Administrator

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 3:25pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by taijirichm View Post
    I don't think I once said MMA is horrible, just that it trains for specific uses just as all arts.
    People, please tell him we don't want a quote block semantics war.

Congratulations on showing up.

I certainly won't debate the way most Taiji looks today. That is part of my issue.
    Funny, reading your email that is exactly what started your argument with Tom.

I agree, the taiji principles were written for contact use, that is how I read them and use them.
    Then why are you arguing with Tom?

Oh and art? Really? No. That dead horse can be discussed in another thread not in this one.

Oh and yeah.

You have never once shown that you even understand taiji, so how could you even argue that one was better than the other.

We have actually agreed on most of the other points.
    Walking contradiction right there buddy.

Once you respond to this, please answer 1point2's and Rivington's questions.

Thank you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 3:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IIF,

Specifically the argument started over the posted video that is a load of crap.

I don't see how your quoted sentence is a contradiction. I don't have to agree with all of his points because I agree with one, nor does he have to understand something to make points that I agree with.

I will answer all posts.

You are welcome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 3:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Missing Principles

Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Okay, I'll bite: what principles of taiji do you think are missing in the most rigorous of Chinese tuishou competitions?
    I did not say all, specifically the conversation was about the video. Missing Principles from that video to name a few.

from the taiji lun

1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

They would be long to write out, so I just referenced the numbers as we are all capable of googling and reading.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 4:01pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I don't see how your quoted sentence is a contradiction. I don't have to agree with all of his points because I agree with one, nor does he have to understand something to make points that I agree with.
    Are you kidding? To make points relevant to a topic you have to have at least a rudimentary understanding.

I see where this is going.

You agreed with "most" don't play semantics with me

We have actually agreed on most of the other points.
    Well, have fun, I'll let the others grill you I can't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 4:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kintanon,

Hmmm, I think all of the martial arts are infused with the spirituality of the warrior culture, from the American Indians, the European Arts as well as the Eastern arts. Warriors tend to be similar in all cultures. What you talk of is fighting, guess we can agree to disagree. Though you should ask yourself why it is such a small minority that thinks that way.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 4:04pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kintanon,

Hmmm, I think all of the martial arts are infused with the spirituality of the warrior culture, from the American Indians, the European Arts as well as the Eastern arts. Warriors tend to be similar in all cultures. What you talk of is fighting, guess we can agree to disagree. Though you should ask yourself why it is such a small minority that thinks that way.
    Proof please.

Nope I want statistics.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 4:06pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrestling, Boxing, Savate, Judo, BJJ, no mysticism. Muy Thai has some that comes specifically from Thai culture, Kyokushin has some that comes specifically from japanese culture. But westerners who learn Muy Thai in the states generally do not adopt, and are not required to adopt Thai traditions as part of learning to fight. Why? Because the CULTURE is seperate from the MARTIAL ART. Trying to fuse those two things together is not productive.
    If you want to talk about honor and discipline etc... then be aware that those are things that come as side effects of WORKING HARD TO LEARN HOW TO FIGHT. Not things that must be inherently taught on top of the fighting part.

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    from the taiji lun

1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
    Ah, so you're punting. No sweat -- I'll put in as much work as you did:

No you're wrong get some real taijilolol you're the one who sucks lol.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Rivington; 4/07/2009 4:09pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 4:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Well, well

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Rusher View Post
    In particular, this one:

YouTube - TaiChi 太極推手比賽
    This would have made a very sound argument for your video. The only non-principled point that I see awarded at first glance of this video is at 8:30 where the red competitor was over committed, and lost his balance. As far as I can tell, he was awarded the point.

That doesn't mean that I feel the chinese competitions are superior, as I have said, they are different. as long as they award points for bad skill I will disagree with them.

In reference to the US rules, I know their purpose, and feel they are serving that, what they aren't providing is what you are looking for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2009 4:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rivington, how is that punting? I can write them out here if you want. In fact, I will later.
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast