3/15/2010 5:03pm

supporting member
     Style: running scared

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cimandemurid View Post
    that is silat & FMA

Jeff Imada i think worked on that.

As for Silat sucking depends who you train with. There are some that keep it like the "old way" or "old school" and there you will find some valuable gems for survival & Street Fighting & weaponry based fighting.

Peace
    Did you even bother to read the OP or did you just search for any thread with silat in it? A choreographed fight scene is not proof.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    3/16/2010 10:52pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

That guy in the second video had a nice kani bassami.
    The stances and magic hands are quite distinctive of Silat, and I'd really like to see how that plays out in a scenario where head punches and leg kicks are part of the equation.
    This is part of why I requested "no pointfighting" in the original post that nobody read; it's such a horrendously silly ruleset that people can get away with ridiculous **** in it, consequence free. Just look at TKD or karate pointfighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 1:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the Attack & Defense sparring method of Silat Perisai Diri.
    I hope this will shows the use of the stances and the 'magic hands'. :)

YouTube- Silat Perisai Diri
    YouTube- Perisai Diri
    YouTube- Silat Perisai Diri
    Last edited by bakuma; 3/17/2010 1:13am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 1:16am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've said it before and I'll say it again... next time there is a Throwdown in Orange County or San Diego area and anyone wants to do any knife sparring, I will be happy to oblige.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 2:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    That guy in the second video had a nice kani bassami.
    The stances and magic hands are quite distinctive of Silat, and I'd really like to see how that plays out in a scenario where head punches and leg kicks are part of the equation.
    This is part of why I requested "no pointfighting" in the original post that nobody read; it's such a horrendously silly ruleset that people can get away with ridiculous **** in it, consequence free. Just look at TKD or karate pointfighting.
    Yeah, I don't like the silat point fighting stuff, but the tourneys that more resemble something like kyokushin sparring like in vid#2 are fun to watch. I'm actually glad that they're not throwing elbows and palms to the head, you wouldn't get to see any good sweeps...
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 5:16am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was pretty steadily rythmic and contrived. And it sounds like there's a chicken clucking every time one of them dramatically fails to connect.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 5:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    That was pretty steadily rythmic and contrived. And it sounds like there's a chicken clucking every time one of them dramatically fails to connect.
    the "rhythmic" movement is how some of the Indonesian & Sumatran styles work, they train to music & strikin' poses, so in the tournament they're begin as if they are starting a traditional two-man form with musical accompaniment... & then they try to lay into each other.
    You can see lots of vids of that kind of thing on YouTube, same kind of movement but with no contact.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 10:39am

Style: combat Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wing chun incorporates tight technique with training for the unpredictable with chi sau. It there fore combines the best of silat's discipline with the random fighting efforts of boxing.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 1:15pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchun willie View Post
    Wing chun incorporates tight technique with training for the unpredictable with chi sau. It there fore combines the best of silat's discipline with the random fighting efforts of boxing.
    Not only is this a) trite and b) bullshit, but it is also c) totally unrelated to the topic at hand.
    We already have a billion threads about the substandard nature of Wing Chun. This thread is about the substandard nature of Silat.