Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 8:01am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll have to agree with Jim on this. I've trained with Silat guys. The good ones are few and far between. Two of the ones I trained with scared the crap out of me. Even though you couldn't practice the eye and stomp techniques safely they beat the crap out of you anyway. Even Royce Gracie said one of the toughest fighters he ever face was a silat guy.

Then again I've met some serious larpers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 8:25am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think fight quest did an episode with silat. I'm not gonna go look it up right now, but they're fights were for the most part pretty cool (and legitimate).

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 10:06am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was gonna make a write up about silat not sucking, but it didn't satisfy the criteria you were looking for so I stopped.
    Quote Originally Posted by han090 View Post
    I think fight quest did an episode with silat. I'm not gonna go look it up right now, but they're fights were for the most part pretty cool (and legitimate).
    looked like TKD with takedowns.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 10:45am

Style: MT noob, BJJ even noober

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since we have no videos in this thread so far I will throw in the YouTube channel of a local Silat teacher*. I will leave others to comment whether this is "good" Silat or not, as I have nowhere near enough experience in FMAs to tell:

http://www.youtube.com/user/silatyogi

He seems to focus a lot on non-blade techniques, at least in the videos and since I don't train with him I can't say how much time is dedicated to blade work.

Here are two videos I do have a questions on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYh9N...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9LjJ...e=channel_page

They both seem to demonstrate the same sort of "trap the arm" as it comes in techniques. Is this the common method of stopping the attack in Silat? I'd assume that translating it to bladework you'd want to stop the knife-hand, but with no knife it seemed like it's not the highest percentage way to stop a punch (compared with a boxing block or slip and counterattack, I suppose).

I have to admit that the idea of FMAs does appeal to me, but the sense that I'm getting from this thread is that there is a huge quality control issue and range of skill levels between instructors and practitioners... at least in the US. Does that sound fair?

* He's also very much into energy healing, reiki, and other such things, but I'm posting his videos for the Silat aspects and not the other stuff.

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 11:05am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give it time. The DB are working on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFPO1zdZb08

Also, I'm not exactly sure what "Filipino Boxing" is, but it looks pretty solid (no sparring in this one, but the basics look applicable enough):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh-eKTIf34E
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    Helio was submitted by Kimura

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 11:51am

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Silat is Indonesian, not Filipino.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the clarification, I was wondering about that.

Also, isn't silat quite a broad collection of arts, kind of like just saying "Convince me that kung-fu doesn't suck completely."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 12:08pm

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, I was wondering about that.

Also, isn't silat quite a broad collection of arts, kind of like just saying "Convince me that kung-fu doesn't suck completely."
    No problem. Doing my best to shine the light of truth and justice upon the world. It's a pretty common misconception due the relative proximity of the two countries and the focus on the weapons. Plus, you see a lot of mixing of silat and FMAs.

I don't know a whole lot about silat, but I do know that there are multiple styles/schools/systems/whatever.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did a style of silat for 4 or 5 years give or take.

It's mostly bullshit. There was one guy in the system that scared the **** out of me when I fought him. Two actually. Both of them would go full contact when they fought you if you pressured them at all.

You didn't want anecdotes so fine. **** it. But I said the above to say this: it looked like good fighting the way everything else looks like good fighting. They covered or evaded when you tried to hit them and then punched you in the face or knocked you on your ass. There wasn't any mandancing.

These two guys were the product of the style back when everybody beat the **** out each other. Then the people in charge decided to make it all marketable. This was about when I hit the scene so I never got o experience the good stuff. Everything after that was a bunch of really goofy ****.

Silat has great potential. The problem is that in nearly every case you have severely flawed training methods. Nobody is training live. They think it's live training, but it really isn't.

Jim and I have gone back and forth on this subject ad naseaum. I won't bore him or you anymore with it. We pretty much agree.

If you find a good teacher they'll give you some great stuff. And they won't shy away from beating your ass if you ask them to fight. That ain't the hard part, the hard part is finding them. I don't even know where to look.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 4:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    So, I have a strong prejudice against Silat.
    Most of it comes from a Silat school which I trained at for a month several years ago, but the trauma of which still haunts me to this day; outlandish prices, forms/djurus/otherwise mandancing that wasted entire classes but still didn't look as cool as wushu, lengthy exposes on how Silat is way better than BJJ/kung fu/karate, and a mystery cult atmosphere steeped in goofy mysticism which gave me the very heebiest of jeebies.
    I did silat for about a year and a half... My experience wasn't good, in fact it was one of the worst experiences of my life but I learned alot from it. I joined a full on cult and a fellow cult member who left around the same time as I did was warned by a friend of his ex about it's cultish vibes.

The problem I found is that alot of practitioners don't seperate Silat from their religion (whatever it is) and for that reason it's really cultish... but on the plus side my disgust with Silat and my experience with an kung fu/chi kung school was how I found bullshido and got introduced to 'aliveness' and the genius that is Matt Thornton:love4:.

But saying that I still now have a brilliant relationship with a Silat teacher who himself is disgusted with the BS in Silat. I don't practice it anymore but I found a great spiritual advisor who was and is very kind to me and spent a month helping to 'deprogram' me from the brainwashing I had undergone. :new_Eyecr

Let's just say no-touch demonstrations were something I used to take part in....

The Djurus made me stronger but in terms of fighting ability... erm...

I did meet a teacher in his 60's at one time who advised fighting like a Muay Thai practitioner and seemed to use the Silat for power development, that and one armed push ups on the knuckles (which having felt a tap off the man, and talking to a 6'5 beefcake who he floored with a punch thrown from inches away, appears that it worked).

I had a strange experience with the Djurus (but perhaps it isn't if some FMA practitioner can clarify) I sparred in full gear with some FMA guys and though the gear I managed to wack him hard enough that it left a bruise on him in the shape of the stick for over a week as he showed everyone in class (I did a few JKD/Kali classes). But maybe that kind of thing happens from time to time and wasn't a result of the Djurus?

Most of the stories of fighting prowlness of Silat practitoners seems to be a bit like the CMA's. I've personally crossed hands with 2 incredibly powerful CMA practitioners but unfortunately they seem to be 1 in a million, the Silat guys who I saw actually fight and lightly sparred against were strong (probably due to the twisting Djurus practices we did alot of) but seemed to just be displaying poor MMA. Silat seems very heavy on 'internal' power development and mysticism for that reason the teachers and practitioners are very cultish and 'closed door'.

Silat and CMA seem to be in the same status (I've had experience in CMA)

Here is a vid that is similar to the stuff that I practiced...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDiI-...eature=related
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12 34561252 ... LastLast