--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 12:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bakuma View Post
    A video of people who don't keep their hands up being knocked out proves what again?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tarung Derajat isn't really silat though, is it? It just seems to share the same country of origin.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 12:50pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Looks like full contact point karate.
    2. Looks like bad full contact point karate. Since as Goodlun pointed out they don't bother to keep their hands up.
    3. Even as bad full contact point karate it looks absolutuely nothing like silat.

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 1:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pakua42 View Post
    (Yeah, try to convince me you are an adult now.) Anyway, anyone that is on this form that says F.U. to another commentor, whether deserved or not, has no business even being here and will never have the real essence of a spiritual Warrior.
    Hey, **** You.

And I'd like to know, Im mot kidding, what percentage of the members here have a criminal record, compared to the avg population? There are just too many people here who strike out verbally before they think. Thats a "prison mentality."
    You want to look up my criminal record? Feel free, you won't find much. What does that prove? Nothing! Idiot!

I think it is deadly, an incredibly beautiful street art, but there is a reason the Dog Bros, took stick fighting from the jungle arts and simplified it so anyone can do it.
    Which shows that you don't know **** about DBMA.

One is not better than the other...it depends what you want. Thats my opinion after living over 50 years on this planet
    Oooh! Wippidy do!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 1:50pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And I'd like to know, Im mot kidding, what percentage of the members here have a criminal record, compared to the avg population? There are just too many people here who strike out verbally before they think. Thats a "prison mentality."
    Actually that's quite opposite prison mentality. A guy who goes into prison with the attitude that he's gonna strike out verbally without thinking is asking for serious trouble.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 3:43pm

Style: JJ, Karate, JKD, Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you dont mind me asking what was the name of the school you trained at? Just because you trained at one crappy silat school does not negate its long lived history due partly too its success in jungles, around cannibals, pirates, crooks and other crazy people with knives. Ive been to a bad bjj school but I did not discount bjj as an effective art.

I personally believe the difference between indonesian and filipino martial arts are minimal but i usually see filipino weapons work staying at a farther range and they like to plink sticks a lot, some of the empty hand movements also may involve a lot of arm circling or fancy attacks but there is a meeting line as well where many styles appear to be the almost the same as their neighbors. There's a lot of people that get a lot out of silat and its exotic and effective techniques like leverage throws, even Erik Paulson added silat in his repertoire.

I have come across a couple silat teachers that....when they are really good, you feel helpless as soon as they engage you. I think Richard de bordes is one of them. Just my two cents though. Some people that come to silat started or continue to practice other arts, even bjj, wrestling, etc. One area where people fall out of favor is that silat is a very complicated, multi-layer martial art and requires extensive training in footwork and basics to build the base up to do more complicated techniques dealing with sweeps, trips, strikes and combining them all at once sometimes.

http://youtu.be/hLP2MJPMu7M

http://youtu.be/erR_akDbMeA

http://youtu.be/FB4W9pQBvyE

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 3:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its so cute that you think these 3 videos HELP your case

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 5:38pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister-6000 View Post
    If you dont mind me asking what was the name of the school you trained at? Just because you trained at one crappy silat school does not negate its long lived history due partly too its success in jungles, around cannibals, pirates, crooks and other crazy people with knives. Ive been to a bad bjj school but I did not discount bjj as an effective art.

I personally believe the difference between indonesian and filipino martial arts are minimal but i usually see filipino weapons work staying at a farther range and they like to plink sticks a lot, some of the empty hand movements also may involve a lot of arm circling or fancy attacks but there is a meeting line as well where many styles appear to be the almost the same as their neighbors. There's a lot of people that get a lot out of silat and its exotic and effective techniques like leverage throws, even Erik Paulson added silat in his repertoire.

I have come across a couple silat teachers that....when they are really good, you feel helpless as soon as they engage you. I think Richard de bordes is one of them. Just my two cents though. Some people that come to silat started or continue to practice other arts, even bjj, wrestling, etc. One area where people fall out of favor is that silat is a very complicated, multi-layer martial art and requires extensive training in footwork and basics to build the base up to do more complicated techniques dealing with sweeps, trips, strikes and combining them all at once sometimes.

http://youtu.be/hLP2MJPMu7M

http://youtu.be/erR_akDbMeA

http://youtu.be/FB4W9pQBvyE
    Do you not see, in each of those videos, an uke (to use a Japanese term) executing a single compliant attack after which the instructor goes through a series of parries, counters, and takedowns while the attacker just stands there?

Yes, when someone is demonstrating a technique for the purposes of teaching they need a compliant attacker, but at some point as the number of counter attacks adds up, reality begins to fall away.

Watch a Muay Thai demo, you will never see someone counter a round kick with three or four moves while the guy just stands there. Same with Judo, wrestling or BJJ. That does not mean these arts don't work combinations but those combinations are predicated on the fact that the opponent is moving and actively trying to counter, not standing around with an arm or leg held out.

If those are the kinds of people you are fighting, you don't actually need to train.

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 9:54pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Tarung Derajat isn't really silat though, is it? It just seems to share the same country of origin.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarung_Derajat

Thanks, I'd never heard of that before.