Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/02/2009 4:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by escrimador6 View Post
    I'm in full agreement with you. Always was.
    Good to go, then. :qgreenjum
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/02/2009 8:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2009 10:28pm

Style: Judo noob, heavy bag

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I've enjoyed the Silat that I've seen and tried...my only complaint would be its relevence in the US as a legitimate form of self defense.

If I punch someone or choke them out in a fight, I think I can convine a jury that I used a reasonable amount of force.

I'm not sure the same could be said for a Silat player who responds to a fight by making several life-ending slashes towards the attacher. Now I'm exaggerating a bit here, but you get my point.

I have met Uncle (Bill deThours) and trained with him and he is an impressive guy. It is great to see a guy his age bust out a monkey form. But I've met a bunch of Silat players who are bad ass with a knife...but who have never been in a real fight or in a real sparring situation in thier lives. Instructors even.

I'm not sure what my point is? Generally speaking there is no better martial art to learn if you are intersted in learning how to use a knife. However...know that unless you happen to find yourself in a 3rd world country defending yourself with a knife isn't going to be looked too kindly on by the law. Furthermore, in many parts of the US, the knife isn't going to be very much help against the good old gun...which has really been the most popular weapon used by criminals since about the 1800's.
    I never thought about it like that before... hmm, now I have to go to a 3rd world country to try out my Silat =/

Posted On:
    4/02/2009 11:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you're trying to prove that Silat is about radically "special" (short-bus special in at least some cases...c'mon...) striking and other techniques performed at a level of aliveness that's even lower than Wing Chun. At least in bad Kung Fu, they'll move around and stuff. This is slow-motion garbage.

Welcome to Bullshido. Maybe you'd like some Matt Thornton, or perhaps, to reread my post about how to educate us about Silat in a way that doesn't give us the impression that it's worthless?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 12:41am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    So you're trying to prove that Silat is about radically "special" (short-bus special in at least some cases...c'mon...) striking and other techniques performed at a level of aliveness that's even lower than Wing Chun. At least in bad Kung Fu, they'll move around and stuff. This is slow-motion garbage.

Welcome to Bullshido. Maybe you'd like some Matt Thornton, or perhaps, to reread my post about how to educate us about Silat in a way that doesn't give us the impression that it's worthless?
    Although they certainly don't satisfy what was asked for by the OP, going slow and showing dead patterns doesn't automatically make the videos garbage.

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 12:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    s

lord, that ^ was awesome!
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 1:02am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge View Post
    s

lord, that ^ was awesome!
    yes, I like that also.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 1:04am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post

Wow. Completely lost on you. What a total douchbag.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 1:09am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Although they certainly don't satisfy what was asked for by the OP, going slow and showing dead patterns doesn't automatically make the videos garbage.
    No, but some of the creative reinterpretations of martial arts in the third video speak more loudly on the subject.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/03/2009 1:14am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    No, but some of the creative reinterpretations of martial arts in the third video speak more loudly on the subject.
    Would it be even remotely possible for you to elucidate? Thanks :love4: