Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 6:45am

Style: BJJ, CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by BlacksmithSEAL
    The Charlie Sheen movie was a total joke! Anyone with his attitude would have been bounced out of training within the first week or so... and never would have made it to the Teams. A Teammate of mine tells of his thirteen man class lining up for graduation at the end of the six month course, and of one man pulling a hard-ass, chest-puffed-up attitude that he'd "finally made it". It got a little over the top, he was pulled from the line 30 minutes before the ceremony, and only TWELVE men graduated. He was promptly shipped back to the fleet and never had another chance at making the Teams. Attitude definitely counts!
    Didn't former Team guy Chuck Pfarrer write that movie? I'm sure the crap in it was Hollywood's addition.

I actually enjoyed Tears of the Sun. I thought it was somewhat underrated.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 8:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blacksmithseal,
    Marcinko's books, in particular his first, was as accurate to being their as you can get ( minus the ego driven BS).
    Bravo Two Zero, was also very well done.
    I enjoyed "one shot, One Kill" the book of Carlos Hathcock, arguably, one of the best Marine snipes ever.

Any other books pop to your mind ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 9:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as books about Team Six, I felt that Gormly's book was by far superior to Marcinko's.

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 11:54am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What was the title of Gormly's book and his full name? I might be in the market for another book :) I suspect that Kungfools is sulking off in Hawaii after he got buried by myself, Mike Reese and Pat from Logan on the Nation of Islam thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 12:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Combat Swimmer by Robert Gormly

Gormly took over command of Team Six after Marcinko's departure. One of the most striking things about it is the very different opinion he has of Marcinko.

Military Veteran

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 3:01pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     The POW Network Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phoenix,
    I don't recall all the details of the movie at the moment... but I do recall that I wasn't that impressed. As I remember, all (or most of) the SEALs were somehow killed off, but the one non-SEAL along for the trip was the guy who saved the day. Pretty unrealistic. That was one small group of guys and I guess it would be fair to call the abandoned prison a 'tangled, built-up, "urban" environment'.

If you assign the same classification to the environs of Iraq , perhaps a comparison can be made. There are a LOT more SEALs in Iraq, with a LOT more built up areas and a LOT more bad guys, and a LOT more combat... but thus far there has not been a single death among the SEALs in Operation Iraqi Freedom (but "some" Iraqis HAVE died).

Great movie script, if you like that sort of thing... but you could have called the men "SF" or "Recon" or anything else besides "SEALs" and it wouldn't have made a difference. In my personal opinion it really wasn't that accurately portrayed.
    Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)
    USN 1970-1978
    SEAL Team ONE
    Inshore Undersea Warfare Group ONE
    -UDT-SEAL Association - Member
    -POW Network Board of Directors
    -Naval Special Warfare Archives - SOF Analyst/Contributing Journalist
    -Disabled American Veterans - Life Member
    -FORMER Special Investigator - SEAL Authentication Team
    -CyberSEALs.org - Webmaster
    -Author - NO GUTS, NO GLORY - Unmasking Navy SEAL Imposters

Military Veteran

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 3:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might try getting a copy of "SEAL!" by Mike Walsh. It's well written and tells a good, accurate story of his time in Vietnam and afterward. Mike has gotten religion since he was on the Teams, and it does color his text toward the end of the book. That said, it is an absolutely accurate portrayal of SEAL Team ONE during my time in the compound. While I didn't pal around with Mike, he was at ST1 at the same time I was there. I have not read Bob Gormly's book, but I have heard good things about it from my Teammates.

Bob Gormly is a really fine man, well-liked and respected by Teammates on both coasts, young and old alike. Like I said in an earlier post, Marcinko is viewed with differing opinions by different men... but he WAS the guy in the right place to pull ST6 into existence and get it moving in the right direction. Gormly's efforts as CO of ST6 were the next step in the evolution and growth of that unit.
    Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)
    USN 1970-1978
    SEAL Team ONE

Nu-Metal Head

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 5:12pm

Style: Mauy Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BlacksmithSEAL What's your opinion on the Army's video game? Do you think the navy/seal's might ever realese on of their own to the public as a recuritment tool much like the Army is doing now.
    "ARGH SURF NINJAS *implodes* " the cruel fate of Stold3

Military Veteran

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 6:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen the Army's video game, and it seems a good way to reach a lot of folks who might otherwise not consider spending time in the military. Statistics currently are that only 1-in-20 have any personal, first hand military experience. That figure includes all veterans, all current active duty military, all National Guard members, and all Reserves. That's PITIFUL!

If a video game can get the word out to a few more youths, then so much the better. But I seriously doubt that the SEALs will ever do anything of that sort. There's just too much of being a SEAL that depends on what's between your ears rather than how well you can line up a set of video gunsights... it'll never translate well into a realistic video game. You can't include "teeth chattering cold and wet" in a video game... and that's just one aspect.
    Steve Robinson RM2(SEAL)
    USN 1970-1978
    SEAL Team ONE

Rolls With Sweaty Men!

Posted On:
    1/16/2004 7:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will check out Gormly's book. I have been anxious to get a second opinion on Marcinko and ST6 after reading Rogue Warrior.
    Last edited by ClintEQ; 1/17/2004 2:55am at .
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14 LastLast