Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 4:56pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Book Review "No Guts, No Glory: Unmasking Navy Seal Imposters"

A couple days ago I obtained a self published book by Steve Robinson, a former US navy SEALS, entitled "No Guts, No Glory: Unmasking Navy SEAL Imposters" It was a product of the several years he spent as an investigator for a private organization called AutheniSEALs that was set up to deal with the literally thousands of men who have falsely claimed that they were SEALS, retired SEALS, or SEALS with Combat experience in Vietnam. Because this septic tide flows into the Martial Arts community, I decided to give this book a quick review.

The first several chapters of Steve's book discuss the history of the underwater demolition teams and the SEALS, and the private formation of a data base that records everyone from the late 1940s onward who successfully completed Basic Underwater Demolitions /Seal (BUD/S) to become a SEAL or Underwater Demolitions Training to become a frogman. If someone hasn't completed BUD/S or Frogman Training they are not a Seal, no exceptions. The project compares claimants to the computer base and is able to tell rather quickly is someone is falsifying their service record.

Steve's book contains 97 case studies complete with the boiler plate language in the letters he sent to the initial inquries. Some of the chapters therefore feel more like one has opened a file cabinet rather than one is reading a book. However, the text is still quite readable and the case studies are divided into chapters, #6 "I was a Seal" #7 "And I work for the CIA" # 11 "Imposters for Profit", # 12 "God's Gift to Women and Children" The last chapter is particularly interesting because it discusses how men are claiming to be SEALS in order to impress women and get them into bed. Throw in some stories of men claiming the hall of shame triple, "I was a seal, I was a POW in Nam, I earned the Medal of Honor" and you have some real weirdos out there.

I couldn't finish without mentioning however case study # 72 (pp. 233-236) which discussed how a guy named Joe Anthony had to redo his website after Steve caught him claiming to be an ex-SEAL, Joe is still however hawking his hand to hand combat system which implies that he has Special Forces and SEAL Connections. See:

http://www.navyseal.org/ and http://www.classifiedclub.com/mall/navyseal.html

The reader is advised to steer clear of training with this poser who told one girlfriend that he was in SEAL Team Six in the 1970s (When it was actually formed in 1980) Steve also tells the funny story of a bail bondsman wearing a SCARS sweatshirt who tried to convince another real ex-SEAL that he was also in the teams. There seems to be many cops who which make this false claim and some end up running tactical training for their departments. (Scary isn't it) If anyone is interested in this book they can write Steve at steve@moosecreekforge.com It's 360 pages and goes for $20 plus shipping and handling and is well worth the expense.
    Last edited by Sam Browning; 1/09/2004 4:59pm at .

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 5:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is interesting.

Would be cool to have the author make a guest appearance here...nevermind.

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 5:05pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He used to be a judo player, why don't you ask him :)

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 5:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm serious...

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 5:10pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So am I, if there are questions from the house he could answer I would be happy to write him.

Cowardly Henchman

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 5:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is it always SEALs? Because it's easy to spell? Is it difficult to verify? Why not some other special forces outfit?

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 5:18pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is a good question for Steve, I have sent Steve a polite invitation to appear via the internet.

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 5:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "and the private formation of a data base that records everyone from the late 1940s onward who successfully completed Basic Underwater Demolitions /Seal (BUD/S) to become a SEAL or Underwater Demolitions Training to become a frogman. "

A secret, "private" database...hmmm.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 5:32pm

Style: 70's Funk

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Beneath Contempt
    Why is it always SEALs? Because it's easy to spell? Is it difficult to verify? Why not some other special forces outfit?
    my guess would be because the mass media made the SEALS more popular (more movies, video games, television based on SEALS or using SEALS to describe special forces, like Xerox for photocopier) than other special forces units and it is a household name good for marketing
  10. joen00b

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 5:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I believe the Database is open to the public. It simply confirms that a specific name was a member of the SEAL training. It doesn't go into specific years of duty or missions, it just lists their name for the public. What the URL is, I'm unsure of, but it is available to the public.
Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast