224802 Bullies, 3744 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 141 to 150 of 176
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 161718 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Kintanon is offline
    Kintanon's Avatar

    Yes, I am smarter than you are.

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    5,683

    Posted On:
    4/30/2009 2:54pm

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, according to Da Pope none of those people have T3H R3@l Occultism. Only him and his fringe groups are T3h R3@L. And they only use the parts that are actually scientifically based in jungian archetypes and.... whatever the **** he thinks tarot cards are based on that does anything useful.

    He's just willfully stupid. Tarot is PRIMARILY used as fortune telling, Astrology is PRIMARILY used as fortune telling, both are PRIMARILY total bullshit.
    The mere existence of someone who uses either of those for a purpose other than the PRIMARY INTENDED PURPOSE doesn't make either any more valid.
  2. omoplatypus is offline
    omoplatypus's Avatar

    Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,331

    Posted On:
    4/30/2009 4:17pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Well, according to Da Pope none of those people have T3H R3@l Occultism. Only him and his fringe groups are T3h R3@L. And they only use the parts that are actually scientifically based in jungian archetypes and.... whatever the **** he thinks tarot cards are based on that does anything useful.

    He's just willfully stupid. Tarot is PRIMARILY used as fortune telling, Astrology is PRIMARILY used as fortune telling, both are PRIMARILY total bullshit.
    The mere existence of someone who uses either of those for a purpose other than the PRIMARY INTENDED PURPOSE doesn't make either any more valid.
    you are such a sagitarius on the cusp of capricorn.....
    besides, i saw the page of cups in your last reading. that means STFU NOOB!!!!
    --------

    Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.
  3. HappyOldGuy is offline
    HappyOldGuy's Avatar

    Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,825

    Posted On:
    4/30/2009 4:24pm


     Style: Rehab Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate to step in and intervene in this mildly amusing charade, but seriously, if you are calling the golden dawn and the OTO "fringe" when you are discussing the tarot you need to STFU and not speak on this topic again.

    WK, you came close. But it's more often about separating them from their panties.
  4. omoplatypus is offline
    omoplatypus's Avatar

    Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,331

    Posted On:
    4/30/2009 5:35pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I hate to step in and intervene in this mildly amusing charade, but seriously, if you are calling the golden dawn and the OTO "fringe" when you are discussing the tarot you need to STFU and not speak on this topic again.

    WK, you came close. But it's more often about separating them from their panties.
    i'm trying very hard to leave specific groups out of my posts, because i view all occult groups as "fringe".
    that in and of itself is not ment to be an insult. i veiw kabbalists (which i am one of), as fringe as well. also, i would not protest the assertion that i am an occultist as i am a kabbalist. i wouldn't agree with it, but you could say it without much arguement from me.

    so yeah, i'm trying very very hard to leave individual groups out.

    EDIT: please explain what you mean by "separate them from their panties"
    --------

    Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.
  5. HappyOldGuy is offline
    HappyOldGuy's Avatar

    Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,825

    Posted On:
    4/30/2009 5:44pm


     Style: Rehab Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by white_kimbo View Post
    i'm trying very hard to leave specific groups out of my posts, because i view all occult groups as "fringe".
    that in and of itself is not ment to be an insult. i veiw kabbalists (which i am one of), as fringe as well. also, i would not protest the assertion that i am an occultist as i am a kabbalist. i wouldn't agree with it, but you could say it without much arguement from me.

    so yeah, i'm trying very very hard to leave individual groups out.

    EDIT: please explain what you mean by "separate them from their panties"
    Don't get me wrong. You can drop everyone who gives a **** about the OTO and the golden dawn in a roller rink and still have room for couples dance. But on the topic of the metaphysical uses of the Tarot, they pretty literally wrote the book. So it's kinda silly to call them fringe on that topic.

    As for the other. You said separate them from their allowance.
  6. Kintanon is offline
    Kintanon's Avatar

    Yes, I am smarter than you are.

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    5,683

    Posted On:
    4/30/2009 6:04pm

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HappyOldGuy: But they aren't the primary users of the Tarot. Not by a massive long shot. Nor were they the first users of the Tarot for reasons other than playing bridge. So they are still latecomers to the whole shindig who co-opted an existing "occult" tool to lend weight to their spinoff mesonic order. So yes, when it comes to using Tarot IN GENERAL they are a fringe group. The do not constitute the majority of Tarot users.
  7. HappyOldGuy is offline
    HappyOldGuy's Avatar

    Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,825

    Posted On:
    4/30/2009 6:25pm


     Style: Rehab Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They created the deck and wrote the book on which all modern western occult uses of the tarot are based.

    url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Edward_Waite
  8. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,823

    Posted On:
    4/30/2009 7:27pm


     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Pope View Post
    Sure you can keep shouting idiot or any other ad hominem you care to use but it doesnt make you right. Rather shows a lack of humility...
    Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

    What is instead happening is thus:
    1. Your argument is bullshit.
    2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
    3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

    That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.
  9. omoplatypus is offline
    omoplatypus's Avatar

    Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,331

    Posted On:
    4/30/2009 7:46pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    You said separate them from their allowance.
    o i c wut u did thar

    i'm sorry, i'm just about 15 years out of practice on separating teenager girls from their panties.
    --------

    Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.
  10. TheRuss is offline
    TheRuss's Avatar

    is badder than you

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Not Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Posted On:
    4/30/2009 8:57pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I've been reading a collection of Richard P. Feynman's short works called The Pleasure Of Finding Things Out. Highly recommended. From that book:

    And now finally, as I'd like to show Galileo our world, I must show him something with a great deal of shame. If we look away from the science and look at the world around us, we find out something rather pitiful: that the environment that we live in is so actively, intensely unscientific. Galileo could say: "I noticed that Jupiter was a ball with moons and not a god in the sky. Tell me, what happened to the astrologers?" Well, they print their results in the newspapers, in the United States at least, in every daily paper every day. Why do we still have astrologers? Why can someone write a book like Worlds In Collision by somebody with a name beginning with a "V," it's a Russian name? Huh? Vininkowski? (actually Immanuel Veikovsky) And how did it become popular? What is all this nonsense about Mary Brody, or something? I don't know, that was crazy stuff. There is an infinite amount of crazy stuff, which, put another way, is that the environment is still actively, intensely unscientific. There is talk about telepathy still, although it's dying out. There is faith-healing galore, all over. There is a whole religion of faith-healing. There's a miracle at Lourdes where healing goes on.

    Now, it might be true that astrology is right. It might be true that if you go to the dentist on the day that Mars is at right angles to Venus, that it is better than if you go on a different day. It might be true that you can be cured by the miracle of Lourdes. But if it is true it ought to be investigated. Why? To improve it. If it is true then maybe we can find out if the stars do influence life; that we could make the system more powerful by investigating statistically, scientifically judging the evidence objectively, more carefully. If the healing process works at Lourdes, the question is how far from the site of the miracle can the person, who is ill, stand? Have they in fact made a mistake and the back row is really not working? Or is it working so well that there is plenty of room for more people to be arranged near the place of the miracle? Or is it possible, as it is with the saints which have recently been created in the United States - there is a saint who cured leukemia apparently indirectly - that ribbons that are touched to the sheet of the sick person (the ribbon having previously touched some relic of the saint) increase the cure of leukemia - the question is, is it gradually being diluted? You may laugh, but if you believe in the truth of the healing, then you are responsible to investigate it, to improve its efficiency and to make it satisfactory instead of cheating. For example, it may turn out that after a hundred touches it doesn't work anymore. Now it's also possible that the results of this investigation have other consequences, namely, that nothing is there.
    -Excerpt from The Role Of Scientific Culture In Modern Society (pp.106-107)

    And to preempt the automatic response...

    Because of the success of science, there is, I think, a kind of pseudoscience. Social science is an example of a science which is not a science; they don't do [things] scientifically, they follow the forms - or you gather data, you do so-and-so and so forth but they don't get any laws, they haven't found out anything. They haven't got anywhere yet - maybe someday they will, but it's not very well developed, but what happens is on an even more mundane level. We get experts on everything that sound like they're sort of scientific experts. They're not scientific, they sit at a typewriter and they make up something like, oh, food grown with, er, fertilizer that's organic is better for you than food grown with fertilizer that's inorganic - may be true, may not be true, but it hasn't been demonstrated one way or the other. But they'll sit there on the typewriter and make up all this stuff as if it's science and then become an expert on foods, organic foods and so on. There's all kinds of myths and pseudoscience all over the place.

    I may be quite wrong, maybe they do know all these things, but I don't think I'm wrong. You see, I have the advantage of having found out how hard it is to get to really know something, how careful you have to be about checking the experiments, how easy it is to make mistakes and fool yourself. I know what it means to know something, and therefore I see how they get their information and I can't believe that they know it, they haven't done the work necessary, haven't done the checks necessary, haven't done the care necessary. I have a great suspicion that they don't know, that this stuff is [wrong] and they're intimidating people. I think so. I don't know the world very well but that's what I think.
    -"Science Which Is Not A Science"
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.