Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2004 6:58pm

Style: Whatever Works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steve, thanks again. You don't have to apologize for being a writer because, well...I'm a reader.:) I enjoyed the detailing. The only thing is right now I can't think of anymore questions. If I do I'll be sure to contact you either at this board or via email somehow.

Sincerely,

Ken

Military Veteran

Posted On:
    1/11/2004 7:01pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     The POW Network Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking forward to it... just pull my email address for the members lookup listing.

Take care,
    Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)
    USN 1970-1978
    SEAL Team ONE
    Inshore Undersea Warfare Group ONE
    -UDT-SEAL Association - Member
    -POW Network Board of Directors
    -Naval Special Warfare Archives - SOF Analyst/Contributing Journalist
    -Disabled American Veterans - Life Member
    -FORMER Special Investigator - SEAL Authentication Team
    -CyberSEALs.org - Webmaster
    -Author - NO GUTS, NO GLORY - Unmasking Navy SEAL Imposters

Nu-Metal Head

Posted On:
    1/11/2004 7:05pm

Style: Mauy Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright I guess I'll ask a serious question, during your time as a SEAL how important was hand to hand training?
    "ARGH SURF NINJAS *implodes* " the cruel fate of Stold3

Military Veteran

Posted On:
    1/11/2004 7:48pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     The POW Network Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Immediately after I finished BUD/S training (Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL), I spent nearly 6 months getting through SEAL Team ONE's CADRE training program - SEAL Basic Indoctrination and SEAL Advanced Training. Both of those courses had some HTH training, but it was as an individual. Once I was finished with the SBI/SAT stuff and in an operational platoon, I started training with my platoon mates in a BIG way... and that included LOTS of HTH... some of which I described briefly above.

HTH is pretty important in the SEAL Teams. Bullets are fine and do a great job, if the situation permits you to use them. But if you gotta be quiet it's HTH primarily, whether empty handed or with a knife. The ideas are simple... "rules are for fools", "play to win... not to draw even and not to lose - if that means the other guy dies, then so be it", it's always "balls to the wall, full speed ahead, and no holds barred... whatever it takes to get the job done".

There are lots of other things that go into being a SEAL. The list includes all kinds of demolition stuff, all kinds of weapons training, all kinds of small unit tactics, diving physics, diving medicine, parachute operations, land navigation, communications... it's really a HUGE list and could cover several pages, and every SEAL has to know ALL of it. And that's just the first year of training (6 months with BUD/S and another 6 months with advanced training, airborne training, and platoon training. Then you get into things like advanced survival training, submarine operations, foreign language training, and lots of other really neat stuff.

For any kid who grew up playing military games in the back yard it's a dream come true. You get to live the life of the dudes in the movies who have to rely on special effects to get their jobs done, you get to blow up LOTS of stuff, you get to shoot just about every type of small arms in the world... AND you get LOTS of time tussling with your Teammates on mats and on the beach learning HTH.

Everybody wants to either BE a SEAL or BE LIKE a SEAL... but there just aren't many who actually have the opportunity to do all that stuff... AND THE NAVY PAYS YOU TO DO IT!!! HTH was always a blast for me. I certainly wasn't the best at it... but I wasn't the worst either. If I'd been there when the bouncers came after you in the parking lot, I'll bet we could have taken them... TOGETHER!

Regards,
    Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)
    USN 1970-1978
    SEAL Team ONE
    Inshore Undersea Warfare Group ONE
    -UDT-SEAL Association - Member
    -POW Network Board of Directors
    -Naval Special Warfare Archives - SOF Analyst/Contributing Journalist
    -Disabled American Veterans - Life Member
    -FORMER Special Investigator - SEAL Authentication Team
    -CyberSEALs.org - Webmaster
    -Author - NO GUTS, NO GLORY - Unmasking Navy SEAL Imposters

Posted On:
    1/11/2004 10:10pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What would your take be on a situation in which some 18 year old navy guy at a bar had a stupid moment and tried to pick up some woman by claiming he was a SEAL? Obviously this has been a disagreement between myself and Clang, (not that I don't respect his right to a contrary opinion) but for the sake of argument, and as a softball question, why is such behavior wrong and why would it really hurt anyone?

Last edited by Sam Browning; 1/11/2004 10:53pm at .

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    1/11/2004 10:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for appearing on Bullshido and answering questions. Will definitely put in an order for your book.

What type of physical conditioning do SEALS typically strive for?

Rolls With Sweaty Men!

Posted On:
    1/11/2004 10:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a lot for coming onto Bullshido, it is always great to have experts on the forum. I am just curious what your feelings are about Richard Marcinko. Have you read his autobiography, and if so, how "fair and balanced" do you feel it is?

Nu-Metal Head

Posted On:
    1/11/2004 11:02pm

Style: Mauy Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah thanks BlacksmithSEAL.
    "ARGH SURF NINJAS *implodes* " the cruel fate of Stold3

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2004 11:07pm

Style: Whatever Works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by BlacksmithSEAL
    Immediately after I finished BUD/S training (Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL), I spent nearly 6 months getting through SEAL Team ONE's CADRE training program - SEAL Basic Indoctrination and SEAL Advanced Training. Both of those courses had some HTH training, but it was as an individual. Once I was finished with the SBI/SAT stuff and in an operational platoon, I started training with my platoon mates in a BIG way... and that included LOTS of HTH... some of which I described briefly above.

HTH is pretty important in the SEAL Teams. Bullets are fine and do a great job, if the situation permits you to use them. But if you gotta be quiet it's HTH primarily, whether empty handed or with a knife. The ideas are simple... "rules are for fools", "play to win... not to draw even and not to lose - if that means the other guy dies, then so be it", it's always "balls to the wall, full speed ahead, and no holds barred... whatever it takes to get the job done".

There are lots of other things that go into being a SEAL. The list includes all kinds of demolition stuff, all kinds of weapons training, all kinds of small unit tactics, diving physics, diving medicine, parachute operations, land navigation, communications... it's really a HUGE list and could cover several pages, and every SEAL has to know ALL of it. And that's just the first year of training (6 months with BUD/S and another 6 months with advanced training, airborne training, and platoon training. Then you get into things like advanced survival training, submarine operations, foreign language training, and lots of other really neat stuff.

For any kid who grew up playing military games in the back yard it's a dream come true. You get to live the life of the dudes in the movies who have to rely on special effects to get their jobs done, you get to blow up LOTS of stuff, you get to shoot just about every type of small arms in the world... AND you get LOTS of time tussling with your Teammates on mats and on the beach learning HTH.

Everybody wants to either BE a SEAL or BE LIKE a SEAL... but there just aren't many who actually have the opportunity to do all that stuff... AND THE NAVY PAYS YOU TO DO IT!!! HTH was always a blast for me. I certainly wasn't the best at it... but I wasn't the worst either. If I'd been there when the bouncers came after you in the parking lot, I'll bet we could have taken them... TOGETHER!

Regards,
    Great info once again. There has been a lot of controversy in the MA community over the past few years about whether Special Forces needed H2H or not. Hopefully this message will bring some clarity to the matter. In addition to that, even if you never needed to use it, its still of the utmost importance to a modern day soldier for psychological reasons if nothing else.

The further you get away from someone, the easier it is to kill. For example, dropping a bomb from a plane entails very little to no stress. As you advance to a closer distance; from shooting, to knife and ultimately hand to hand range it becomes very personal and very difficult to take another human's life. This was demonstrated when our soldiers went into the Korean War. It has been said by many of the veterans that only 25% of our soldiers actually fought while the rest LITERALLY hid and/or retreated.

That prompted the military to start focusing on H2H more. If your training entails learning how to kill at close range, you won't have the freeze set type of action when you actually fire a machine gun as evidenced by some of our soldiers in the Korean War who were poorly trained. Also, our shooting targets became human shaped. These were all of paramount importance. Most species have an inbuilt mechanism that makes it unlikely for them to kill one another, perhaps by evolutionary design.

Sincerely,

Ken

Rolls With Sweaty Men!

Posted On:
    1/12/2004 1:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe a temporary sticky could be put on this thread so people will see it and ask questions...
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast