Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2009 10:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Was Savate’s Drop Kick from Pro Wrestling?"

Interesting article at martialhistory.com - http://martialhistory.com/2007/11/wa...pro-wrestling/ .

Personally, I'd say that while Bruce Tegner's demo of the drop kick in his (very idiosyncratic) book on savate probably was influenced by pro-wrestling, it doesn't follow that savate itself was influenced in that way. I don't think I've ever seen a similar kick in any other savate manual.

That said, Tegner's jumping kicks were impressive ...

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 1:03am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DdlR, as a former pro wrestler, what are your thought on the drop kick outside of a pro wrestling context? Also, any pointers on playing around with the drop kick in an open minded sparring group? I've never done one, but it seems like a fun thing to figure out on the heavy bag and try out in some friendly sparring.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 1:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would depend on the context. The true dropkick (as opposed to a jumping double sidekick) basically commits you to falling onto your forearms regardless of whether it works or not, so it would probably be a bad mistake in any sort of sparring in which the other guy was free to jump you while you're on the ground. I can see it maybe working in TKD sparring, unless they have some rule about not deliberately falling after you attack, but even then it wouldn't exactly be high-percentage.

Tip re. actually executing the kick is to get your forward (forearm) breakfalls down cold before you practice the dropkick, and obviously, only try it on a soft floor surface.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 6:23am

Style: aikido, medieval fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello
    I think at that time and in that context, it was very likely to be from Pro wrestling.

That being said chausson has a fair amount of kicks where your hands are on the floor or grabbing something like a ship railing or a table.
    So there is probably an argument that drop kicks are an evolution of that when landing was less hazardous.
    phil

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 8:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True, but the chausson defences tend to be counters when the opponent has grabbed your kicking leg, rather than "flying kicks" per se. Pro-wrestling "tradition" dates the drop-kick to the '30s ... it would be interesting to be able to track down exactly where that move came from, although I think the chances are it just came about by some wrestlers fooling around during training.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 6:00pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I imagine being drop kicked in the face during a sparring match would be quite painful and full of win for those watching.

Miss, however, and your a douche

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/02/2009 2:02am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    I imagine being drop kicked in the face during a sparring match would be quite painful and full of win for those watching.

Miss, however, and your a douche
    I was thinking to the body. A drop kick to the face is a bit more than I'm willing to dish out in a sparring match. Maybe I'm just too nice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2009 8:51am

Style: aikido, medieval fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    True, but the chausson defences tend to be counters when the opponent has grabbed your kicking leg, rather than "flying kicks" per se. Pro-wrestling "tradition" dates the drop-kick to the '30s ... it would be interesting to be able to track down exactly where that move came from, although I think the chances are it just came about by some wrestlers fooling around during training.
    Yes that sounds the most likely to me as well. I think we can say that given what savate was at the time of the book. The drop kick is definitely not part of it.

Even if we were to lean towards chausson de Marseille origin, which seems to have high kick where you brace on the floor to gain stability, any form of chausson was not really practiced since the late 1800 so realistically it is much less probable than the two wrestler goofing around.
    phil

Posted On:
    4/02/2009 9:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's video out on the blagotubes of an off-duty cop doing a full-tilt running drop kick (precisely like this) to a bank robber. Blew my mind back in 2005 or so.

And hey, Bruce Tegner? American Judo, right?

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    4/02/2009 1:24pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    There's video out on the blagotubes of an off-duty cop doing a full-tilt running drop kick (precisely like this) to a bank robber. Blew my mind back in 2005 or so.
    I don't think this is the one your talking about, but it's the only one I could find on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQez4jQO81c
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast