Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 1:07pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're rolling away from a punch, how exactly do you keep your chin down? And if you're chin is up, it's a boxer's dream come true. Rolling away is a good way to get knocked out by a follow up, in my opinion.

Kid's got it. Tucked chin, hide behind your shoulder. Take it on the forehead if you have to take it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 1:30pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, you should always try and catch them before they make contact. Second, you should do exactly as KidSpatula says, because she is a nationally-ranked fighter. Third, if you're under a barrage and worried you're going to get lamped, then tuck your chin, cover up with your gloves, move in on your opponent and make them eat the top of your head (though this only works if you've got something to back them up against).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 5:12pm

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That third option worked fine for me in a street fight, and I didn't have something to back the guy up against. He just wasn't very well trained. When I got my turn, his chin was up in the air, and it didn't last long.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 6:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not very good at it but you can see james toney roll away from a punch a bunch of times in this video, he's really good at it, I think the best display so far happens around 1:10

YouTube - James Toney Highlight

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 7:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm confused... at 1:10 in the video I don't see anything happening that looks anything like "rolling with punches", he's just ambling forward while slipping some weak jabs.

James Tony does a lot of slipping and a fair bit of leaning back to avoid punches, maybe I'm just mistaken about what rolling with a punch means. If by rolling with the punch we're just talking about evading punches entirely then yeah rolling with punches is great.

ps, I love James Tony. Infighting and counter punching is such a beautiful thing :)
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 10:12am

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great find ojgsxr6, I was having trouble putting into words what I meant.
    imho, this is an advanced method of absorbing blows, because rolling away from his right hook might end up rolling into his awaiting left hook. Only to be done with good foundation in footwork.
    Last edited by Whathappened; 4/04/2009 10:14am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 10:48am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    You can definitely roll with a body shot. Watch more bare knuckle Karate sparring to see this. I would often turn my body as a shot was landing to both absorb the blow and set myself up to return a strike from the opposite side. If "rolling with it" means falling away from the shot to you then you are doing it wrong.

As far as head shots goes I definitely agree with Kid; if it is a square shot you want to tuck your chin and take it on the forehead. Otherwise use a similar technique to what i described with the body shot. Whenever you are turning away from a shot some part of your body should be turning toward your opponent and attacking.

Example: (in this example for some reason you can't avoid or block the shot)
    Opponent throws a right hook at your chin.
    Tuck your chin and turn your body with the punch. NOT just your head!
    As you are turning throw a left hook at their exposed head or a left kick at their planted leg.
    thanks, for all the info guys (spatula included, you are one of the guys), now i have a better idea of how to not end up like this guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 8:37pm

Style: JJ/Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not to derail this thread in any way shape or form, but I have also received several thoughts on dealing with strikes to the body, some of which conflict very hard with each other and they can't all be 'right'...

I have previously been advised by my old TKD instructor that breathing out when a strike to the body is unavoidable is a useful method in helping to cope with the force of the impact; the analogy used was that of a balloon... it is usually much easier to burst a balloon when fully inflated than when it's half inflated.

Other 'peals of wisdom' have included the exact opposite to what's been described above - that is keep everything as tense as you possibly can so your ribcage and abdomen (especially) are 'safer' behind a 'wall of muscle'....

Another school of thought is an odd combination of the above (so please be aware my description may be a little 'sketchy') - keeping internal muscles in a state of tension, but avoiding trying to tense the outer muscles so they remain 'softer' ... so the body acts more like a gel wrapped solid object (kind of like a fist inside a boxing glove), the soft more external tissue taking much of the force from the blow and the more tense internal muscles working to stop the imact from sinking further into the body and risking damage...

Sadly I haven't done enough work in the full contact department (currently I'm a mere white belt in JJ) to really be able to actively judge what is the most effective, but I would greatly appreciate some more experienced schools of thought on the subject.

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 10:30pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have anywhere near good enough reaction time to "roll with a punch." I have a hard enough time even trying to slip them as it is. I find staying tight and tucking the chin in (As kid pointed out) is the best thing to prevent a horror scenario from occurring. I also think strengthening the neck helps this a lot as well. There's less of a snap back effect that might open one up to more punches.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 3:04am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think someone should address the actual definition of rolling with a punch. The more I think about it the more I don't really know exactly what it's supposed to be. What some people might call rolling with a punch I might just call slipping/evading. If we're talking staying relaxed so you can absorb a punch with little resistance or something of that nature then I'm inclined to believe it's nonsense.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast