Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 10:04am

Style: MT noob, BJJ even noober

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge View Post
    Sounds like the only way to resolve this is a Bartitsu vs Silat fight. Cane sword vs long wiggly knife.
    video this plzkthx

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 3:22pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. What the heck are you talking about?

To clarify, I know what a penny dreadful is. I'm not getting the rest of the reference though.
    You know that part where the brave white explorer guy is captured by the evil, pointy toothed natives? And they're dancing around him with their spears and little knives and putting him in a giant cast iron pot*?

Regular people think "Wow. That's pretty racist and gross."

Silat people think "I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"

*Where do those pots come from, anyway? How do you cast that much iron in the middle of the jungle?

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Sociocidal sociocider

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 3:30pm

Style: Currently a SAMBO newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [Extremely ignorant] I thought the knife and stick stuff dogbrothers do was mostly based on the South East Asian stuff? How is it different?[/extremely ignorant]
    Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil. - Machiavelli

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 4:02pm

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian G.R. View Post
    [Extremely ignorant] I thought the knife and stick stuff dogbrothers do was mostly based on the South East Asian stuff? How is it different?[/extremely ignorant]
    The Dog Brothers have based their weapons stuff mainly off of Filipino Martial Arts.

http://www.dogbrothers.com/pages/instructors_ourteachers.html

Plus, they do heavy pressure testing through full-contact sparring, which is where the biggest difference would be.

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 4:38pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    105 posts later and still no evidence of Silat NOT sucking. Awsome.

OP I think you have your answer.
    Website Administrator Tom Kagan just loves email, instant messages, private messages, text messages, tweets, status updates, and every kind of personal contact. You can reah him at his personal email account at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN] or even on his cell phone number at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN].

Sociocidal sociocider

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 4:44pm

Style: Currently a SAMBO newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by escrimador6 View Post
    The Dog Brothers have based their weapons stuff mainly off of Filipino Martial Arts.

http://www.dogbrothers.com/pages/instructors_ourteachers.html

Plus, they do heavy pressure testing through full-contact sparring, which is where the biggest difference would be.
    I see, I was under the impression it was S.E. Asia in general and not just the Philipines.
    Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil. - Machiavelli

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 4:55pm

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian G.R. View Post
    I see, I was under the impression it was S.E. Asia in general and not just the Philipines.
    Sorry, my first post was a bit unclear. There is Silat within the Dog Brothers system, as well as Krabi Krabong. However, since the bulk of their system is based on FMAs, I'm guessing that they don't really meet the criteria for proving that silat does or doesn't suck within the confines of this thread.

Quote from their site:
    "The core of our curriculum is FILIPINO MARTIAL ARTS (FMA). The three principle systems upon which we draw are Inosanto Blend (Guro Dan Inosanto), Pekiti Tirsia (Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje), and Lameco (the late Punong Guro Edgar Sulite), though of course there are many others too. We consider Silat to be a part of both unarmed and weaponry FMA, and, although not Filipino, we wish to acknowledge the influence of the Indonesian system of Bukti Negara Pentjak Silat of Pendekar Paul de Thouars."
    Last edited by escrimador6; 4/01/2009 5:29pm at .

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 5:40pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    You know that part where the brave white explorer guy is captured by the evil, pointy toothed natives? And they're dancing around him with their spears and little knives and putting him in a giant cast iron pot*?

Regular people think "Wow. That's pretty racist and gross."

Silat people think "I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"

*Where do those pots come from, anyway? How do you cast that much iron in the middle of the jungle?
    Oh, I was hoping you were talking about something specific. I've got a real soft spot in my heart for the penny dreadfuls and pulp fiction in general.

But I get what you mean.

But that's a large portion of American's fascination with the culture of asian martial arts instead of its reality. You could just as easily have written tea ceremony instead of cannibalism.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 7:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    A grown man practicing a martial art that comes from 19th century penny dreadfuls condescends to me?

This isn't some 4channer asking you to show your tits, Little Miss Gangstergoth. This is us asking you to show some proof somewhere, anywhere that what you are doing is any more than an elaborate folk dance in uncomfortable costumes. If you care that much wether you're wasting your time, then stop wasting it on this site, because here, in the immortal words of Sirt Kurtis S. Blow, esq., these are the breaks.
    Don't roll in, poppin' off about **** you obviously don't understand (due to your ignorance of pencak silat or your obvious lack of reading comprehension, I don't care), and expect the fucking red carpet. I'm not going to waste my time providing "proof" to you, or anyone else.

However, if you are truly interested in Silat, why don't you take your happy ass out and go have your own experience, huh?

I'm not the only person on this thread that has stated that there are various styles of Silat available, some are bullshit gymnastic dancing, and some are really good. There are HUNDREDS of styles of Silat, be they Sumantran, Javanese, Indonesian, Malay, Filipino, or Dutch Indo (& there are even more). They're all significantly different in appearance and application.THIS IS REALITY.

You can go out and seek your own experience, or not, & choose to believe what you like.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 7:45pm

Style: We'll see

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    Don't roll in, poppin' off about **** you obviously don't understand (due to your ignorance of pencak silat or your obvious lack of reading comprehension, I don't care), and expect the fucking red carpet. I'm not going to waste my time providing "proof" to you, or anyone else.

However, if you are truly interested in Silat, why don't you take your happy ass out and go have your own experience, huh?

I'm not the only person on this thread that has stated that there are various styles of Silat available, some are bullshit gymnastic dancing, and some are really good. There are HUNDREDS of styles of Silat, be they Sumantran, Javanese, Indonesian, Malay, Filipino, or Dutch Indo (& there are even more). They're all significantly different in appearance and application.THIS IS REALITY.

You can go out and seek your own experience, or not, & choose to believe what you like.
    So...no video, then?
Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314152161 ... LastLast