Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 12:05pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    Video evidence exists for these concepts as stated, with the triangle used by Filipino Kali guys and utilized byt eh Dog brothers in fighting matches as well as Sayok Kali guys in fighting matches.... I mean 1 point 2 this **** is on video!
    Kali and Escrima are not Silat. That'd be like you (ninjas) claiming credit for Judo. Which i'm sure you would, given half a chance.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 12:16pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bjj has a built in sport way of transitioning whereas silat creates openings with pinches.
    Why is your art completely dependant on foreplay?

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 12:17pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1point2: Personal animosity towards Cy Q is pointless. In fact, personal animosity towards anyone on Bullshido is generally pointless. Your blood pressure will thank you if you just learn to relax and take it for what it is, Internetz: Not Serous Biznis.

As for Silat, it shares many of the same techniques with the Dog Brothers material, but is generally not trained in the same alive manner, resulting in suckage. So while the TECHNIQUES might be workable, the APPLICATION is full of fail.

Train in an alive manner if you want an effective art. Groaning on about being too deadly to spar with is a copout.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 12:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    As for Silat, it shares many of the same techniques with the Dog Brothers material, but is generally not trained in the same alive manner, resulting in suckage. So while the TECHNIQUES might be workable, the APPLICATION is full of fail.
    I think that I am the authority on this one. (Strangely, this is topical to the derail!)

Techniques without drilling and sparring means you are LARPing. Pointing at the Dog Brothers and saying "they use this concept" means you don't train it correctly, and therefore can't really lay claim to it.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 12:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce View Post
    However, your tone appears to me to have worsened dramatically in recent weeks.
    I was thinking the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 1point2
    If my tone has changed, whatever. I think my opinions have changed a little, too. But that's been a constant process (especially in the TMA forums) over the last year.
    You don't need to become a BJJihad asshole to promote good training methods. It's only optional.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 12:51pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    correct me if I am wrong, but the dog brothers practice filipino escrima, not any Indonesian art that I am aware of.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 12:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    I was thinking the same. (re: change in tone)
    I will take this under serious consideration. I had not noticed it, and would argue that I had a great degree of vehemence before as well, but I am willing to entertain the thought that the gang of inquisitors changed my tone without me noticing. I'll try to scale it back. Thanks, guys.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 1:10pm

supporting member
     Style: running scared

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    correct me if I am wrong, but the dog brothers practice filipino escrima, not any Indonesian art that I am aware of.
    Their art blends elements from Silat into it from what I understand. This quote is from their website

Quote Originally Posted by DogBrothersSite
    We consider Silat to be a part of both unarmed and weaponry FMA, and, although not Filipino, we wish to acknowledge the influence of the Indonesian system of Bukti Negara Pentjak Silat of Pendekar Paul de Thouars.
    http://dogbrothers.com/pages/faq.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 1:15pm

Style: JJ, Karate, JKD, Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Richard Dawkins being a ridiculous trenchcoat mafia cappo doesn't mean you can believe in creation science. Which is what you're doing.

Like I said, everyone is tense in here. I was going to talk about (my opinion) of what makes a good silat school and I am not a lifelong practitioner of silat, nor do I run a silat class so again this is just my opinion. The class I trained at had several great attributes or methods of training such as emphasis on learning the basic forms and then drilling them over and over again in partner work. We did some of the jurus empty handed occasionally but by constant partner work you get a greater understanding of how the techniques work, how to use the proper angles and leverage....just like in BJJ you learn if you are not choking the guy right because he doesn't pass out or your triangle is not sunk in because you know the move but not the proper execution of it. It was the same when we learned the takedowns, chokes, etc. In the beginning stages of silat and most martial arts you do a lot of feeding and letting the person do the technique on you, that is normal. Later on we have different ways of building skill including throwing irregular punches, varying the speed and strength and trying the same techniques of combinations like jab/cross, etc. Many times I was unsuccessful at applying techniques because my seniors simply wouldn't give me the sweep or puter kepala unless I had the right angle. A few people in the class would play with techniques off to the side after class and use them with more force. I was lucky in my training also because our techniques were based off defending against modern martial arts attacks- boxing combos, guillotines, we had a triangle defense and several ground counters, guard passes, clinch work and reversals and so on. Im sure there are at least a couple silat schools who train their techniques against shoots and basic mma attacks.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/02/2009 1:18pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of grappling credentials does the instructor have for teaching the triangle defense, guard passing, etc...? Is he mixing in stuff from a BJJ/Judo background or is he making it up as he goes along or somewhere in between like DVD learning?

Also, do you do any medium to hard contact sparring? It didn't seem like any was mentioned in your description...