Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 7:35am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the concept is sort of like how you catch a baseball when you don't have a glove, by moving your hand in the direction the ball's traveling as you catch it, to absorb the impact little by little rather than meeting it with a stiff hand, which would sting very badly if the ball's moving with any velocity.

Anybody who claims they can actually do that in real time with their head in response to a punch though, I call shenanigans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 7:51am

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Spatula:

Personally I define "rolling with a punch" as Negating the effects of a blow after impact through internal/external motion. The reverse of "rocked by a punch".

@TheMarquis:
    Method (A) : Can only be applied in Demonstrations or strikes which you can outmanover, such as most TKD opponents I've faced. Any competent opponent will (Inb4foomfoomfoom) press any opening and rain blows. Eventually, you'll run out of air before he runs out of punches/knees/etc. Find an instructor well versed in this Chigong aka Iron Shirt/Golden Bell Cover.

Method (B): Great and natural defense. Can be reinforced by (A).

Method (C): Find an instructor well versed in this Chigong aka Iron Shirt/Golden Bell Cover. I took 3 years to master this technique from the brief stint in Nam Wah Pai (Shaolin-do)

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 8:07am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well the people that get hit in the body the most and IMO hardest all do the same thing so take that for what it's worth. OSSU!

No I'm not adding a funny comment to the end of my sentence. That is what we do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 8:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Well the people that get hit in the body the most and IMO hardest all do the same thing so take that for what it's worth. *OSSU!*
    Translation: Karate exhale when struck in the body with an "OSSU"

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 11:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whathappened View Post
    Translation: Karate exhale when struck in the body with an "OSSU"
    Not to further derail things (he writes, just before further derailing things), the exhalation that goes with OSU tenses the body, which will take a shot with the solid-wall approach rather than the, um, "semi-deflated balloon" approach (if I read that description right). I've used the tensing-up response for years, and more than one idiot where I work has fucked up a hand by hitting me in the midsection.

As for the "solid-object-wrapped-inside-jelly" matter described in a previous posting: as far as I know, the skeletal muscles (the outer ones) are under voluntary control. The inner muscles (smooth muscle tissue involved in processes like digestion) are not. That being the case, how does one go about voluntarily tensing-up internal musculature in order to withstand a shot? I'm asking for the physiology here, not for any mysticism.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 1:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Not to further derail things (he writes, just before further derailing things), the exhalation that goes with OSU tenses the body, which will take a shot with the solid-wall approach rather than the, um, "semi-deflated balloon" approach (if I read that description right). I've used the tensing-up response for years, and more than one idiot where I work has fucked up a hand by hitting me in the midsection.
    Yeah, I do the same hiss/grunt/beathing tensing noise for both throwing a shot and taking a shot. Your diaphragm tenses in just the right way to meet the impact and keep the wind from getting knocked out of you and getting your guts smushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    As for the "solid-object-wrapped-inside-jelly" matter described in a previous posting: as far as I know, the skeletal muscles (the outer ones) are under voluntary control. The inner muscles (smooth muscle tissue involved in processes like digestion) are not. That being the case, how does one go about voluntarily tensing-up internal musculature in order to withstand a shot? I'm asking for the physiology here, not for any mysticism.
    My reaction to the "solid-object-wrapped-inside-jelly" thing was just a big ol' "wtf..."
    Last edited by Torakaka; 4/05/2009 2:27pm at .
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 2:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, mechanically speaking, you are building sensitivity and ultimately control over the inner muscles. If I could use an analogy,

Imagine a switch. There's only 1 and 0 setting. The whole point of the mystical teachings of the Tai Chi Classics is to get the student to FEEL the changes and gain access to unlock 1, 0.5 and 0 then 1, 0.75, 0.50, 0.25, 0 settings. In opera singing, this method is known as the emotive instructional method, using imagery and mystical mumbo jumbo to get the student to understand and gain greater control over his voice.

There's a few exercises in Chi Gung that help in this, all have the same components, holding your breath and tensing certain muscles (e.g. forearm). By repeating until failure and maximizing the maximum possible tension, the body is forced to use a higher % of muscles, going deeper each time. Visualization is key in unlocking access to the deeper muscle attached to the bones.

I had to develop such level to control because by 20, I had several health problems:
    1. dislocated collarbone that refused to sit in its socket; Doctors assessment, permanent.
    2. dislocated ligament in the index finger of left knuckle. Doctors recommended surgery;
    3. severe lower back pain; Surgery.
    4. microfractures that caused both feet to swell almost double their size. Doctors assessment, permanent and most likely wheelchair bound upon old age.

With the exception of #4, all of the problems are gone. #4 is gone except for the crooked spine, but I'm working on it lol.
    Last edited by Whathappened; 4/05/2009 2:08pm at . Reason: wrong word lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 3:22pm

Style: JJ/Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Method (A) : Can only be applied in Demonstrations or strikes which you can outmanover, such as most TKD opponents I've faced. Any competent opponent will (Inb4foomfoomfoom) press any opening and rain blows.
    You see, I'm now glad I got another POV on this subject.... this thought crossed my mind, as taking blows like that would be akin to sitting in traffic with the car in neutral and pushing the accelerator as hard as possible... at best the engine would risk getting overheated, worst you'd end up out of fuel before you got to the end of the jam.

Method (B): Great and natural defense. Can be reinforced by (A).
    This thought interests me greatly.... I do try to fit in as much work on things such as abs and inter-costial muscles doing such things as timed sessions of crunches/jack-knifing/planking and other excercises to improve the strength and stamina of said muscles... however, there seems to be some scientific evidence that worries me...
    the overall concensus seems to be that being relaxed is better than being all tensed up in a situation that involves a hard/high impact situation.

However, when companies who make clothing to protect against such events... they all seem to adopt an 'exoskeletal' approach to their safety gear. This of course would reflect perfectly to the 'wall of muscle' theory.

I understand that the laws of physics that would allow someone to walk away from a major car crash will not translate directly into someone getting a heavy right hook to the ribs.... but there must be some cross-over to the physical events in question surely...?

Sorry for asking yet more questions, I am begining to suspect there's not a simple single solution... so I doubt if a 'one size fits all' solution is going to just drop onto my laptop at some point... thanks for your time in giving an enlightening response though.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 3:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Causation, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Whathappened
    CMA>Doctors
    If it's all the same to you, mind backing up any of that?

Don't take it personal, it's standard operating procedure.
    Last edited by Hesperus; 4/05/2009 3:29pm at . Reason: clarity issues

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 4:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you actually spar, there should pretty a pretty obvious answer to this question.You can find out what actually works for you pretty easily when someone is actively punching and kicking you with force.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast