Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/27/2009 6:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ulna nerve damage

I've lost sensory input in my little finger and the finger next to it. It's been about two months I've been to the doctors, first they took blood to test for a load of stuff. The bloods came back clear, now I'm waiting for to go for a nerve impluse test to find where the damage is located.
    Has anyone else had a similar injury? Did it clear up on it's own?

Posted On:
    3/31/2009 2:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WW2 stuff, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had an ulnar nerve compression about two years ago. I fell at work and banged my elbow/forearm on something. Over the next few weeks my hand started to go numb from the pinky to the middle finger. Within three months, I was struggling to turn the keys in a car ignition, and my hand felt like it was asleep all the time.

I had x-rays and an MRI done. The ortho said that the ulnar nerve was compressed from the fall, but this was aggravated by a narrow pathway in my arm. It was fucking Florida work comp so I had to get a lawyer to force the insurance company to approve the surgery.

I had surgery almost a year after my work accident. I had to have the shoulder on that same side repaired so the surgeon did both procedures at the same time. He did what's called a "nerve release" for the ulnar nerve. He makes about a two-inch incision on the inside of the elbow, reaches in with his surgical stuff, detaches the nerve from where it is, moves it over to a new position, and closes me back up. Didn't hurt at all. I regained all sensation, strength, and dexterity in that hand within a day of the surgery. No restrictions, other that not ripping the stitches out while the incision heals.

The only issue that I've had is, sometimes I get some numbness in my fingers/hand if I lean on that forearm or bump it, or if I sleep on it the wrong way. I try to be careful because it can last for a couple of days until the nerve relaxes. I have to watch how high the armrests are on the chairs I sit in, and what I do with my arms when at a desk or table. I have no problems with exercise or range of motion that are related to the nerve.

Initially, my ortho prescribed anti-inflammatories and physical therapy. It didn't work for me, but, like I said, I had other injuries and a physical abnormality. All things considered, I was pretty lucky: for some reason the surgery took care of the problem almost instantly, even though it was nearly a year between injury and surgery. My ortho told me that nerves regrow at about an inch per month. Nobody can figure out why there was no necrosis to mine, but there wasn't.

If the doctor looks at your results and says surgery might be in order, just go ahead and get it done. That way, you won't have to spend months worrying, like I did, that you might end up a cripple. It's an easy procedure.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    3/31/2009 8:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I've lost sensory input in my little finger and the finger next to it. It's been about two months I've been to the doctors, first they took blood to test for a load of stuff. The bloods came back clear, now I'm waiting for to go for a nerve impluse test to find where the damage is located.
    Has anyone else had a similar injury? Did it clear up on it's own?
    That sounds like Ulnar nerve palsy. Keep going to the doctors and do whatever they say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    3/31/2009 8:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, my left ulnar nerve's three times the size of my right one right now. I'm going to see a surgeon about it next Tuesday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2009 10:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks all,

Hopefully the NHS waiting lists for elbow surgery aren't too long