Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 1:46am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The further you get away from someone, the easier it is to kill. For example, dropping a bomb from a plane entails very little to no stress."

Bad example....

But the rest of your post is fairly accurate.
    A retired (I think a general) guy from the States (correct me if I'm wrong) did a study to find out how many of the soldiers actually fired their rifles at a another human. This was a vet of the WW1. With these findings they altered the way they trained (analogy anywhere?) to be more effected. They more closely simulated firing at a human......

Crap I forgot a lot but over the years, up from WW1 more soldiers ACTUALLY fired their rifles as the years progressed.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 1:55am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol i'm a military person in the special forces.... 35th All-Criminal Regiment, uh, special forces light uh...delta paratroopers hostage takeover.. uhhhhh.... lol.. I agree with ya milwaukee cop... I am proud as hell that I serve my flag and I'm just a weenie pogue... I do WANT to go Delta Forces, but that is for them to select and me to hope and apply for....to anyone who lies about that... we all know they're just fucking pansies, anyways.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 2:18am

Style: Whatever Works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by PizDoff
    "The further you get away from someone, the easier it is to kill. For example, dropping a bomb from a plane entails very little to no stress."

Bad example....

But the rest of your post is fairly accurate.
    A retired (I think a general) guy from the States (correct me if I'm wrong) did a study to find out how many of the soldiers actually fired their rifles at a another human. This was a vet of the WW1. With these findings they altered the way they trained (analogy anywhere?) to be more effected. They more closely simulated firing at a human......

Crap I forgot a lot but over the years, up from WW1 more soldiers ACTUALLY fired their rifles as the years progressed.
    Well, I was simply paraphrasing a one hour special I saw on military H2H on Discovery several years ago, therefore some of my detail may be lost. OTOH, I do not see why the example they gave of pressing a button to drop a bomb from a plane is a bad example. You're killing people but you're not close enough to see their reactions, thus the effect is not personalized in any way. As you get closer, it gets more personal. In my book the analogy was perfect.

Also, I'm fairly confident that they used the Korean War as an example. However, in actuality as you've suggested, it makes more sense that they should've been referring to WWI. Especially considering that Fairbarn and Applegate stripped down their Ju Jitsu training to simple killing strikes for WWII soldiers.

Hopefully, Steve can give us some insight on the actual numbers if hes aware of these matters at all. Also, bear in mind that I'm not trying to get into the effectiveness of the H2H techniques. That'll come some other time. I'm simply discussing the psychological aspect of such training.

Sincerely,

Ken

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 7:29am

Style: BJJ, CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another excellent book regarding exposing military frauds in general is the book "Stolen Valor," by BG Burkitt. It deals mostly with Viet Nam phonies, and how much of the gross misunderstandings of Viet Nam and Viet Nam veterans comes from stories told by frauds.

I can't recommend it enough. It will change the way you think of Viet Nam veterans, for the better!

Incidentally, the Frank Dux case is one of the many who are profiled in it. It also lists explicit instructions on how to go about finding the facts about someone's military record through the Freedom of Information Act, in case they are claiming to be something other than a SEAL and you don't have the excellent BUD/S database as a resource to fall back on.

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 7:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My sole experiences with SEALS came from meeting a few from SEAL TEAM TWO in '96.
    The seemed to be he consumate professionals at work and some serious trouble makers at play :)

Out of sheer couriosity, I am courious on Steve's view on the "infamous" Richard Marcinko.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 8:07am

Style: BJJ, CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've actually met Marcinko a couple of times. Hell, I even used him as a source on a paper I wrote.

Really nice guy in person, but from the Team Guys I've talked to, opinions of him vary widely.

Military Veteran

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 9:07am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     The POW Network Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WOW! Great questions and good discussion... I'm impressed. I've spent time on other discussion boards and the comments are generally split between video gamers who think they are qualified to be SEALs because of their high game scores and drooling groupies who want to know what it's like to kill someone.

First of all, I am NOT conversant with any statistics regarding the number of armed combatants who take part in a fight versus those who 'duck and cover' because they don't want to kill another human being. I can say that I've talked with a number of regular Army guys who went to Vietnam, and the general consensus seems to be that once you hear the bullets whizzing past your head and see your buddies taking hits, most guys get flaming mad and start firing like crazy. One of the standard responses is to spray the hostiles as fast as possible.

The original M-16 had a standard 3-position switch - SAFE, SINGLE, AUTO. During Vietnam there was a tendency for combatants to go directly to Full AUTO and empty a magazine in a couple of seconds... wasting TONS of ammo. This was so prevalent that the weapon was redesigned, and all 'standard issue' M-16s (oops... not M-16... I think they call them M4 now but I'm not sure) now have a limiter, and full automatic actually fires the weapons in 3-round bursts. Special Operations Forces such as the SEALs and the Army SF have 'special' weapons that do NOT have the 3-round burst limiter... full automatic is FULL AUTO. They've been trained to use their weapons correctly, and RARELY use the setting, but it is available if they need it.

Next question - what's wrong with making false claims in order to pick up women in a bar (I think I've got that one right)???

Basic answer - Anyone who undertakes to impersonate a US Navy SEAL, an ARMY SF, a USMC Recon Marine, or an AF PJ, an Army paratrooper, or any other skill or military designation, for whatever purpose or reason, is perpetrating a shameful and disgraceful insult to every man and women who ever served honorably in any branch of Americas military services.

SEAL Answer - The Naval Special Warfare community is a small and tightly knit one. Since it began back in the early days of WWII, up through the present day, there have been only slightly more than 10,000 men involved... and that includes the roughly 2,000 currently serving on active duty. In the same span of time there have been MILLIONS of men who served in the Navy, and MILLIONS more in the other branches of service.

We lost some 88 Teammates during WWII, we lost 2 Teammates during the Korean War, we lost 49 Teammates in Vietnam, we lost 4 Teammates in Grenada, we lost 4 Teammates in Panama, we didn't lose any Teammates in Desert Shield/Storm, we haven't lost any Teammates in Iraq, and we've lost 4 men (so far) in Afghanistan. I hope to God that we don't lose anymore... but with what the SEALs do, the odds are high that there will be more. There have been others who fell during training, or in actions which did not make the front pages of the newspapers. We know their names, and we know their families, we set up college funds for their kids, we take care of our own.

Those who make false claims of being a SEAL, whether it's for the purpose of getting laid, getting a better job, trying to impress their buddies, or whatever their twisted reason, are effectively spitting on the graves of our fallen Teammates... men who truly EARNED the right to the title "SEAL" and who then gave their lives in service to our nation.

The simple statistics of how many get to the Teams out of all those who apply is impressive. Statistically, out of every 100+ who attempt the initial physical screening test, only TWO will be accepted. Those two will muster at the BUD/S training unit to be a part of a class of 100-150 men. Most classes are actually starting with about 140 men. Training is SIX MONTHS LONG, and at the other end the number of graduates is generally less than 30 men! There have been MANY classes that had fewer than 20 graduates, and there was even one class that was cancelled because there weren't enough men left to actively participate in training (the handful of remaining students were rolled back to become members of the NEXT class).

When you calculate in the number of folks who talk about applying but never get around to doing it, then statistically every man who ultimately gets to the SEAL Teams is actually/literally a MAN AMONG THOUSANDS.

Any man who hasn't gone through that meat grinder of a selection process, and who casually turns to a woman on a bar stool saying "Did I mention that I was a Navy SEAL" (or some other lame version of the same statement) is horribly denigrating and cheapening the process that MUST be experienced to legitimately make such a claim. It is a HUGE insult, not only to those who DID make it to the Teams, but to the even bigger number of men who got to the training unit through personal sacrifice and dedication, but who simply could not finish, for whatever reason.

SEALs don't take kindly to such insults, and men making false claims of being a SEAL in a place (bar or otherwise) where REAL SEALs might learn of it are definitely gambling with their physical well being! False SEAL claims aren't actually against the law (YET!)... but I do NOT recommend it!

Next question - What about Richard Marcinko?
    Basic answer - Richard Marcinko is a very REAL SEAL. He served as the Commanding Officer of SEAL Team TWO. He was the right man at the right place at the right time (Pentagon), and was primarily responsible for forming SEAL Team SIX. He served as SEAL Team SIX's first Commanding Officer. He later left the SEALs under circumstances that are described in varying terms by those personally familiar with them. Marcinko wrote a series of books (ROGUE WARRIOR) with John Weisman, and it is hugely popular. He tells of the 'exciting' moments, and quickly passes over the tedious ones, as does every good author... and it has garnered him a huge following. In fact, SEAL Team SIX is just about the only SEAL unit that the general population knows anything about... all because of the ROGUE WARRIOR books.

SEAL Team SIX was officially commissioned on 15 August 1980. It was DECOMMISSIONED and officially ceased to exist about 1989 (the precise date is purposely vague... at the Navy's request). It has not existed for about 13 years.

Richard Marcinko tours regularly in promotion of his books, and regularly attends the East Coast SEAL Team reunions (he was trained on the East Coast and both ST2 and ST6 are/were home based there).

As with any large family, some folks get along with each other, and some folks don't. Some men hold Marcinko in very high esteem, while others don't. But... the man is still a SEAL, and nothing can change that fact. I don't know the man personally, and will not make comments pro or con regarding the controversies. But I HIGHLY RESPECT him for what he created, and what he accomplished. He's my Teammate!

So... hope that helps folks understand. Enough yack for now. Send more questions.
    Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)
    USN 1970-1978
    SEAL Team ONE
    Inshore Undersea Warfare Group ONE
    -UDT-SEAL Association - Member
    -POW Network Board of Directors
    -Naval Special Warfare Archives - SOF Analyst/Contributing Journalist
    -Disabled American Veterans - Life Member
    -FORMER Special Investigator - SEAL Authentication Team
    -CyberSEALs.org - Webmaster
    -Author - NO GUTS, NO GLORY - Unmasking Navy SEAL Imposters

Stand and Deliver, Bitch

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 9:25am

supporting member
     Style: Whatever Works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok..I've wondered about this since basic....

Is it possible.....

to pick up chicks in a tank??
    ~Whatever Happens, Happens.~

~From this moment on, I shall be known as "He Who Smokes Bitches"~

Military Veteran

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 9:36am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     The POW Network Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It most definitely IS possible to pick up chicks in a tank... and they will no doubt be impressed by such... but I recommend something a little more sporty, like a Mazurati. Besides, it gets better gas mileage!
    Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)
    USN 1970-1978
    SEAL Team ONE
    Inshore Undersea Warfare Group ONE
    -UDT-SEAL Association - Member
    -POW Network Board of Directors
    -Naval Special Warfare Archives - SOF Analyst/Contributing Journalist
    -Disabled American Veterans - Life Member
    -FORMER Special Investigator - SEAL Authentication Team
    -CyberSEALs.org - Webmaster
    -Author - NO GUTS, NO GLORY - Unmasking Navy SEAL Imposters
  10. joen00b

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 11:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steve,
    Thanks for coming by and clearing up the misconceptions a few of us had, including myself. I was sure there was a database listing SEAL members, but as you said, it is not open to the public. It was mighty mice and cool of you to drop by and answer the questions like ya did.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast