228418 Bullies, 4097 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 81 to 90 of 674
Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112131959 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. JP is offline
    JP's Avatar

    It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,290

    Posted On:
    3/31/2009 5:42pm

    supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiningwolf View Post
    I do believe Silat works, my dad and uncle used to spar Silat guys way back when, but since you don't wan anecdotes i won't get into that.

    My dad also told me (before i started getting into MA stuff) that 95% of people that start martial arts end up wasting their time because they don't practice or are just idiots that suck. Now taking an art thats had a lot of time to get watered down, you'd think it'll be even HARDER for good Silat person to come out of the barrel.

    I mean hell, look at all those Shotokan guys that got their **** kicked in MMA, then all of the the Shotokan guys who get their **** kicked in just normal, local sparring. So by that logic Shotokan would be completely useless, but there's also that ONE person (or more) in any style that manages to apply it and make it work (like Lyoto in my Shotokan example).

    All in all, it depends on the practitioner, just like ANY other style. BJJ probably has shitty people, and Silat probably has some good ones. The difference between the two is just the ratio of how many people suck and how many that don't.

    I'm gonna exclude Neo-ninja-ness (Bujinkan) from this though, i'm sorry but no. Even Aikido has it's usefulness against extremely drunk dumbasses.
    I really hate being an internet prick. Really I do.

    But did you even read this thread before you dropped this little nugget in it?

    Or take time to get the site's overall manifesto?
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

    -excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.
  2. matrixdutch is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    49

    Posted On:
    3/31/2009 5:51pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Pekiti

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think in an old thread that someone mentioned Herman Suwanda watching a tape of Leo Gaje doing some panantukan, and afterwards he said that this is how high level Silat looks.

    Does anyone have any good videos demonstrating Silat?
  3. jimmywangyu is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    46

    Posted On:
    3/31/2009 8:07pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    I have. And so have two other people on this thread.
    I daresay that indicates a trend.



    Hey, remember the part of this thread where I was looking for documented evidence, and not empty conjecture about ultra-killer Silat that none have seen?
    I do.
    It seems the only way to convince you would be for some footage or that you fight a Silat teacher, a real one, not some fake dude....

    The only stuff I can find on youtube is all demo stuff. They probably will have a cage fighter one day, they just gotta get used to the rules...Can not tell you when, but I have confidence that it is a good art

    As far as cults go, it comes with anything and everything in life - one could say gangs are cults, because they are killing each other over a colour, which is absurd and meaningless.
  4. theotherserge is offline
    theotherserge's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North of San Francisco
    Posts
    4,458

    Posted On:
    3/31/2009 8:08pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a KunTao Gathering DVD. It's variable dependng on who is demo'ing (this from a Sambo/Russ-combatives dude); the Gartin stuff makes me think that he's suvived because he is mildly insane. He shows a stance that looks like a deep Taiji lunge and pops out one of the many knives he has about himself.

    Hell, if you were one of the poor bastards that ran into Gartin at a bar and you saw him go all Quai-Jang Kane you'd probably laugh, until he cut off your nose or whatever.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)
  5. JP is offline
    JP's Avatar

    It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,290

    Posted On:
    3/31/2009 8:10pm

    supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge View Post
    I have a KunTao Gathering DVD. It's variable dependng on who is demo'ing (this from a Sambo/Russ-combatives dude); the Gartin stuff makes me think that he's suvived because he is mildly insane. He shows a stance that looks like a deep Taiji lunge and pops out one of the many knives he has about himself.

    Hell, if you were one of the poor bastards that ran into Gartin at a bar and you saw him go all Quai-Jang Kane you'd probably laugh, until he cut off your nose or whatever.

    It's been proven on the bodies of many police officers around the world. Retard + Knife = serious fucking problem.

    Doesn't matter how crazy or stupid they might be. Knives are scary. People who like to use knives are even scarier.

    Serge, is that a Dune quote in your signature?
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

    -excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.
  6. selfcritical is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    2,428

    Posted On:
    3/31/2009 9:31pm


     Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by matrixdutch View Post
    I think in an old thread that someone mentioned Herman Suwanda watching a tape of Leo Gaje doing some panantukan, and afterwards he said that this is how high level Silat looks.

    Does anyone have any good videos demonstrating Silat?
    Yeah, a lot of filipino clinch and ground work looks like silat as done by a really angry Greco guy.
  7. Jim_Jude is offline
    Jim_Jude's Avatar

    Shime Waza Test Dummy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555

    Posted On:
    3/31/2009 10:23pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killing Moon View Post
    Uh, I’ll have to interject here and say, “yes”.

    I think the general perception that your style moving Live has to look like the forms is pretty ridiculous, to say the least. There are concepts and methods within forms, yes. But that doesn’t mean it has to look like the forms themselves.

    A good example of this on the Karate sides are Lyoto and Andy Hug. Both are from Karate backgrounds and both display the trademark attributes when fighting. Neither of which totally and completely ape the forms that they’re familiar with.

    What gives styles their “flavor” is the strategies and habits that come with them. And on the better spectrum, the strategies and habits derived from sparring.

    Cung always displays a strong amount of trademark attributes of CMAs in his Sanshou. From the way he side thrusts to push away, his Scissor takedowns, the throwing habits that are trademarks of Kuai Jiao and even his kicking variations. Hell, the Catch to Sweep throw that he used on Frank was very indicative of typical Sanshou fighters from CMAs backgrounds.

