232768 Bullies, 3497 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 591 to 600 of 674
Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960 61626364 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. bakuma is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28

    Posted On:
    10/04/2012 12:45pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    Following your logic, the restaurants with no customers, are in fact the best ones!
    Or the doctor who lost the most patients actually....etc.

    I understand americans know preciously little about the outside world, so lemme tell you...
    Indonesia was most of its existance a colony..of....the dutch.
    They were bitches of the dutch!
    The least heroic people of europe!
    owned by the friggin dutch....
    Now can you believe if pencak silat really worked they wouldnt have kicked those invaders out?!
    No, they stayed our bitches for over almost 4 centuries!

    THE DUTCH...let it sink in...

    Carry on.
    Philippines was Spanish colony for 3 centuries.
    China never colonized.
    What's the point of your logic? Kungfu works while FMA doesn't work?

    Before Indonesia exist, the archipelago actually consists of hundreds of smaller kingdoms who constantly fighting with each other.
    The Dutch just taking advantage of the situation by making allies and betrayal.
    The awareness to unify under one nation just begun at early 1900, and after WWII the new nation Indonesia finally kicked Dutch out of their country.
    Last edited by bakuma; 10/04/2012 1:02pm at .
  2. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,683

    Posted On:
    10/04/2012 1:18pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bakuma View Post
    Philippines was Spanish colony for 3 centuries.
    Spain was a bunch of ruthless conquerors too. Ever heard of the New World?

    China never colonized.
    You might say that Han Chinese colonized other Chinese. Qin too. Or China in Southeast Asia during the spread of Communism. Wait, are you saying they were never colonized by someone else? Because I think the Japanese occupation during WW2 counts. **** was rough.
    Before Indonesia exist, the archipelago actually consists of hundreds of smaller kingdoms who constantly fighting with each other.
    That archipelago has also been united for long stretches pre European contact, by the Srivijayan and Majapahit empires.
    The Dutch just taking advantage of the situation by making allies and betrayal.
    The awareness to unify under one nation just begun at early 1900, and after WWII the new nation Indonesia finally kicked Dutch out of their country.
    Certainly the modern state formation was a new concept to the people there, but conflict with foreigners coming on boats was quite well known.
  3. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,583

    Posted On:
    10/04/2012 1:19pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bakuma View Post
    .
    China never colonized.
    Hong Kong?
    also
    Lost the two "opium wars"
    Got its ass kicked badly by the Japaneses during WW2.
  4. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,583

