226198 Bullies, 4072 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 24
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Matt Phillips is online now
    Matt Phillips's Avatar

    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,695

    Posted On:
    3/27/2009 2:30pm

    supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    YouTube - Fear the Baji

    Look at the sweeps in both videos close to 15 years later!!!
    You see those sweeps in San Shou a lot. I wonder if this is the source? Who's Asia sparring in that vid?
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


    KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

    In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!
  2. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,996

    Posted On:
    3/27/2009 2:32pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    You see those sweeps in San Shou a lot. I wonder if this is the source? Who's Asia sparring in that vid?
    Well those sweeps are in Tai Chi, Xingyi, Hung Gar, and quite a few other styles.

    I'm drawing a blank on the name. Hold on.
  3. 1point2 is online now
    1point2's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,121

    Posted On:
    3/27/2009 2:54pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have a couple threads in the CMA forum about this throw, Parting Wild Horse's Mane in Taiji, and it's got a thread called "what's this baji throw" that has its kanji from baji.
  4. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    3/27/2009 2:58pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    If you mean the one at 0:13 in the windy 1988 clip...uhh...either you or a certain lady-friend of yours specifically mentioned doing a non-flashy version of it in a MT match. This was a while back.

    I'll go hunting for it.

    PS. This is exactly what IIF means. Kung fu is thought to be the low-percentage stuff, but if practiced correctly it's just techniques used all over.
    Yeah Kat did something similar but much less flashy in her last fight.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  5. 1point2 is online now
    1point2's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,121

    Posted On:
    3/27/2009 3:05pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    Yeah Kat did something similar but much less flashy in her last fight.
    Cool. The CMA forum has a couple threads with examples of the throw in varying levels of flash.

    Oh, and I've seen it, and a lot of variations on it, in several WMA / HEMA videos.
  6. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,996

    Posted On:
    3/27/2009 3:06pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be fair to zhino.

    Quote Originally Posted by zenshinx dumbass youtube poster #1

    lol baji was used by the imperial bodyguards in china......i dont think you want these guys guarding your trash
    Quote Originally Posted by otomo129 dumbass youtube poster#2
    I think I figured it out, this video is about HOW UGLY one can look when not using proper for form in any MA.
    Quote Originally Posted by fexakes dumbass youtube poster #3
    I agree with otomo129
    Very ugly.

    So, it is 3 kung fu idiots to one non-practitioner idiot. If I added all of the stupidity in the comments from size (yes, when fighting you match up perfectly), to muscles (gee why are many old CMA masters ripped), to unfair (yes street fights are fair) the studidity in the Kung Fu circle is alarming. That's why I rarely fault people for their ignorant statements about kung fu. For every person that may talk legitimately (Tim Cartmell for example) about kung fu, you have hundreds that spout BS.


    So, Kung Fu people can be just as stupid. I take that back more so because, they practice kung fu **** and should know better.

    Yes, even a Tim (traditional CMA linegae that is traceable and BJJ BB) gets **** on youtube. Someone chose not visit because he wanted "pure" kung fu. Well that stupid mother fucker needs to go back in time because, CMA is so mixed now, it hasn't been pure since the initial conception of a particular style.
  7. Jack Rusher is offline
    Jack Rusher's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,135

    Posted On:
    3/27/2009 4:37pm


     Style: ti da shuai na

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    I want to see someone do that take down from ~11 seconds into this video in a non kung fu competition some time.
    Lyoto Machida pulled it off in an MMA fight, but I can't remember which one. There's an animated GIF of it floating around Bullshido somewhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes, even a Tim (traditional CMA linegae that is traceable and BJJ BB) gets **** on youtube. Someone chose not visit because he wanted "pure" kung fu.
    My head almost exploded when I heard that story. A full-contact champion with a sterling CMA lineage *and* a black belt in BJJ says, "I integrated these into a style of MMA because that's the best way to learn how to fight," and dude storms off because he doesn't want sully himself with groundfighting. WTFBBQ!
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4
  8. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,996

    Posted On:
    3/27/2009 4:56pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is fucking embarrassing.
  9. EternalSpring is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    16

    Posted On:
    9/04/2012 12:19am


     Style: Ving Tsun

    -3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post

    This is not the entirety of the art. It boils down to what you do with it in a live manner. No, the sparring doesn't look exactly like what is done WITHOUT an opponent. Forms are forms they do not transfer move by move by move into a sparring match, competition or a fight.

    People need to divorce themselves of this notion when they argue.

    No, I'm not advocating forms. I enjoy forms as a function a part of the whole. I understand people see them as unnecessary and I completely understand that argument. I think, in the proper context, they are necessary.

    Still, if anything can go forms are first IMO if, you are learning Self Defense and fighting.
    Agreed. I think the biggest problems that exists with forms are those that arise from people who think that training forms is enough to fight.

    Forms def can be the first to go for those who are learning self defense and fighting , but just to give my opinion on that, I think it's because even people who train forms in the "traditional" sense usually have plenty of drills that break down all the pieces of a form, in addition to the fact that there can always be tons of drills and lessons that are not seen in the form. Ultimately, I guess it isn't so bad if some people just learned the drills on their own instead of forms. Then again, imho, a person who seriously trains a form will naturally break it down into individual drills over time at the very least whether their sifu tells them to or not.

    And just to mentioned it before someone brings it up, sorry to resurrect this thread but it was linked in one of the stickied threads and it caught my eye. If you dont mind me asking, why do you say that, in the proper context, forms are necessary?
  10. Bezmond is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tianjin, China
    Posts
    399

    Posted On:
    9/08/2012 4:31am


     Style: Taijiquan, Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since training Taiji, I've found that forms influence my fighting style a great deal. I know that when I was training Karate I never fought like Kata. Apart from when I first started and was terrible....

    We train forms 80% of the time, a little bit of silk reeling & push hands, some fairly hard sparring if Sifu's feeling punchy. In my own time I spar against Muay Thai & Karate guys and do OK. When I was training Karate it was 80% sparring & 20% line work and Kata.

    I don't feel that without a sparring background, the Taiji forms alone would allow me to fight effectively, but I do think that practicing those forms has brought another element to my fighting.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.