Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 7:44am

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do kickboxing (thai kick mostly) and boxing at the same time with different instructors, and I find the transition from one to the other rather easy...it's only a matter or mindset for me.
    Boxing? Chasing or being chased by people around the ring, being hit with hands a lot and experience bodyshots gallore, tighter defense and tighter legs...I found the boxing people to be rougher in training and in sparring. Still aching from a bodyshot to the ribs last night.
    Kick/Muay thai? Chasing or being chased by people around the ring...the difference is that you do it more slowly, in a Mummy type of shuffle, with your hads held up way up. You hit upstairs and downstairs, people LOVE to kick the shyte out of one another, knee the sternum, the floating ribs..heck, what don't we don't knee? Rough sparring, but not as rough as the boxing...but I found it to be more ruthless. Left hand, right hand, low kick and knee to the chest...OUCHY?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 3:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: HKD+MT+BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i cant believe we're talking about moving from MT to Boxing .. these are related MAs and very similar in some aspects.

I've made a transition from Hapkido to MT a year and a half ago and let me tell you this .. it couldn't have been smoother that it was ....

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 4:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Last_Samurai View Post
    Most Muay Thai fighters in Thailand have done a shitload of straight Boxing matches as well. Most MT gyms will also teach just Boxing. I doubt you'd have a problem. I'm surprised you asked, actually.
    really? most Thai guys I've seen tend to be kickers with a pretty lazy guard.. it frustrates me to see them do so well with it lol

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 2:17pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Given the chance, I'd move to MT in a second. There is just no legit MT in my area (that I'm aware of)

I started boxing a week ago. I just pretended I never did all those years of TKD. This strategy has worked well for me. Because I'm sure my TKD would get my head caved in. What is harder for me is not clinching and throwing. I'm too used to throwing the moment I grab people.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 2:24pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Completely forget about the TKD training and come back to re-evaluate it after you are a competent boxer. I'm jealous of some of the kicks ex-TKD people can do, most of them are highly situational but once you learn where to inject TKD into the rest of your training you can become a real monster.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 2:26pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FP, I sparred a san shou guy about the same size. Pretty advanced, from a good kung fu school and affiliation with ATT. Kept catching my leg (I had no idea kicks were THAT catchable lol). I sprawled like crazy from what I remember training in MMA years ago and didn't get taken down. I did manage to counter his throw with your bread and butter hip throw counter with hip throw! Before this I was used to specific rulesets where there is no throwing at all. This was from the little 1-year judo training I have.

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 2:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A year of judo is nothing to sneer at mate.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 2:41pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    FP, I sparred a san shou guy about the same size. Pretty advanced, from a good kung fu school and affiliation with ATT. Kept catching my leg (I had no idea kicks were THAT catchable lol). I sprawled like crazy from what I remember training in MMA years ago and didn't get taken down. I did manage to counter his throw with your bread and butter hip throw counter with hip throw! Before this I was used to specific rulesets where there is no throwing at all. This was from the little 1-year judo training I have.
    I've done judo for a little over 4 years. I've got 2 throws that work well without a gi, and really don't require much in terms of grips (I can use gloves). Once I get a solid boxing foundation, I'm hoping to take a few MMA fights so I can really put these things together. Right now I'm addicted to boxing however. I'm having more fun then I've had in a long time.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Yours truly

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 4:27pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, striking can get so much fun. A BJJ purple who just started training striking very hard told me that a lot of people who've never done stand up is becasue they couldn't get used to getting hit in the face. He told me for him, when he sort of got over that he found it a lot of fun. Best of luck, for a true-to-bone striker like me MMA standup is such a different game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    A year of judo is nothing to sneer at mate.
    1 year on and off. I went to this (not the university where I first started) university's judo club last semester and couldn't toss ANYONE :( Basically, I don't remember jack crap from Judo and basically is a deadshit about it now.
    BTW I get +rep for the gig I pulled in the last sentence.

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 8:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You get points for effort but you stuffed it up :P. Deadshit is a noun meaning idiot. So you'd say "I used to be good at Judo but now i'm a deadshit".
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast