Style
    Anything Goes
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

n00b Question: Stronglifts 5x5

So I heard about this strength training method over in one of the training threads and decided to give it a look. And it looks fantastic! I'd love to implement it into my training immediately!

There's just a small problem.

A lot of this training involves the use of weights. Weights as in gym. Gym as in 'facilities I cannot afford to pay for at this time.'

Now, I could just stick to the bodyweight training stuff that he advocates in this system, and I would reap some benefit from it... but it wouldn't be the full benefit. And I understand that there's no way to reap the full benefit without the weight-training, which leads me to my question:

What bodyweight exercises would y'all recommend to 'replace' the weight-training aspects? And please understand - I'm not trying to change something that works. I'm just trying to figure out how to get the most benefit from it that I can until I can afford a gym, at which point I'll switch over and do it right.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    24 Hour Fitness is $24 a month where I live, should be easy enough to afford. Besides, you'll regret every day you didn't start doing it sooner once you hit your 30's assuming you're not already there.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phrost is correct; I have some stuff to add though:

I've been hearing what you're saying from a lot of people, many trying to give weight training a genuine try and have decided to give this as my two cents:

http://www.rosstraining.com/sandbagconstructionkit.pdf

http://elnyka.wordpress.com/2008/02/...dbag-training/

The second link is from none other than TehElMacho.

Make a sandbag. If you currently live in an apartment or rent/own a house there's no reason you can't have one. Make two at 150 lbs each (with nice big bags that can store more than that). Now go do stuff. It'll cost you like, $50 total to make both if you're crafty. That's slightly more than two months at 24 hour fitness.

Deadlift, turkish getup, overhead press, pick it up and front squat, clean them, farmer's walk them, throw them. Whatever, just do ****. There, you have a mini home gym.

YouTube - Sandbag training

Here's a great video detailing some of the training.

Style
    Anything Goes
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huh. Hadn't thought of that... awesome. One more question, then: if I go for a membership at the local 24, would that membership be good at all such gyms?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Usually, except in the case of some of the high end gyms with the crap you wouldn't use on Stronglifts anyway. I've never set foot in the pool or sauna, for example, since taking the initial tour.

Just don't let them try and haggle with you for some ridiculous payment or initial payment, processing fees, etc. We're paying $24 a month (x2), month-to-month (can cancel whenever), and had no set-up fee.

You probably have $24 just in loose change every month.

Style
    Anything Goes
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, you're right about that. I was just asking because I tend to travel a lot in my line of work and I hate the idea of my training being broken up for my traveling.

Sounds terrific, though. Thanks for the help!

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood supporting member
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a little testimony:

I started stronglifts a couple of months ago. I only get two weights sessions in a week at the moment as i'm hitting 5 BJJ classes and there's just not enough time in the day but I feel so much stronger than before and I'm lifting a hell of a lot more weight than when I started. I tell everyone I know who wants to get into weight training for whatever reason to start on Stronglifts, it's become my new mantra.

Join a Gym and get lifting dude, you won't regret it.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp