Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 10:17am

Style: BJJ, CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the two I'm thinking of were both SEALs and stayed that way. They had the opportunity to go through Ranger school and the Q course.

This actually came up in conversation a couple years ago with a SEAL I know who was working in the BUPERS Special Warfare office at the Pentagon. I figure if anyone would know, it'd be him.

I've heard of guys going from one to the other. I know of SEALs who went into SF and Rangers who became SEALs, but all three is really something of an accomplishment and people tend to remember.

You should check, I'd be interested in the answer.

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 12:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a side note, are all SEAL officers still required to complete Ranger School?

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 12:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And what of that " Combined Reconnesense Team" from that crap GI JANE ?
    Does that Unit exsist?

Military Veteran

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 12:31pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     The POW Network Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by The_Dude73
    This actually came up in conversation a couple years ago with a SEAL I know who was working in the BUPERS Special Warfare office at the Pentagon. I figure if anyone would know, it'd be him.
    Hey... send me a quick email via my regular address

shadek@tri-lakes.net

I'll bet the guy you talked to at the Pentagon is a good friend of mine. I'd REALLY like to compare notes with you on this matter... I DON'T think ANYONE has served in all three branches of the service, with full training and duty assignments in all four 'elite' units; Navy SEALs, Army Rangers, Army SF, and USMC Force Recon.

While some SEALs go to the Ranger school and take the course, they are not tasked as Rangers. Some SEALs take partial Army SF training, but they aren't authorized to call themselves SF and are not tasked as SF. Some SEALs participate in some of the USMC Force Recon training... but they aren't qualified to call themselves Recon, and are NOT tasked as such. And members of all those other units DO come to the SEAL Teams for joint training... but none of THEM is permitted/authorized to say he is "SEAL qualified".

When I was in BUD/S (1970) one of my classmates was the oldest man to go through that training (up to that time). He was 32 years old. The maximum student age cutoff was established a couple of years later as being 28, with waivers under very limited circumstances for folks up to 30 (absolute max). And no one... NO ONE goes through BUD/S except US Navy SAILORS and selected foreign military members who are part of an exchange program. No Army SF, Army Rangers, USMC Recon, or AF PJs get to attend BUD/S. NONE!

They CAN and DO attend limited joint training programs held by various SEAL Teams, but they are limited in duration and subject matter.
    Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)
    USN 1970-1978
    SEAL Team ONE
    Inshore Undersea Warfare Group ONE
    -UDT-SEAL Association - Member
    -POW Network Board of Directors
    -Naval Special Warfare Archives - SOF Analyst/Contributing Journalist
    -Disabled American Veterans - Life Member
    -FORMER Special Investigator - SEAL Authentication Team
    -CyberSEALs.org - Webmaster
    -Author - NO GUTS, NO GLORY - Unmasking Navy SEAL Imposters

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 12:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote:
    "When I was in BUD/S (1970) one of my classmates was the oldest man to go through that training (up to that time). He was 32 years old. The maximum student age cutoff was established a couple of years later as being 28, with waivers under very limited circumstances for folks up to 30 (absolute max). And no one... NO ONE goes through BUD/S except US Navy SAILORS and selected foreign military members who are part of an exchange program. No Army SF, Army Rangers, USMC Recon, or AF PJs get to attend BUD/S. NONE!"

Yeah, I was on the list back in '97 to try the exchange program coming in from the Canadian army/airborne/sniper program, but I got hosed and ended up in Bosnia ( being 1 of only 15 airborne snipers at the time).
    I would have LOVED to been able to attend SEAL training, from what I hear, it only compares to the SAS.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 12:54pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have a question, how does delta fit into the special operations section of the military? do they pick up recruits from the various special forces groups? and is there contact at all between delta and the rest of the military?

or is that a group that people just don't talk about?
  7. joen00b

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 12:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my friends was working towards becoming Air Force Para-Rescue. He washed out during the SEAL training portion of his training. It wa my understanding, he would train different programs with each of the other 3 branches special forces to get niche training in their expertises in order to do their job.

Of all things, he freaked out on the pool during SEAL training, and this guy was a Lifeguard for 5 years before going into this training and had spent more time in the water during those 5 years than I ever have in my entire life. For someone who was such a great swimmer and so comfortable in the water, that training had to have been some serious **** (regardless if it was not the real training) for him to wash out of the program in the water.

I believe he had done Marine Recon training for 3 months before getting to the SEAL training portion, but I'm not entirely sure. To make matters worse for my friend, after he washed out, he was stuck on a desk job, had seizure in his sleep and was let go from the military totally.

He's now a Criminal Investigator in the Marshall Islands.

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 1:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "D-boys" don't exist!

Well, I believe they recruit heavily from Rangers and SF .. but it is a requirement. What little I know about them is centered around their shooting prowess. The have a reputation as incrdible instict shooters. These are the premier hostage rescue/anti-terrorism guys (although I believe ST6 also has a similar role).

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 1:01pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by punchingdummy
    .. but it is a requirement.
    Meant to say ISN'T a requirement.

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 1:30pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do believe that the "delta force" is part of the Army Special forces ( detachment -D I think is the title) and under the SOCOM umbrella.
    And most if not all their selection would be from the army Special Forces.
    As for SEAL Team 6, I think they were desbanded a few years ago, I might be mistaken.
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast