218358 Bullies, 5630 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 271 to 280 of 674
Page 28 of 68 FirstFirst ... 182425262728 2930313238 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Hesperus is offline
    Hesperus's Avatar

    it's all vanity

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Great Plains
    Posts
    3,045

    Posted On:
    4/07/2009 9:13pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Secrecy in this context is retarded. People don't premeditate murder and make it convenient for your secret moves, whatever they may be. Unless it's how to defend getting clocked in the back of the head with a pipe wrench, being shot in your sleep or something of that ilk, I don't think secrecy is going to dissuade murder.
  2. Hedgehogey is offline
    Hedgehogey's Avatar

    Tsun-Derrorist

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    5,330

    Posted On:
    4/07/2009 11:39pm

    supporting member
     Style: ^_^

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jim_Jude-

    You, personally, are not a third world person living in a state of occupation by an imperial power that thinks of you and your culture as childlike buffoons at best and barbarians to be culled at worst. You are not indonesian. Indonesia itself is probably nothing like your portrayal of it. It is a modern country with godamn buses and internet cafes. The place you think you're getting your training from? It doesn't exist.
    You think the third world is Ravnica: a place where secretive guilds of assasins teach arcane methods of brutal killing and have bloody duels on the streets that end in thirty seconds with somebody with their throat torn out and eyeballs shredded. Unless you're training in the fucking Irian Jaya, chances are your knife waving hasn't been used on anyone since your teacher's teacher's teacher was alive.

    I was a month as a human rights observer in a Central American conflict zone. I hitchiked around Puerto Rico. I can tell you that the third world in your imagination is a ridiculous, exoticized abstraction.


    "The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

    RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

    THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

    It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children
  3. Jim_Jude is offline
    Jim_Jude's Avatar

    Shime Waza Test Dummy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555

    Posted On:
    4/07/2009 11:53pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Could you elaborate on this statement?
    Oh, it's just a Kuhnian thing, incommensurability of rival paradigms & **** like that. Ignore me, I'm tired.

    I suppose my biggest problem with that mindset is presumes that the key to martial arts training is "learning new moves." Just look at boxing gyms; how many boxing classes do you have to attend before running out of new punches to learn? Does this put boxing gyms out of business?
    Oh, of course not. However, there are only so many punches that they can make, limited as they are by the demands of the sport and the rule set.
    (Boxing gyms focus highly on conditioning too, keep that in mind, & they provide equipment and assistance that most fighters don't have access to elsewhere)
    Kinda like the whole "Gracie Combatives" thing, thirty-something techniques which are considered the "high-percentage" techniques out of all Gracie Juijitsu, if you master them you'll be just fine in damn near any ground fighting situation, & yet you still have to show proficiency in how many, close to 200 techniques to become a black belt instructor?
    Why? TO MAKE DAT MONEY!!!
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
  4. Jim_Jude is offline
    Jim_Jude's Avatar

    Shime Waza Test Dummy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555

    Posted On:
    4/08/2009 12:01am

    Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Jim_Jude-

    You, personally, are not a third world person living in a state of occupation by an imperial power that thinks of you and your culture as childlike buffoons at best and barbarians to be culled at worst. You are not indonesian. Indonesia itself is probably nothing like your portrayal of it. It is a modern country with godamn buses and internet cafes. The place you think you're getting your training from? It doesn't exist.
    You think the third world is Ravnica: a place where secretive guilds of assasins teach arcane methods of brutal killing and have bloody duels on the streets that end in thirty seconds with somebody with their throat torn out and eyeballs shredded. Unless you're training in the fucking Irian Jaya, chances are your knife waving hasn't been used on anyone since your teacher's teacher's teacher was alive.

    I was a month as a human rights observer in a Central American conflict zone. I hitchiked around Puerto Rico. I can tell you that the third world in your imagination is a ridiculous, exoticized abstraction.
    Dude. ****. Off.

    Conversation Over, Remember?
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
  5. DJR is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    291

    Posted On:
    4/08/2009 12:15am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Jim_Jude-

    You, personally, are not a third world person living in a state of occupation by an imperial power that thinks of you and your culture as childlike buffoons at best and barbarians to be culled at worst. You are not indonesian. Indonesia itself is probably nothing like your portrayal of it. It is a modern country with godamn buses and internet cafes. The place you think you're getting your training from? It doesn't exist.
    ...I can tell you that the third world in your imagination is a ridiculous, exoticized abstraction.
    Post-colonial theory FTW!!!!
  6. raylawley is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    237

    Posted On:
    4/08/2009 3:06am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    So now you're comparing ONE PARTICULAR STYLE OF JUJUTSU to EVERY SINGLE STYLE OF PENTJAK SILAT, literally hundreds of different styles???

    You sure are a real winner when it comes to logic.
    There are many different styles of BJJ as well. It varies wherever you go. Two gyms will not have the same focus, but are based on the same core art.

    Silat must logically be similar since it is also an art with a singular name. I don't see Brazilian Silat or Japanese Silat or Silat-do out there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    Oh, **** off with that. How different is it??? "Oooh, I do teh Twister & Rubber Guard more often than not, I'm more special than even regular BJJ folks"
    My point still stands.
    Unless you provide something other than anecdotal evidence to the effect that the difference in Silat schools is greater than this difference in BJJ (which is an understatement and yet another example of your failed caustic humour), your point does not stand at all. You have nothing at all to back up said point.

    Perhaps you should take a class in logical argument.

