Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 1:22pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Not only is this a) trite and b) bullshit, but it is also c) totally unrelated to the topic at hand.
    He's been _ing _un pooping on a bunch of other threads too.

We already have a billion threads about the substandard nature of Wing Chun. This thread is about the substandard nature of Silat.
    <rimshot> <cymbal crash>

Posted On:
    9/21/2012 3:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

great

i found an example of traditional silat combat fightings in gareth evans films : the raid. redemption. it use cimande and betawi silat style of indonesian silat branch.
    that fight choreograph created by traditional silat practicioner.

what do you think ?...

Welterweight

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    9/21/2012 3:56am

supporting member
     Style: none

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by axian View Post

what do you think ?...
    I think you're a ****.

pro nonsense self defense

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Champion

Posted On:
    9/21/2012 11:04am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by axian View Post
    i found an example of traditional silat combat fightings in gareth evans films : the raid. redemption. it use cimande and betawi silat style of indonesian silat branch.
    that fight choreograph created by traditional silat practicioner.

what do you think ?...
    Outside given parameters:
    -In particular, post videos of people actually fighting. I've already found my fill of youtube clutter of STREET SILAT REAL SELF DEFENSE RAH demos on how deadly Silat is the deadliest of all arts against a compliant opponent who means you no harm.
    -Ideally,said people fighting should be those who fight for a living, or at least as one of their principle hobbies. Backyard MMA matches and sparring sessions are less impressive, and demonstrate the effectiveness of Silat about as well as my butterfly kick at the Detroit Throwdown demonstrated the "effectiveness" of performance wushu.
    -Explain to me how what is going on in said video is related to Silat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 12:49am

Style: Aiki, I-Chuan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Serge,

Seeing your postr on Silat now from 2009. I spent an entire day I mean 12 hours in a semi private seminar with "Uncle Bill" as my Kun-tao teacher was his direct student. I have never heard Silat or Kali on any of Uncle Bill related schools or organizations. All he calls it is Kun-tao?
    And yes he is a very scary guy. I hear his strength borders on the unreal. One of my co-students in Miami where I met Uncle Bill / Willem D., took me aside in the seminar and told me that one day when asked to demonstrate his power he punched a huge long industrial size metal dumpster and moved it like 6 inches and the guy asking for the demo never saw it,thats how fast he hit or thats how high the other guy was. I also heard several sources tell me he disgustedly one day left a karate tournament where the teacher was breaking boards and as he left the gym he punched the metal part of the door that unlocks it and dented it in pretty good and then yelled...this is REAL power! Very nice man, but the very last guy I would want to mess with. I think guys like him are born with a special gift that no amount of training by an ordinary person would let them catch up to him. Imagine him when he was in his 30's,at his peak? Anyway serge, Im 53, and a kid like yourself probably thinks Im an old man, but Im thinking of getting into Silat as ive taken 2 or 3 classes from different schools many years ago, and I find the videos of the real Indonesian guys doing it, really breathtaking. My only beef with it from what I experienced and mostly observed is you need to be pretty coordinated to make it work. To me Silat is an art you either get it...or you dont. And when the spit hits the fan is not when I want to find out. Plus depending on the teacher, many of them like to teach out of very low twisting stances which my discussion with a silat guy here in Florida told me he could work around that if I had knee problems. So I am asking if you have any thoughts or experience on Silat as well? This is my first time just browsing this board and it could get addicting. Its already 2am and I havent read the whole Silat thread yet! Jesus! I will also say I have rolled on the floor a few times as well. We have some real "beauties" on this board, thats for sure. -) Anyway, nice to meet all of you. Peace.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 1:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi pakua42,
    Let me introduce you to the area of this board you should have started

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Its called newbie town a brief stop in their would have been a smart thing before you went and **** posted all over 1/2 the board including in areas where **** posting isn't allowed.
    however this being YMAS **** post away.
    Also seriously 53 and still caught up in magical martial arts fairytale thinking?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 2:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like that. I really like that a lot, that comment by Watanabe on Judo. It kinda strikes a chord in me that "Whatever the art, it comes down to focus and heart." And that kind of self assurance cannot be learned on dvd or you tube.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 2:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm no expert in Silat, but I would venture to say that any "Jungle Art" be it Arnis, Kali, Silat,Kun-tao, and more, has got to be deadly only because of the geography they are living in. Intense heat, in many cases a poverty so bone deep that there really "is" nothing literally to lose, the history of having to fight men who are much better armed than they, a different value on life than we have,and I can go on. But to quote a famous martial artist who respects the hell out of all jungle arts but doesn't do them is this "What makes these arts so devastating is the practitioners will to withstand any amount of training, no matter how agonizing, to be ready to win when he must fight. Because unlike we US soldiers who have the option of retreat when using rifles and sophisticated weaponry, these people could only move forward or die. Who in his right mind would want to fight a well trained, conditioned man with that mind set?" So, the proof is not just in some pretty You Tube Videos(although some impressed me deeply) that you can see, but also what you cant see as well. My guess, if you are taking martial arts to deal first and foremost with life and death situations against men with pistols,knives,bottles or anything, and going to prison is not a factor in what you do, only survival is, Silat has to be in the top 10 martial arts being taught today, especially with a teacher whose own teacher is from Indonesia or Malaysia. Now...as to whether these arts are suitable for Americans who also have to work full time jobs and be good devoted fathers.......I cant say.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 2:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Naszir, you are on the wrong board. That made too much sense. We are not here for reality. But thanks anyway . Before you know it, you'll be telling us professional wrestling is occasionally fake. Were just not that deep here.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 3:11am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting, let's walk through this together, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by pakua42 View Post
    And yes he is a very scary guy. I hear his strength borders on the unreal. One of my co-students in Miami where I met Uncle Bill / Willem D., took me aside in the seminar and told me that one day when asked to demonstrate his power he punched a huge long industrial size metal dumpster and moved it like 6 inches and the guy asking for the demo never saw it,thats how fast he hit or thats how high the other guy was.
    So a guy took you aside and told you a story.
    Okay.
    Did he tell or ask you to do other things?
    You gotta be more streetsmart.

[quote]I also heard several sources tell me he disgustedly one day left a karate tournament where the teacher was breaking boards and as he left the gym he punched the metal part of the door that unlocks it and dented it in pretty good and then yelled...this is REAL power!
    [quote]

Several sources..what are you? an investigator?
    Who were these sources?
    Which karate tournement was it?
    Has uncle Bill got some angermanagement issues?
    He sees grown men damaging wood, so he gets upset and to make his point he damages the property of another school or person?
    Thats kind of weak.

Very nice man, but the very last guy I would want to mess with. I think guys like him are born with a special gift that no amount of training by an ordinary person would let them catch up to him.
    Like a mutant?
    You see him more as a mutant or as a demi-God?

Imagine him when he was in his 30's,at his peak?
    Oh I bet this guy has some FANTASTIC stories about when he was in his 30ies.
    Trust me.

Anyway serge, Im 53, and a kid like yourself probably thinks Im an old man,
    OMG! what did you just do there? meowwww! haha!
    But seriously, you are 53 years of age and you still just take anyone's story for truth?
    Wow..