Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 8485455565758 59606162 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 9:56pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister-6000 View Post
    There's a lot of people that get a lot out of silat and its exotic and effective techniques like leverage throws, even Erik Paulson added silat in his repertoire.
    So? One of my students took some of the efficient weight transfer techniques from swing dancing and added it to his repetoire ("ballistic cuddle" being his favourite).

When Paulson starts using langkhas for his basic training, I'll sit up and take notice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 11:21pm

Style: JJ, Karate, JKD, Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    Do you not see, in each of those videos, an uke (to use a Japanese term) executing a single compliant attack after which the instructor goes through a series of parries, counters, and takedowns while the attacker just stands there?

Yes, when someone is demonstrating a technique for the purposes of teaching they need a compliant attacker, but at some point as the number of counter attacks adds up, reality begins to fall away.

Watch a Muay Thai demo, you will never see someone counter a round kick with three or four moves while the guy just stands there. Same with Judo, wrestling or BJJ. That does not mean these arts don't work combinations but those combinations are predicated on the fact that the opponent is moving and actively trying to counter, not standing around with an arm or leg held out.

If those are the kinds of people you are fighting, you don't actually need to train.
    Oh please. Yes, these attacks are just demo's and they should not be anything more unless you want mangled uke's. If you could get ahold of any of these punch feeders ask them during the class, during the seminar, during any other time what has happened when they tried to counter a skilled silat guru or what it feels to be like once in their space. They will tell you that their mind was changed. I came from a hard school background and got my ass kicked once i visited a silat class. Not like a fair exchange of technique, more in the way that if i attacked then i was gonna get it. I went to a guru debordes seminar. I cant remember being around someone so fast, dominating and powerful. Makes you wanna freeze up or close your eyes and pray that your arm isnt broken in blink or two or that your spine is still intact. Everything is a lot more powerful and explosive in silat. A good way to say it is you are just shut down. but as usual waste of time to speak one's mind on bs shido unless it does not follow the religious beliefs of the cult mma followers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2012 12:16am

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh please. Yes, these attacks are just demo's and they should not be anything more unless you want mangled uke's. If you could get ahold of any of these punch feeders ask them during the class, during the seminar, during any other time what has happened when they tried to counter a skilled silat guru or what it feels to be like once in their space. They will tell you that their mind was changed. I came from a hard school background and got my ass kicked once i visited a silat class. Not like a fair exchange of technique, more in the way that if i attacked then i was gonna get it. I went to a guru debordes seminar. I cant remember being around someone so fast, dominating and powerful. Makes you wanna freeze up or close your eyes and pray that your arm isnt broken in blink or two or that your spine is still intact. Everything is a lot more powerful and explosive in silat. A good way to say it is you are just shut down. but as usual waste of time to speak one's mind on bs shido unless it does not follow the religious beliefs of the cult mma followers
    So... despite all the righteous fury that you KNOW is solar all you've got to show for proof is some crappy videos which- I might add- your response to my criticism is 'oh please.'

You can blame us for being skeptical all you want but evidence of silat working against non compliant opponents doesn't seem to be easy to come by, does it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2012 12:56am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pointless rant that proves nothing
    Do this:

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    -Show me, don't tell me: that is, post videos. If I wanted anecdotes about the totally hardcore training you do at your Silat school which is way better than everyone else's Silat school, then I'd be posting this on MAP.
    -In particular, post videos of people actually fighting. I've already found my fill of youtube clutter of STREET SILAT REAL SELF DEFENSE RAH demos on how deadly Silat is the deadliest of all arts against a compliant opponent who means you no harm.
    -Ideally,said people fighting should be those who fight for a living, or at least as one of their principle hobbies. Backyard MMA matches and sparring sessions are less impressive, and demonstrate the effectiveness of Silat about as well as my butterfly kick at the Detroit Throwdown demonstrated the "effectiveness" of performance wushu.
    and everything will be fine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2012 1:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Do this:

and everything will be fine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2012 2:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what exactly about that video remotely resembled Silat, or to put it more eloquently...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2012 2:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    So what exactly about that video remotely resembled Silat, or to put it more eloquently...
    The Silat guy only utilizes his basic punching, kicking skills. Nothing fancy.

Posted On:
    10/04/2012 2:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh please. Yes, these attacks are just demo's and they should not be anything more unless you want mangled uke's.
    Yeah I mean its not like its possible to have full contact stick fighting or anything

If you could get ahold of any of these punch feeders ask them during the class, during the seminar, during any other time what has happened when they tried to counter a skilled silat guru or what it feels to be like once in their space.
    Yes I know what you mean their aura is so powerful and jungle cat like, I can feel it overwhelm me.

I came from a hard school background
    Maybe then you should put it in your style field cause yeah I am not seeing **** with aliveness in it now

and got my ass kicked once i visited a silat class.
    So your now the measure of martial arts?

Makes you wanna freeze up or close your eyes and pray that your arm isnt broken in blink or two or that your spine is still intact.
    So your body goes to flight instead of fight mode interesting for someone who is now the new measure of Martial Arts.

but as usual waste of time to speak one's mind on bs shido unless it does not follow the religious beliefs of the cult mma followers
    Yeah cause you know we mostly like this thing called proof something you completely failed to deliver. Instead you gave us some pretty shitty anecdotes about how your a *****.
    Also wrong cult its not mma we are an Aliveness cult try and get it right in the future.

Posted On:
    10/04/2012 2:38am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    waste of time to speak one's mind on bs shido unless it does not follow the religious beliefs of the cult mma followers
    As one of Bullshido's Aikidoka, I find this offensive.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2012 2:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That amateur fight video is hardly a ringing endorsement for classical solar.

Certainly not like it is done in any juros I've ever seen. Haven't seen to many sprawl and hammer fist techniques in classic silat either.

Maybe he has done a bit off cross training, no?

No parries with rapid fire multi-hit follow ups. No mortal kombat leg sweeps. Nothing but sloppy sprawl and brawl against an opponent repeatedly going for ineffective single leg takedowns.

I appreciate that the guy may come from a silat background but how many people, even silat people, do you think would correctly identify his style if you just randomly posted the video as an amateur MMA fight?

Honestly, his opponent shoots a single and he sprawls and starts hammerfisting... you're telling me that is silat?
    Last edited by BJMills; 10/04/2012 2:44am at .