Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 6:04pm

Style: MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Olive oil

I have a love for dipping bread in olive oil and malt vinegar, I would probably go through 4 slices of bread and maybe 4 tblspoons of olive oil in the process.

I know olive oil is good for you (i have the least processed, extra virgin variety) and it's full of good fat, but would 4 tblspoons a day be too much?

according to fitday:

4 slice of toasted bread - 281 cals, 3.8 fat, 52.2 carbs, 8.6 protein
    4 tblspoons olive oil - 477 cals, 54 fat

eating this is hectic, gives 759 calories and i eat this as a 2nd meal between breakfast and lunch, but according to the chart now vs when I don't use to eat so much olive oil, i was about 60% carbs and 30% fat, now it's more like 60% fat 30% carbs.

I'm on a weight gaining diet so I'm trying to eat over 3000 calories a day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 8:11pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first thing you need to do is switch to balsamic vinegar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 8:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Lamb View Post
    The first thing you need to do is switch to balsamic vinegar.
    I was thinking that, I like balsamic more than malt.

Any reason as to why? Apart from taste

Posted On:
    3/27/2009 3:55am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    taste

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    3/27/2009 4:50am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, olive oil is good for you in that it contains poly and monounsaturated fat which is good for your heart and blood cholesterol. However, it's all fat making it both calorically dense and easy for the body to store as body fat. I imagine you want to gain mostly lean tissue rather then fat for your weight gain, right? Cut back a bit on the olive oil, the general recommendations is that less then 30% of your total calories come from fat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2009 5:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i reduced it to 2tbl spoons a day in fitday and if i go with my normal eating regime its about 30% fat intake.

if im going for weight gain, what percentage carbs should i am for? at the moment im about 30% fat 50% carbs and 20% protein. im taking a high carbs protein shake, which I've been informed is good for weight gain?

I am been a bit lazy and using the olive oil as an easier way to reach my calorie goal when I'm a bit lacking. Goal is 3000

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    3/27/2009 5:27am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onr3e View Post
    i reduced it to 2tbl spoons a day in fitday and if i go with my normal eating regime its about 30% fat intake.

if im going for weight gain, what percentage carbs should i am for? at the moment im about 30% fat 50% carbs and 20% protein. im taking a high carbs protein shake, which I've been informed is good for weight gain?

I am been a bit lazy and using the olive oil as an easier way to reach my calorie goal when I'm a bit lacking. Goal is 3000
    For weight gain the primary goal is to regularly create a positive caloric balance, meaning you are consuming more calories then you burn off through normal body function, heat, and exercise. Properly balancing micronutriants (fat, carbs, protein) is the secondary goal, as they work in conjunction with proper exercise selection to build muscle mass.

For most people a mix of 30% fat, 55-65% carbs, and 5-15% protein works fine, but those involved in athletic activity or bodybuilding tend to require more protein. How much do you weigh now and approximately how many grams of protein do you get a day?

High carb protein shakes work, but I also recommend whole wheat/grain complex carbohydrate (pasta, bread, brown rice) since they are fairly dense in calories, high in fiber, and more filling then a shake. Healthy simple carbs (fruit and juices) are also good for getting additional calories, but make sure to watch the refined simple sugars (chocolates, cakes, etc.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2009 5:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to fitday, I'm at least 800-900 calories above my daily requirements (I sit at a desk all day) and am still above by 300 or so including days i train.

I weigh 64kg and I'm eating about 170-180gm of protein a day.

I usually eat 2 meals of about 350-400gm of pasta a day and 2-4 slices of bread (with the olive oil). I'm asian so nobody in my family likes brown rice lol

I dont like lollies or cake, if i was to snack i would prefer something savory. Usually don't eat much sugars.