Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 7:25pm

Style: None ATM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I think he is actually talking about silat not bullshido.

My bad. I misunderstood.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 7:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA Stuff + Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If this video doesn't convince you silat doesn't suck completely, nothing will. Because we all know no one can make something that sucks completely look like it doesn't suck completely like Ray the Karambit Killah

YouTube- NC FCS Gathering Sikaran clip 1

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 7:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Compliance never proves a lack of suck. EVERYTHING looks good when it's done compliantly.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 7:50pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bewotamyfwiend View Post
    I'm going to completely ignore the complaints about Demos and compliant videos by posting another Demo and compliant video.
    This is sarcasm right?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 7:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA Stuff + Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    This is sarcasm right?
    Yes, I was being very sarcastic and I saw this thread as an opportunity to point out Ray Dionaldo is the king of larping bastards because I met him once and found him an obnoxious person eating up seminar hours by ego maniacal machine gunning flowery tactics on his compliant demo guy. If not I would have posted that Silat Suffian Bela Diri guy, he's a pretty raging larper too. Anyway more typical ray dionaldo moments:YouTube- T.R.I.B.A.L. 2008

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 8:02pm

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister-6000 View Post
    Actually the takedowns are to compromise (his) position and if you noticed once he is taken down the silat practitioner either has his hands free or only needs one arm to establish total control....almost in the same way a crucifix sets you up to start pounding your opponent senseless. To the observer it may look stupid or like putting yourself in awkward positions for some of those takedowns but that is the harimau practitioners game, he is comfortable with all that.
    Obviously the purpose of a takedown is to put a person in a compromised position, but that doesn't make all of them equal or even feasible. The takedowns in that video seem to require someone to stand still and let the person performing the takedown get behind them even though they're not maintaining any control. Just stepping away renders it completely useless.

Talking about mobility silat is extremely mobile anyways. There is quite a bit of footwork training to establish speed, for flanking and closing distance. Its not like 3 beats where a guy waits for a punch, sidesteps and then flanks to the outside of the punch, silat is an art that moves in, so they have to train footwork constantly.
    Can you provide video of this footwork? The few video's I've seen of silat footwork have not impressed me and were came across as inefficient and awkward.

As far as the pressure points....2nd generation indos and dutch indonesian practioners usually have a great understanding of compliance and painful pressure points. Silat teaches these usually as transitions or distractions but does not walk up to someone and try to submit them by pinching them. Mr. Suwanda was a badass though. He was one of the most respected Gurus in the silat community, and as stated before Dan Inosanto didnt just learn from him because he wanted to add some gimmicky techniques to his system or he wanted to flash up his jkd, obviously he found use in what Suwanda had to offer.
    General consensus around here is that pressure point attacks are generally unreliable for obvious reasons. I don't doubt Mr. Suwanda knows some good stuff, but I didn't see any on that video.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 8:06pm

Style: Krotty/Crapple/Goonery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uggh, high tempo Manowar just makes half speed compliant drills look even more stupid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 8:10pm

Style: None ATM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bewotamyfwiend View Post
    Yes, I was being very sarcastic and I saw this thread as an opportunity to point out Ray Dionaldo is the king of larping bastards because I met him once and found him an obnoxious person eating up seminar hours by ego maniacal machine gunning flowery tactics on his compliant demo guy. If not I would have posted that Silat Suffian Bela Diri guy, he's a pretty raging larper too. Anyway more typical ray dionaldo moments:YouTube- T.R.I.B.A.L. 2008

His uke is very good.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    12/12/2009 6:49pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thatrugbyguy View Post
    Uggh, high tempo Manowar just makes half speed compliant drills look even more stupid.
    I wanted to say something about how they're ruining Manowar, but it's pretty much impossible to make Manowar worse.

Posted On:
    12/12/2009 9:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Kringle-Jime View Post
    I refuse to lower my standards enough to consider the Silat sparring we're seeing here worthwhile. Yes it's fantastic that an art that we've determined (over 35 pages) to consider video the same as stealing its soul has finally decided to allow itself to be filmed. Yes it's fantastic that an art apparently predicated on the silliest of ridiculous techniques is allowing some form of sparring. Yes, there were even a few so-so kick catches in the first video.

But let's not get caught up in a swirl of "they spar! WAHOOO!" Unless I'm drastically misunderstanding the rules or goals of Silat sparring, it sucks.
    Well, their hands are terrible and they would have no ability to defend against facepunches in a fistfight. That's pretty damning, but they do land several good side kicks and there are 2 nicely done osoto takedowns in that one vid. I think they do have some skill in certain areas.

I'm checking out some of the other videos. Some are worse, #7 is a decent match (if both were genetic misfits born without arms) with a lot of good takedowns on both sides.

This sort of reminds me of Taekyeon. I wouldn't want to train it, but this school doesn't offend my sensibilities either.