Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 11:56am

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    BS is BS
    Interesting... that described his physical attributes to a T, I didn't suspect him to CLAIM to be sumo, given I'd expect sumo to be bigger, he somehow fit into the big and fit category, he also had a regal air about him. But then again so do most con-men.

FYI my ex-colleges and I weigh about 60-70kg, a guy weighing 140ish is considered huge by our standards.

But, obviously you'd know better, having been to these places.

As to bruises rising to the surface, that's what my sempai and shifu have told me to do! In any case, the bruises do subside faster with massage.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 12:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh boy, can I give you a great deal on a bridge today?

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 12:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whathappened View Post
    Interesting... that described his physical attributes to a T, I didn't suspect him to CLAIM to be sumo, given I'd expect sumo to be bigger, he somehow fit into the big and fit category, he also had a regal air about him. But then again so do most con-men.

FYI my ex-colleges and I weigh about 60-70kg, a guy weighing 140ish is considered huge by our standards.

But, obviously you'd know better, having been to these places.

As to bruises rising to the surface, that's what my sempai and shifu have told me to do! In any case, the bruises do subside faster with massage.
    Chiyanofuji, the lone Yokozuna in 1985, never weighed more than 120kg, which made his ten-year reign as a Yokozuna (as opposed to this "three-to-five-years-before-being-unseated" bumpf that somebody was spouting) all the more remarkable.

YouTube - CHIYONOFUJI 53 successive victories, short edited

He is widely considered one of the best rikishi of modern times, heads his own Beya, is a tournament Shinpan (judge) and is a member of the Sumo Kyokai Board of Directors. He has no time for anything other than Sumo.

As for bruises "floating to the surface" from deep inside the body, heed Hesperus. His question is both cogent and perfectly suited to "sempais", "shifus" and those who believe such individuals rather than educate themselves on basic physiology.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 4/11/2009 1:08pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 1:10pm

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since this thread already has been moved into YMAS, I won't be posting my iron shirt video having seen some of the more impressive stuff via Youtube links posted here.

I think the video of me getting a hit to the head, gut, rib, throat and forearm swung by a 80lb woman using a 32 inch wooden louisville slugger is a certifiable joke.

I'll upload a new vid on my account when I can at least take 10 full swings by my 226lbs brother to the same areas.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2009 5:44pm

Style: Sanshou/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the Op best way to take a punch is on your forehead thats the thickest part of your skull and thusly when hit will transfer less motion to your brain which is what causes a knockout.
    Secondly the technical definition of rolling with a punch is turning your body or head in the same direction as the punch to lessen impact,which works but it depends entirely on how your opponent follows through with the punch if you stop turning early and you opponents has not finished following through than you have defeated the purpose.
    So in my opinion the best way to take a punch if you cant just avoid it is tuck in your chin and take it on the forehead.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2009 2:37am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kengodamnit View Post

i guess the only way you can *train* it is to work out your neck muscles , your jaw muscles ( is this even possible..i guess so), and get used to get hit,aswell as getting yourself dizzy to train punching/blocking while being dizzy ( fedor....)
    Timothy Bradley (WBC/WBO) Super Lightweight champion has a technique for that @ 1:10 of this clip:

YouTube - Bradley: Training Routine

(sorry, I don't know how to embed).

That being said, he was knocked down twice in his unification bout with Kendall Holt a couple of weeks ago (once in the first round, once in the 12). Not that that means anything necessarily, Holt can slug, but up to that point I don't think he was knocked down in his career. I'll double check that one though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2009 7:53am

Style: JJ/Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whathappened View Post
    NOW - this does work, the reason being is the massage stimulates the flow of blood anyway and any fluid that has leaking into the surrouding tissue (EG the bruise) will disperse quicker with massage. In short the quicker you can get a bruise to come out... the quicker it disperses.

Case in point, I was stupid enough to spa with on of the BB in our JJ class... he went for a kick and I just could't get out the way fast enough (blocking it?... no f***ing way).

So I took the impact with the biggest lump of flesh I could (the underside of my thigh)... 4 days later, it looked like I had been running into moving vehicles.

(really should've got photos - it was that good)

However, with a course of hot baths and deep massage it faded in about 10 days after it had come out - taking about 14 days to go.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/26/2009 5:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo noob and, erm, chess

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do you take a punch? What a funny question.

I can clearly remember the last full-blooded punch I took as I saw it too late, thinking damnit I'm too old for this ****, time to hang up the gloves. If I had seen the punch, I'd have got out of the way or possibly taken up knitting instead.

Otherwise, in the millisecond between seeing a punch landing and actually doing something, the only possibility is to tense and get the jaw out of the way. As for breathing out if you take a good body shot...? Sure, you're going to breathe out because a good body shot will do that. Just tense it and hope for the best.

Coming from a Chinese background, i would like to correct the posters who talk about 'bending like a reed' etc... from the original Chinese texts. Most of this stuff translates into English from Chinese as 'get your face out of the way of the punch, you idiot' or 'duck' and is not a magical mantra for punch protection.

On the other hand, if you want to believe in that stuff and practice it, I'm happy to volunteer to punch you in the face until you get it right. I'm helpful like that...
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567