Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 8:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <minor derail>
    Is it just me, or would "The Jakartan Killing Machines" make a great name for a hardcore garage punk band?
    </minor derail>

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 8:50pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    With blade work yu could say the same with the indonesian and Filipino arts... people who have to dealwith these weapons swear by em.... How bout that Hedge hogey? and would you like to see the results of a cage match with bladed weapons versus a good silat blade man? there are some good dramitizations on U tube actually...

Gee mom look the BJJ guy went through a blender!
    You're like if someone crossed a tumbleweed with a queef symphony.

Most of the clips here have been empty handed. You can't just say there was a metaphorical knife in play the whole damn time.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 8:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Finding You

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    Can we just close this thread already?
    It is a rare day when Jim and I are in total agreement. That day has come.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 8:56pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    ok seriously there will be a time in your martial arts training when you might want to venture into weapons and lo and behold you may realize that there are (gasp gasp oxygen please) BETTER arts for that than Judo and BJJ.
    People train unarmed in a live manner, adding weapons doesn't excuse training in dead patterns. See, the thing is, other weapon arts can & do show their quality through sparring rather then compliant demos. Look:

YouTube - ARMA Senior-Free Scholar Prize Playing 2007

There probably aren't more HEMA guys then there are Silat guys in the world. If anything the European martial arts are a more esoteric field of study, but these guys put out video evidence of sparring. So far, the very existence of sparring in Silat seems hypothetical; certainly I've seen no evidence of it.

There seem to be a few people on here claiming that their Silat really works. The question, if this is true, is why can't they show us?

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 9:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    You're like if someone crossed a tumbleweed with a queef symphony.
    NOTHING has stimulated my imagination more today than this statement.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 2:55pm

Style: JJ, Karate, JKD, Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Originally Posted by jimmywangyu
    I think silat has good transitioning from striking into takedowns....

Would you care to provide footage of these transitions?
    Silat has GREAT striking to takedown transitions. That is perhaps one of its greatest strengths....how it blends from strikes to finish. I wont post video to respect my instructor and the knowledge of my teachers but i can give you some general examples from a right lead punch:

1)angle off to right, hook to the face with lead hand while guarding with the backhand near the wrist, swing his wrist into your right palm which is now at his left hip...like a slap catch type wrestling technique, then you walk through and past him while extending his arm. Its a projection throw, quite quick.

2) against a right lead step out to your right angling off his punch, parry with backhand and open hand slap to his face and wrap his arm in the same motion.....of course this takes speed and great timing....then sink your weight clockwise and throw him.

As you could imagine, with these entries you can add your favorite submission afterwards pretty easy. Its got great versatility.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 4:26pm

Style: JJ, Karate, JKD, Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fake Macoy View Post
    I feel that video evidence (since these videos are awesome) is necessary here. See what good trying to slam through a triangle does for Manhoef:
    YouTube - Mousasi vs Manhoef

Here's Genki Sudo destroying people with flying triangles. If you watch, you can see that it is not only very hard for people to slam in a submission, but when the 3rd guy tries, the triangle just tightens.

YouTube - Genki Sudo in Westside Tournament

Like many far more experienced and better people than myself have said, slamming doesn't always work.
    damn, Genki went thru th0se guys like butter! L0ve the r0lling leg l0ck...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 11:08pm

Style: None ATM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SBG-ape View Post
    People train unarmed in a live manner, adding weapons doesn't excuse training in dead patterns. See, the thing is, other weapon arts can & do show their quality through sparring rather then compliant demos. Look:

YouTube - ARMA Senior-Free Scholar Prize Playing 2007

There probably aren't more HEMA guys then there are Silat guys in the world. If anything the European martial arts are a more esoteric field of study, but these guys put out video evidence of sparring. So far, the very existence of sparring in Silat seems hypothetical; certainly I've seen no evidence of it.

There seem to be a few people on here claiming that their Silat really works. The question, if this is true, is why can't they show us?
    Maybe they can't search youtube?

YouTube- world silat championship 2007

I'm not a silat guy, but there is some aliveness in there. I'm not sure about the rules, but I don't see head strikes and there seems to be some chest padding used. But hey, aliveness. Dunno if this type of comp is the standard or the exception.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 11:23pm

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nnate View Post
    Maybe they can't search youtube?

YouTube- world silat championship 2007

I'm not a silat guy, but there is some aliveness in there. I'm not sure about the rules, but I don't see head strikes and there seems to be some chest padding used. But hey, aliveness. Dunno if this type of comp is the standard or the exception.
    What's with that weird spinning takedown using the legs? It doesn't seem very effective, and even when it does work the other guy ends up on top.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 11:53pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy thread necromancy, batman!

Anyways:
    Sinister: Please see original request to show, not tell about Silat. Talk is cheap. I can talk at length about how my Crab Kung Fu is the deadliest of all martial arts, but that won't prove a damn thing.
    Nnate: Please see original request for videos of somethingmore rigorousthan pointfighting. I'm aware of Silat pointfighting, and hold it in about as high of regard as Taekwondo pointfighting. Which isn't very high, but I will concede that some of those kick catches are pretty nice.
    Also, from what I understand, the pointfighting aspect of Silat is spurned by most of the Silat community at large, and most Silat schools do not train or compete in this aspect of the martial art. Still, it's better than the happy-slapping against compliant opponents and the Javanese mandancing.
    You know, I think you've done it, Nate. I will concede; Silat doesn't suck completely. On rare occasion, it rises to the level of TKD and krotty pointfighting.