Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 5:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Nagging Injuries

So, after a BJJ class or two... I'm BACK on the injured list.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm just falling into the trap of training like I'm twenty when I'm turning 35, or if I'm just THAT damn injury prone. One might consider that I came back from a starting point of having a massive VitD deficiency/osteomalacia just under two years ago -- Am I just overdoing it?

Anyway, this time I broke a toe. Stupid injury. Not paying enough attention, meandered too close to a bike, and just kerbashed my foot right into the base of the damn thing.

Two weeks, minimum. 6-8 weeks to heal. Gimping around work in the inflatable stormtrooper boot for a while.

It seems like the way my training has gone lately has been: Train one week. Get injured. Out four weeks. Repeat.

Naturally, this has gotten frustrating as hell.

Meanwhile, breaking my toe on my right foot got me to realize just how jacked up my oft-reinjured left knee has gotten to be. I can't actually get up with that leg, the knee won't support my body weight anymore. Apparently, I've been using the other leg to compensate in such a way for such a time I didn't even really notice how much of an imbalance was going on, there.

Is it just age? Just a year of **** luck? Time to say hell with it and hang up the gloves? Seems like a year of wasted time, training-wise, as I've spent the vast majority of it recovering from injuries. Time to retire to the pasture of wing chun? *laugh*

Any of ya'll get into one of these phases, either lousy luck or age-related, or a mix of the two? What do you do with the down time?

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 5:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just turned 30, knees arent getting better, just worse. i think it's age dude. getting old sucks. i think this is why logans run was invented.
    :new_all_c

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 5:51am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo View Post
    just turned 30, knees arent getting better, just worse. i think it's age dude. getting old sucks. i think this is why logans run was invented.
    Hollywood BS. There's no way he could've done all of that running without blowing out a knee.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 8:38am

Style: Not sure anymore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 37 and still train very hard in spite of a bad lower back. I just had coddle blocks for it and was able to train really good afterwards (two days later actually). The thing I'm trying to figure out how to find a proper balance between work, and rest....or easier work/just some activity?

Marasmos

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 8:15pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know guys in their 50s who train as hard (at least) as I do. It's all about being smart. Your toes didn't get any more brittle with age, trust me.

It's all in your head.

With me, I found that the trick is staying within my limits. I tend to get injured when I push myself too hard and get reckless. The single biggest injury reducing thing I've ever done is ramp up my cardio. The less time I spend rolling while gassed, the less I get hurt.
    You say what about my rice?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 8:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HAPKO3 View Post
    I know guys in their 50s who train as hard (at least) as I do. It's all about being smart. Your toes didn't get any more brittle with age, trust me.

It's all in your head.

With me, I found that the trick is staying within my limits. I tend to get injured when I push myself too hard and get reckless. The single biggest injury reducing thing I've ever done is ramp up my cardio. The less time I spend rolling while gassed, the less I get hurt.
    True to an extent (Though in the case of recurrence of osteomalacia, your bones technically DO get more brittle).

A big part of the issue is that old injuries never properly fixed when I was twenny-somethin' are making themselves more obnoxious. No doubt constantly trying to compensate for this or that gimpy body part can make one a bit careless with the opposite side.