Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 5:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Pekiti

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sayoc and Atienza Practitioners - What's with the knife Rigs?

I've been looking at the different kali schools in the NY area, and came across some Atienza videos with their machete and knife holder rigs. I've gone to two Sayoc kali seminars in the past and remember they used those knife rigs as well. Granted it's been 8 years since I've done anything, I guess the question is hitting me now. But those expensive knife rig vests just seem a bit ridiculous. I used to carry a spyderco folder on me, but that was it. I never thought of strapping a machete to my back before putting on my overcoat. Is there a genuine reason for using them? It just reminds me of the documentary Darkon.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/29/2009 5:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Pekiti

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah crap, I posted this in the wrong forum. Could a moderator move this to the Kali forum? Thanks in advance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 9:39am

Style: Noob-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The purpose of the Sayoc rig isn't so you can learn how to carry a billion sharp things to the mall next weekend. The rig is used to teach you the different places your opponent can carry a knife. Where the knife gets drawn from from can greatly affect the angle at which it comes at you, leading to a neccessity to train against as many draw angles as possible in the event you get attacked. Most Sayoc practitioners AFAIK carry only one knife on the street, and sometimes a ballpoint pen or pencil as well, in the event the course of their day makes lives blades prohibitive: courtrooms, police stations, schools, etc.

The machete thing? Um, maybe an Atienza kid can tell you, I got nothin' there.

As far as the "uber-expensive" comment goes...yeah the official ones are pretty high up there in cost. I've found that you can make your own however, with old 782 gear from a military surplus shop at a fraction of the price.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/08/2009 4:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My rig was $20. Not expensive in the slightest.

The rig simulates places on the body where knives can be carried. Having multiple places I can put a knife lets me train with putting the knives in different positions on my own body, which gives me more options for carry.

IRL, I usually don't carry more than one knife at a time, and where on my body that knife is depends on what I'm wearing and where I'm going.

Oh, and don't buy your knives from Sayoc. There are much cheaper training blades available on other websites. No instructor will care where the knives come from.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2009 7:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Self-defense

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by matrixdutch View Post
    I never thought of strapping a machete to my back before putting on my overcoat. Is there a genuine reason for using them? It just reminds me of the documentary Darkon.
    The same guys who do this are the idiots who wear trench coats and think they look tough. The weekend warrior types. They think a machete will make them some kind of "Blade" character until they stare down a 1911.

Will not work for SD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2009 8:06am

Style: Southern Kung Fu, BJJ, AK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HHH View Post
    My rig was $20. Not expensive in the slightest.

The rig simulates places on the body where knives can be carried. Having multiple places I can put a knife lets me train with putting the knives in different positions on my own body, which gives me more options for carry.

IRL, I usually don't carry more than one knife at a time, and where on my body that knife is depends on what I'm wearing and where I'm going.

Oh, and don't buy your knives from Sayoc. There are much cheaper training blades available on other websites. No instructor will care where the knives come from.

$20 where did you purchase your rig?