Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 8:35am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First Class in Capoeira This Sunday

So, Frau Chili Pepper signed up my almost-10-year-old for Sunday morning Capoeira classes, and since I'd be taking him there, and would enjoy it, she signed me up too.

I expect I'll have a good time, and my son will be frickin' ecstatic, but I'm just wondering what the student pool is going to be like. Registration was for 5-year-old to adult, so it's possible it'll look like a daycare centre. Even though I'm 43, I expect I'll be one of the more fit adults there - although, I doubt capoeira is the art that someone takes up if they're tired of being a couch-potato.

Oh, and if anyone says it's a self-defence method, I'm going to freak.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 9:15am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go, enjoy it. Capoeira is a lot of fun, it can be anything from rhythmic dancing, to acrobatics to a killer upper body workout. Go with an open mind and have fun.

Given the wide age range I would guess it will tend more towards the rhythmic dancing and some acrobatics.

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 12:51pm

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't assume so easily that you may be the most fit adult there. Not to say you won't be, but Capoeira practitioners are usually really fit with all the core strength and endurance needed to perform many of the flashy manuevers that capoeira is known for.
    I took a free class of Capoeira and was really impressed with many of the students. Very flexible, agile, and quick. While capoeira itself is not a good art to take up for self defense, I believe many practitioners can go in to other arts and do very well.
    Also, expect a very good and friendly enviorment. With all the dancing, music, and acrobatics, you will more than likely leave with a smile on your face.

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 3:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Eyes View Post
    I wouldn't assume so easily that you may be the most fit adult there. Not to say you won't be, but Capoeira practitioners are usually really fit with all the core strength and endurance needed to perform many of the flashy manuevers that capoeira is known for.
    Whoops - that sounded way more egotistical than intended. Since this isn't their usual club, but a little program just starting in a community centre, I don't expect them to have a group of skilled/fit practitioners.

As such, I expect most of the adults there will be in it because their kids are - like mine - and not because they're fit and looking for something new.

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 3:58pm

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Understandable. I hope you and your kid will enjoy the class. Capoeira from what I've experienced is really fun.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 5:53pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Capoeira seems like the perfect thing to get a ten year old to do.

As it is the worlds most Deadly Self-defense

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 5:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it Regional or Angola? I LOVE capoeira, soooooo much fun!

Posted On:
    3/27/2009 8:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    Capoeira seems like the perfect thing to get a ten year old to do.
    Since I teach out of my home, my boys have been absorbing training since they were in the womb, essentially. The elder (almost 11) prefers striking and weapons, while the younger loves grappling. Damn near brought a tear to my eye, hearing them play fight in the studio, and the younger taking mount on his big brother and proceed to lecture him on the essential elements of grappling.

As it is the worlds most Deadly Self-defense
    Well, I have to do something - he's getting stronger, and I'm just getting older. If I don't give him a few speed bumps, he's going to kick my ass every time.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    3/27/2009 8:34am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Eyes View Post
    I wouldn't assume so easily that you may be the most fit adult there. Not to say you won't be, but Capoeira practitioners are usually really fit with all the core strength and endurance needed to perform many of the flashy manuevers that capoeira is known for.face.
    QFT, the capoeira guys I've trained BJJ with have all been freakishly strong cardio machines with inhuman balance.