    [irony] Hint: it doesn't involve dismissing every point with horrible attempts at sarcasm. [/irony]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    Funny. I've disliked you for many pages. Time to **** off? I think so. Bye.
    Dislike away. I think you're a douchebag who's conjuring up the same bullshit arguments spouted by the douchebags this site was created to mock. So, to be concise, **** you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    These days, someone comes along, watches your rather detailed video, and then they go on the seminar circuit making money off of your hard work, just because you chose to divulge and not capitalize on your knowledge.
    Paranoia. This is bound to happen anyway.

    If anything this is MORE likely to happen if you shroud your art in bullshit secrecy because people don't have an example of the effective style with which to compare it.

    Perhaps the reason that Silat is so variable is because its high-level training is shrouded in this kind of secrecy, and nobody can tell the difference between the bullshit and the good stuff, thus giving the bullshit artists a rich breeding ground of ignorance.


    The secrecy bullshit is not justifiable under any circumstances. This isn't feudal Japan, and I consider any art which propagates this to be approaching a cult mentality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    "Here's everything I know.
    Now, who wants to sign up & pay a monthly fee to learn a bunch of free information?
    No one? Oh, where did I go wrong?<sniff>"
    This is fucking ridiculous. It hasn't happened with the myriad of other effective arts out there who have cut the bullshit secrecy; there are plenty of excellent places around which are doing very well.

    TheMightyMcClaw is right. An abundance of moves does not indicate a superior art. The body only works a relatively limited number of ways; the fact is, super-deadly-secret winning moves don't exist anymore. It's the guys who are the best at what they have that are the most effective.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    Oh, of course not. However, there are only so many punches that they can make, limited as they are by the demands of the sport and the rule set.
    That's irrelevant. Regardless of rules, even Silat is restricted by the number of ways in which the human body works. So they are limited in the number of techniques which are going to work a high percentage of the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    Dude. ****. Off.

    Conversation Over, Remember?
    What's this? Dismissing a line of argument, after having continued the debate yourself?

    [sarcaustic humour]
    Another excellent demonstration of your incredibly superior logical skills [/sarcaustic humour]

    Hey, I just created a new word. Sarcaustic....I like it.
  7. Hedgehogey is offline
    Hedgehogey's Avatar

    Tsun-Derrorist

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    5,330

    Posted On:
    4/08/2009 3:41am

    supporting member
     Style: ^_^

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJR View Post
    Post-colonial theory FTW!!!!

    Yeah, basically. There's at least another page worth of stuff I could go into regarding the 'otherizing' that people like JJ apply to third world brown skinned people and how subtly disrespectful it is.


    "The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

    RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

    THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

    It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children
  8. Jim_Jude is offline
    Jim_Jude's Avatar

    Shime Waza Test Dummy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555

    Posted On:
    4/08/2009 4:35am

    Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Yeah, basically. There's at least another page worth of stuff I could go into regarding the 'otherizing' that people like JJ apply to third world brown skinned people and how subtly disrespectful it is.
    What in the rat **** are you talking about???







    "Je est un autre"
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
  9. Jim_Jude is offline
    Jim_Jude's Avatar

    Shime Waza Test Dummy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555

    Posted On:
    4/08/2009 4:37am

    Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by raylawley View Post
    There are many different styles of BJJ as well. It varies wherever you go. Two gyms will not have the same focus, but are based on the same core art.

    Silat must logically be similar since it is also an art with a singular name. I don't see Brazilian Silat or Japanese Silat or Silat-do out there.
    Really? How so? You don't know jack **** about Silat, so you can't make that claim now can you? You are so woefully ignorant. Do you know the operative differences between Serak, Harimau, and Tjimande? Hmmm...


    Unless you provide something other than anecdotal evidence to the effect that the difference in Silat schools is greater than this difference in BJJ (which is an understatement and yet another example of your failed caustic humour), your point does not stand at all. You have nothing at all to back up said point.
    Yeah, nothing but my own experience, documented experience of others, and the published literature on the subject. Yeah, that's it. God, what in the world did we do before YouTube. I doubt that anything ever existed before YouTube provided us with TEH pR00f....

    Perhaps you should take a class in logical argument.
    That's funny. I'll make sure to share that sentiment with the rest of the philosophy majors that I see every day....


    If anything this is MORE likely to happen if you shroud your art in bullshit secrecy because people don't have an example of the effective style with which to compare it.
    Yes, that's entirely possible.


    Not True, however.


    The secrecy bullshit is not justifiable under any circumstances. This isn't feudal Japan, and I consider any art which propagates this to be approaching a cult mentality.
    That's wonderful, and of course unless you are prepared to present this in some kind of logical format, it's just your fucking opinion which lacks any truth value. Get it? & ultimately, no one gives a **** about your fucking opinion.


    TheMightyMcClaw is right. An abundance of moves does not indicate a superior art. The body only works a relatively limited number of ways; the fact is, super-deadly-secret winning moves don't exist anymore. It's the guys who are the best at what they have that are the most effective.
    And I disputed this point WHERE? Who was talking about the Red Herring? Son, you've been throwing them around like some kind of crazed fish monger.


    What's this? Dismissing a line of argument, after having continued the debate yourself?

    [sarcaustic humour]
    Another excellent demonstration of your incredibly superior logical skills [/sarcaustic humour]

    Hey, I just created a new word. Sarcaustic....I like it.
    Conversation Over Yet? Huh, asshole? You couldn't argue your way out of a wet paper bag anyway. Just a typical Internet a-hole, getting in the last word in an argument you're failing miserably at.
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 4/08/2009 4:57am at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
  10. Chili Pepper is online now
    Chili Pepper's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,097

    Posted On:
    4/08/2009 8:54am


     Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    "Je est un autre"
    "Je suis," not "je est" unless you wanted to say "I is."*



    * and for that matter, just what are you another of?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.