Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2009 3:32am

Style: Muay Thai, No Gi Judo/Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed, I use underhooks all the time, especially against taller opponents and I do throws from that position as well (this is under muay thai rules too). Getting the underhooks are a important skill that transitions well to wrestling.

Posted On:
    3/31/2009 7:38am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its not like Western MT seems to care about this change so i don't really either. I used underhooks for 4 or 5 of the clinches in my fight and scored two really big illegal takedowns so i'm a fan of them still :P.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2009 1:43pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a good example of a "post-rule-change" fight at Lumpinee. The referee breaks the fighters up when one fighter (usually Saenchai, the shorter guy) grabs the other (Petboonchu) around the chest/waist, and whenever activity in the clinch otherwise slows down.

Saenchai vs. Petboonchu
    http://sstv.siamsport.co.th/ViewClip.asp?C=00006637

This was s a great fight. Enjoy.

Posted On:
    4/13/2009 1:50pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Question:
    -Won't this make underhooking even more common as as stalling tactic, since the referee will separate the fighters immediately? Basically, turning it into a "get of clinch free" card?
    I'm thinking of all of the turtling for referee standups in Judo. It seems like whenever sports add rules to prevent stalling, they just make stalling a more viable tactic.
    I've always though of reaching for underhooks as a pretty dangerous way to escape the plum, if someone already has it cinched up. It gives a pretty open window for a knee to the chin.

Posted On:
    4/14/2009 12:54am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends if they've broken your posture yet. If you are bent over in their plum any way to escape is going to be dangerous. My favorite way is to fall over backwards while protecting my head with my arms and even that has a good possibilty of getting soccer kicked in the head on the way down.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12