    Posted On:
    10/04/2012 1:46pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister-6000 View Post
    When someone is in a bjj tournament or in someone's guard their counter usually involves body placement, reversals, getting out of half guard, etc in order to gently transition into a choke, a gradual armbar, etc.
    Actually quite wrong. In a tournament its usually very fast and very violent. You usually only see genital transition into a submission in training where you don't want to hurt your training partner. A submission can be slapped on very hard and fast. It sucks bad when it happens.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister-6000 View Post
    Silat is very violent and sudden and involves offsetting the spine, neck or joint breaks, that just do not work in exactly the same testing scenario.
    First off its not as easy as you think it is to "off sett" the spine, neck or joints without actually having a superior position where you can generate enough leverage to actually do so.
    Second of we do all of those things in BJJ and submission wrestling. The twister is an example of a "spine lock".
    You can pressure test by taking away some tools for the safety of your partner but in general you would have no uke's left if you pressure tested, locking out their shins, sweeping and stomping on them, offsetting their spine before striking them with your forearm in the neck and other ways you systematically break down the opponent's structure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister-6000 View Post
    I never said i was the measure of a martial artist or pressure testing
    Yet you keep using yourself as an example since it works on you it must work.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister-6000 View Post
    but i have come from a very hard style goju ryu, full contact, kick to the face, punches to the face background and I am very fast, muscular and athletic.
    See right here your trying to say your limited pointless experience means you can make a judgement call on Siliat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister-6000 View Post
    I have been put on my face by a 145lb filipino silat practitioner who caught my punch and did an arm bar takedown with one arm by using his shoulder, sweeping and stomping on me.
    I have been thrown, choked out and limb locked by Old Men (70s-80s) and Young Boy and Girls (12+ yeas old) in Judo and BJJ. People I had significant physical capabilities to including speed and strength.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister-6000 View Post
    I have trained at an MMA school about 3 months and my hand techniques that came from silat were doing real good against boxing.
    lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister-6000 View Post
    Bjj and every other authentic art teaches chains based on submission techniques and counters......he resists this and you flow into "X" or he moves this way so that takes him right into "Z".
    Not exactly once again maybe you should stop talking about BJJ since you don't know anything about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister-6000 View Post
    Old school silat is built off a platform that is very layered. It makes sense and has an idea behind everything that is done. Skillsets are slowly trained. You dont typically see any silat vs MMA matches in an octagon because it is focused more on the self defense aspects.
    BJJ is focused on Self Defense that works very well, it also happens to work very well in no rules fighting such as Vale Tudo, and fights with rules like MMA. You see when something works it is also flexible to changing conditions. In fact for it to work it has to be flexible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister-6000 View Post
    Dog brothers are good, it just shows that east asian arts can work in a pressure tested way. They took what worked best for them and like everyone, we have different body types and are better at certain skills. Paul Vunak and other modern instructors like to play with techniques in an alive manner.
    No one is debating if east asian arts work, we know that they do. We are well aware of who the Dog brothers are and what they represent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister-6000 View Post
    When you open up your mind to getting involved in different arts you may evolve more as a martial artist or at the very least you expand your perception and you may find a technique or two that is fun to play with or incorporate in your own arsenal.
    See this is where your making a big assumption in that our minds are not open. I am always interested in seeing effective martial arts and new techniques hence why I train in a martial art that is very alive that is constantly changing that is constantly explored and changed. Competition does this, it causes continued evolution of an art. If something works gets worked in, if something doesn't work it gets worked out. As things get worked in and out new and old ideas are retried to see if they work now.
    What I am not interested in is highly choreographed Bull **** that doesn't work against a resisting opponent who has unlimited options. IE what you find in a self defense situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister-6000 View Post
    I know that all the members on here want to 'strongly deduce' that there cant possibly be any good silat instructors or it is just silly and has no relevance to real world fighting well link up with a couple people and get involved and then make your mind up. Make some calls, talk to people that have been doing it for years, have them show you some techniques or ask them why they still do it. We are martial artists are we not? Why be so predjudiced towards other styles and maintain the Im better than you without becoming more rounded as a person and more open in general. I myself find value in almost all martial arts even though I am partial to some more than others. Im not too concerned about being butt hurt or winning style wars.
    1000s of people practice the art and we have yet to see any evidence of it being any good. It simply shouldn't be that hard to find evidence of it working.
    I can find evidence of every other alive art working.
  5. Ignorami is offline
    Ignorami's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,539

    Posted On:
    10/04/2012 2:23pm


     Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the Dutch colonised us, I'd be basically pretty happy to let it go.

    The Indonesians probably looked at their new rulers and thought "we are allowed to what now? Awesome!"


    When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

    "what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti
  6. TheMightyMcClaw is online now
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar

    MADE OF STEEL!

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,446

    Posted On:
    10/04/2012 2:43pm

    supporting member
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bakuma View Post
    Philippines was Spanish colony for 3 centuries.
    China never colonized.
    What's the point of your logic? Kungfu works while FMA doesn't work?
    Pssh, the **** you say the Chinese were never colonized. They were conquered by the fucking Manchus - a bunch of nearsighted horse-archers who couldn't tell an arquebus from a repeater rifle.
    If that's doesn't prove the inefficacy of CMA, I don't know what does.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.
  7. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,583

    Posted On:
    10/04/2012 2:48pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bakuma View Post
    Philippines was Spanish colony for 3 centuries.
    China never colonized.
    What's the point of your logic? Kungfu works while FMA doesn't work?
    Apparently FMA doesn't work vs HEMA
  8. Chili Pepper is offline
    Chili Pepper's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,259

    Posted On:
    10/04/2012 2:50pm


     Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Hong Kong?
    also
    Lost the two "opium wars"
    Got its ass kicked badly by the Japaneses during WW2.
    And let us not forget what the Boxer Rebellion was named after.
  9. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,683

    Posted On:
    10/04/2012 2:50pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Pssh, the **** you say the Chinese were never colonized. They were conquered by the fucking Manchus
    They were also conquered by a whole bunch of different people we now call "the Chinese".
  10. BJMills is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    480

    Posted On:
    10/04/2012 2:51pm


     Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel like there is a ninja vs. pirates discussion in here somewhere.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.