    Your argument doesn’t make much sense, really.
    Actually, if you would have quoted the rest of my post, YOUR argument wouldn't have made much sense. besides the fact that every thing that you pointed out as typical to Sanshou would easily apply to a Silat player that got into MMA.

    Also... Silat = Weapons. PERIOD. Yes, there are empty hand applications, but ALL styles of Silat consider weapons, on both sides. It's a fucking combat art, not a sport. Silat practitioners are very quick to distinguish between sport Silat "players" and Silat fighters. If a Silat fighter were to take up MMA, I figure the expression of their Silat would be damn near anyone elses, but maybe with some particular ways to apply the strikes. They'd probably work some BJJ into the mix to put in some ground grappling, since most forms of Silat have a fair bit of ground striking.
    Odds are, though, it's not gonna happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    So why don't you show me some?


    Because I don't care.
    & FYI, no one else cares enough either. Read my fucking posts, I abhore repeating myself.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
  8. Hedgehogey is offline
    Hedgehogey's Avatar

    Tsun-Derrorist

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    5,330

    Posted On:
    3/31/2009 10:28pm

    supporting member
     Style: ^_^

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. You're all NO LESS A PERSONAGE THAN, OH I DUNNO, A LITTLE CHINAMAN NAMED BRUCE H. LEE CONSIDERED SILAT A VALUABLE ADDITION TO THEIR ARSENAL BECAUSE HUBGLUB ANGRY BURSTS OF SEMEN ABOUT MY EYES because you don't care. And you're continuing to not care for three pages (at forty posts per page) now.


    "The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

    RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

    THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

    It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children
  9. Jim_Jude is offline
    Jim_Jude's Avatar

    Shime Waza Test Dummy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555

    Posted On:
    3/31/2009 11:02pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Yeah. You're all NO LESS A PERSONAGE THAN, OH I DUNNO, A LITTLE CHINAMAN NAMED BRUCE H. LEE CONSIDERED SILAT A VALUABLE ADDITION TO THEIR ARSENAL BECAUSE HUBGLUB ANGRY BURSTS OF SEMEN ABOUT MY EYES because you don't care. And you're continuing to not care for three pages (at forty posts per page) now.
    Oh me gad. You're fucking kidding me, child?

    Here' I'll spoon feed you the knowledge.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    So I don't like Silat. Not one bit. I like it even less than I like Ninjutsu and Aikido.
    But then I keep running across all these folks on Bullshido and MAP who insist that ZOMG Silat Totally Rules!! And hey, I'm an open minded guy. So I'd like to make an open invitation to give me evidence contrary to my overwhelmingly negative impression of Silat. Show some Silat that isn't garbage.
    Here are my conditions:
    -Show me, don't tell me: that is, post videos. If I wanted anecdotes about the totally hardcore training you do at your Silat school which is way better than everyone else's Silat school, then I'd be posting this on MAP.
    -In particular, post videos of people actually fighting. I've already found my fill of youtube clutter of STREET SILAT REAL SELF DEFENSE RAH demos on how deadly Silat is the deadliest of all arts against a compliant opponent who means you no harm.
    -Ideally,said people fighting should be those who fight for a living, or at least as one of their principle hobbies. Backyard MMA matches and sparring sessions are less impressive, and demonstrate the effectiveness of Silat about as well as my butterfly kick at the Detroit Throwdown demonstrated the "effectiveness" of performance wushu.
    -Explain to me how what is going on in said video is related to Silat. For example, when I watch Serkan Yilmaz fight, I can tell that he did TKD because of the way he kicks; when I watch Lyoto Machida, I can see the Shotokan influence in his footwork.
    -I realize that at least someone out there is already queing up there favorite fifty dog brothers videos, but I'm much more interested in watching people fight without weapons. That's what my training is in, and that's where my most of my interest resides.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Hey, remember the part of this thread where I was looking for documented evidence...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    So why don't you show me some?


    So, dipshit, riddle me the **** this: do I not care enough to post, or do I not care enough to completely revamp my Silat style for MMA competition, go train my ass off, spending my own time and money and hard work, in order to get into MMA competition, AND use my fractured and bastardized MMA Silat successfully, and THEN videotape it, and THEN break everything down and analyze it & ****...
    JUST TO PROVE TO THIS TheMightyMcClaw KID THAT SILAT "DOESN'T SUCK"???

    Do you get it now? I DON'T CARE. I don't care enough to rewrite my life just to make someone's unreasonable Internet request happy, & I don't know anyone that does.
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 3/31/2009 11:07pm at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
  10. theotherserge is offline
    theotherserge's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North of San Francisco
    Posts
    4,458

    Posted On:
    3/31/2009 11:44pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    It's been proven on the bodies of many police officers around the world. Retard + Knife = serious fucking problem.

    Doesn't matter how crazy or stupid they might be. Knives are scary. People who like to use knives are even scarier.
    You forgot "crazy people who like knife fighting and are good at it, regardless of technique"?

    There is some abysmal stuff out there: basically Ed Parker Eagle Claw+fancy(i.e.useless) knife work. And then there are the gems. An Uncle Chaz quote I like, "knife fights are simple, let the warm blood out and the cold air in."

    Serge, is that a Dune quote in your signature?
    I look forward to a future with human computers, sexually proficient Witches and the awakening of the Sleeper.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)
Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112131959 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.