Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 4:31pm

Style: Boxing newb, HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Friend believes in "hard body training"

I've got a friend who, after seeing some show on TV, believes in something called "hard body training". Now, I had always been under the impression that hard body training was something homosexuals did before going to a club, but apparently it can make your bones stronger than steel as well.

This guy has been convinced that by doing some stupid ass exercises like punching barrels of rocks, you can make human bones into "the densest substance in the world", and become immune to things like punches, kicks, and being hit in the head with a hammer, and learn to punch so hard that you can literally punch someone's head off. As evidence, he pointed to this TV show on discovery or some crap like that, which features a guy punching a hole in a cement wall, and talking crap about bones being denser than osmium. Now he's started believing in **** like being able to train to punch somebody in the chest in time with their pulse to stop their heart. He says that he's started flexing his muscles in place, as the first part of some "hard body" training program, since flexing your muscles all the time will apparently make your bones tougher, or something like that.
    The stupid thing is that this guy is a 6'3", 250 lb former boxer who could probably KO most of those "hard body training" guys without much trouble. I have no idea why he started believing this stuff, since he should know better. I actually figure I should just let him go on believing this unless he starts giving money to these fraudsters, since he doesn't seem to want to see reason.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 4:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tell him to train for 6 months then come back so you can hit him in the head with a hammer.

Problem solved.

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 4:36pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    at least he trains in something
    Website Administrator Tom Kagan just loves email, instant messages, private messages, text messages, tweets, status updates, and every kind of personal contact. You can reah him at his personal email account at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN] or even on his cell phone number at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN].

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 4:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The extreme claims are probably bad science or bullshido, but hitting bricks, breaking stuff, etc is indeed known to make your bones stronger. Same reason that older women do step aerobics--it jars their bones, creating microfractures that grow back stronger.

http://bone-muscle.health-cares.net/...-exercises.php

Note that their list of beneficial exercises is "aerobics, dancing, jogging, stair climbing, tennis, walking, and lifting weights" which does not include hitting things. However...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolff%27s_law

So...this specific iron body? Bullshido and pseudoscience and your friend needs to understand that.

Hitting things and getting hit in order to be better at breaking things when you hit them? A fine idea.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 4:48pm

Style: San Shou, MT, & No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, the principle of what 1point2 said is called Wolf's Law i believe.

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 8:28pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a fan of "Hard Body Training", or to refer to systems of them specifically: Golden Bell Qi Gong, Iron Shirt, etc...

But I've been hitting sandbags for years, and I honestly do believe that it's helped both condition the muscles in my arms and toughen up my fists. I may not be able to catch a sword or catch a bullet, but I'd be less worried about a broken fist if I had to fight ungloved.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2009 2:33am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hard body training does work in the sense that constantly hitting hard objects does kill the nerves and strengthen up your bones.... the only problem is once you are a lot older you have trouble using those bones. A lot of serious Thai fighters who did that in the past have trouble walking now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2009 2:40am

Style: Judo + sports ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like it's the inside of the head that's denser than osmium.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2009 10:04am

Style: Chinese martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in all seriousness, there is definitely some merit to hard body training. i recommend doing it slowly and progressively, and allow the body to heal and recover. and know that it has its limits as well. i've done it mostly for my hands and fists, as well as some for the arms and shins.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast