and FYI this belonged in newbietown, basic striking discussion or you could have searched the gear reviews and old threads. we have a couple of very informative glove threads.
    I have those they're excellent

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 6:15am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To make this slightly more relevant to PT: I hear weightlifting with gloves sometimes allows you to avoid callouses at the expense of messing up your grip and is thus almost entirely worthless. Anyone got a contradiction?
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 12:27pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do you want gloves in the first place? You don't need to gloves to grapple. Are you getting ready for a fight? If so, you should be using the gloves that you will be using during the fight. If you're not getting ready for a fight, you don't need to be wearing gloves when grappling.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 12:54pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega and Ming probably try lots more gloves than I do, but just to toss another option in the ring, I have really liked these shooto gloves. They have a good amount of padding, have so far stood up well, and I really like the wrist support,

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 1:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    Omega and Ming probably try lots more gloves than I do, but just to toss another option in the ring, I have really liked these shooto gloves. They have a good amount of padding, have so far stood up well, and I really like the wrist support,
    those are really nice gloves. i have a pair of those, as well as a pair of the original US shooto glove (kagi - collector's item! aw yeah)

i think the CSI ones protect your hand the best of the 3, but the kagi's hit the hardest, as they have the least padding, and their lace-up design makes for a really good fit. the ouanos are very nice and have a good amount of padding, but for certain overhand strikes, they have little effective padding. we had a fractured orbital in one sparring class, and decided to switch to the CSI gloves.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

is badder than you

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 1:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    To make this slightly more relevant to PT: I hear weightlifting with gloves sometimes allows you to avoid callouses at the expense of messing up your grip and is thus almost entirely worthless. Anyone got a contradiction?
    I used to wear weightlifting gloves to protect my hands from calluses way back. Then I got calluses despite that. Bollocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.