Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 4:26pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Best time for HIIT?

So I've just started myself on an 8-week HIIT cycle(Tabata intervals on an elliptical). I've heard a few conflicting things on the point of when in the day to do it. It's possible for me to drag my ass out of bed before work with enough time to get my workout in, if it's the optimal time for it. Strangely enough, I'm actually eager to really get into it. I mostly just want to lose some of my flab right now, I'll probably hit the weights a little later.

My search-fu might be weak, but I didn't see anything on the forums about it when I looked.

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 4:40pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hrm, do you do any other physically intense stuff we should know about for recovery and such?

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 4:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo on Monday and Wednesday nights from 7:15 to 9:15. My cardio days are Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 5:27pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do HIIT and have done it at various times of the day and not noticed any great variations in how I feel.

If you're looking for an absolutely OPTIMAL time to do it in a strict sports-science sense, then I'm afraid I don't know the answer. In a purely anecdotal and unscientific sense, however, I would say do it whenever you feel most motivated, and just make sure it's at least two or three hours before bedtime or you'll be too hopped up to sleep. Before work sounds ideal.

Good luck with it.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 6:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you work that intensely on an eplliptical?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 6:59pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think theres much of a best time. Unless your an Olympic athlete hormone levels and all that crap don't matter.

What does matter is when you feel you can do it. You have a work schedule and Judo schedule so try to fit it in when its comfortable for you. If you like waking up and doing it before work, then do it. You probably will be more alert and awake for the day too.

I've also heard its best for fat loss to do it before you eat anything, so when you first wake up, because by that time, your body hasn't fed in about 8 hours and is burning fat. I would look into that more because I don't have a source, just heard it floated around. If anyone can find a source for that that'd be great cause I'm not gonna go looking now.

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 9:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel View Post
    Can you work that intensely on an eplliptical?
    It's the best I've got. The track at the gym isn't in fantastic shape, and neither are my knees. I figure I'll jack up the resistance a little and that should do just as well.

Thanks to everyone else who responded. Like the saying goes, the best exercise to do is the one you WILL do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 10:27pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186 View Post
    I don't think theres much of a best time. Unless your an Olympic athlete hormone levels and all that crap don't matter.

What does matter is when you feel you can do it. You have a work schedule and Judo schedule so try to fit it in when its comfortable for you. If you like waking up and doing it before work, then do it. You probably will be more alert and awake for the day too.

I've also heard its best for fat loss to do it before you eat anything, so when you first wake up, because by that time, your body hasn't fed in about 8 hours and is burning fat. I would look into that more because I don't have a source, just heard it floated around. If anyone can find a source for that that'd be great cause I'm not gonna go looking now.
    Isn't your body burning muscle first thing in the morning because it's in a catabolic state?

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 11:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do it after I lift. Supposedly it's the best time because of depleted glycogen stores, etc. I suppose so, but I'm not that educated about it. I do it because I'll be damned if I'm gonna drive to the gym again, just to do another workout.

I also do it on the rowing machine, one, because it's more of a full-body workout than most cardio machines and two, when I've tried to do it on the elliptical, I feel like the damn bolts are gonna come apart or the whole thing will tip over.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    4/02/2009 6:47am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    It's the best I've got. The track at the gym isn't in fantastic shape, and neither are my knees. I figure I'll jack up the resistance a little and that should do just as well.

Thanks to everyone else who responded. Like the saying goes, the best exercise to do is the one you WILL do.
    You could always try Tabata exercises?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast