Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 3:16pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SFGOON,

Out of curiousity, are carbines, shotguns, and submachine guns useful to modern military?

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 3:32pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    SFGOON,

Out of curiousity, are carbines, shotguns, and submachine guns useful to modern military?
    An M4 is technically a carbine. And at any rate, we have all three of those in our armory, along with many other things. Shotguns can be especially useful for breaching doors. SMGs are useful for other things.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 4:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SFGOON,

For the navy, shotguns are extremely useful for ship security and are widely used.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 4:59pm

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SFGOON,

many sniper rifles are bolt action as well

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 8:54pm

Style: Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON View Post
    Consider too, that for the most part, military forces could give less than a **** about handguns. Given the wide availability of rifles which are a few orders of magnitude more deadly, and require a few orders of magnitude less training, pistols just don't measure up.

Very few people carry them and I don't remember ever meeting anyone who had actually shot an enemy with one - though I did once talk to a guy who almost had.

In terms of military operations, pistols are nearly useless. The Armies of the world can and do carry powerful rifles openly - what good would a pistol be?
    That's only true on the battlefield.

Posted On:
    3/24/2009 1:35am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pistols are there for that rare moment when your rifle malfunctions and you DON'T lose your life because of it. At least in military terms. Hence the term "Sidearm". Pistols are better for law enforcement, self defense, and point entry with shield, where they are simply one of the only reasonable measures for the situation.

As for uses, each weapon has its advantages:

Shotguns - Excellent close range weapons. 00 Buck 12 GA loads will put down an intruder every time so long as they are in range of about 50 meters or so on average. Plus, in urban environments, they perform their tasks with little or no risk of overpenetration that could hurt any innocent bystanders.

Sub Machine Guns - Another great entry weapon. Clears out rooms fast. Assault rifles are great, but the rounds are capable of zipping through both their human targets and the walls behind them which isn't a great risk. Plus using pistol-type ammunition like 9mm or .45 can give you less kick than a rifle with often more stopping power due to the shape of the round and its energy dispersal.

A carbine is just a short rifle. They often have almost just as much accuracy as larger rifles with less weight. I'd rather have a carbine than a full sized rifle if I were in the service. I trust my accuracy plenty with a shorter barrel, and I'd like the advantage of having more mobility and energy due to packing less of a load. Gimme an M4 and a Glock, please!
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Infidel

Posted On:
    3/24/2009 10:24pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Afghanistan we weren't allowed using shotguns on people. They were for "breaching" or to disable a car. Guys would carry an M16 (C7 blah whatever) AND a shotgun slung on on our back or hanging off the side of us a la one point sling.
    I wonder if it's an actual rule (Geeneva convention?) that shotguns aren't allowed against pers or some officer just thought it sounded good.
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Posted On:
    3/24/2009 11:21pm

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    Pistols are there for that rare moment when your rifle malfunctions and you DON'T lose your life because of it. At least in military terms. Hence the term "Sidearm". Pistols are better for law enforcement, self defense, and point entry with shield, where they are simply one of the only reasonable measures for the situation.

As for uses, each weapon has its advantages:

Shotguns - Excellent close range weapons. 00 Buck 12 GA loads will put down an intruder every time so long as they are in range of about 50 meters or so on average. Plus, in urban environments, they perform their tasks with little or no risk of overpenetration that could hurt any innocent bystanders.

Sub Machine Guns - Another great entry weapon. Clears out rooms fast. Assault rifles are great, but the rounds are capable of zipping through both their human targets and the walls behind them which isn't a great risk. Plus using pistol-type ammunition like 9mm or .45 can give you less kick than a rifle with often more stopping power due to the shape of the round and its energy dispersal.

A carbine is just a short rifle. They often have almost just as much accuracy as larger rifles with less weight. I'd rather have a carbine than a full sized rifle if I were in the service. I trust my accuracy plenty with a shorter barrel, and I'd like the advantage of having more mobility and energy due to packing less of a load. Gimme an M4 and a Glock, please!
    A little clarification: most entry teams have switched from subguns to the M4 precisely for reasons of penetration. Apparently, soft- and hollow-point rifle rounds tend to overpenetrate less than pistol rounds in soft tissue due to their high velocity and tendency to fragment (they still get through kevlar, unlike pistol rounds). Sounds counterintuitive, I know, but its true. Of course, military ammo is another matter since M855 ball is steel-core and designed for penetrating armor.

Also, while it is vastly superior for use in tight quarters, the M4 has lethality (not accuracy) problems at long range, especially using military ammo that was designed for an 18 inch barrel. When I was in Afghanistan, the closest engagement my company got into was 600 meters. I wouldn't have traded my M16 for anything in that terrain.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark View Post
    In Afghanistan we weren't allowed using shotguns on people. They were for "breaching" or to disable a car. Guys would carry an M16 (C7 blah whatever) AND a shotgun slung on on our back or hanging off the side of us a la one point sling.
    I wonder if it's an actual rule (Geeneva convention?) that shotguns aren't allowed against pers or some officer just thought it sounded good.
    Someone probably just thought it would seem politically incorrect. There is no specific law against shooting people with shotguns. In fact, it is a time honored tradition going back to the First World War. Shotguns were also used extensively against Charlie during the unpleasantness in Vietnam. You are probably thinking of the Hague Conventions of 1899 which restrict the military use of expanding munitions (the Geneva Convention is often incorrectly cited). Fun fact: the Hague Conventions also restrict the dropping of munitions from balloons.

And now you know.
    I'm not giving you my opinion, I'm telling you how it is.
    Can't decide which evil black rifle to buy? My thoughts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2009 12:09am

Style: MT noob, BJJ even noober

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1775 View Post

Fun fact: the Hague Conventions also restrict the dropping of munitions from balloons.

And now you know.
    Well ****... there goes my weekend. :toothy9:

Luckily it doesn't apply to civilians!

Here's a serious question for you guys serving overseas: what shotgun load is used when using the 12ga against people? Is it something like 00 buck or slugs? From this thread it doesn't seem that the shotgun is all that common in that role any longer, but I was just curious.
    Last edited by thaclient; 3/25/2009 12:11am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2009 4:54am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark View Post
    If anything, certain groups are trying to make 5.56 ammo illegal, under the claim that it causes unnecessary damage, and they claim the same tactical results can be achieved via 7.62 or 9mm.

my International Law professor kept claiming that the Americans resist this because they have billions of bullets already manufactured.

I constantly argued with him about the tactical efficiency of 5.56 and not the necessarily capitalist argument he was so fond of, I bet he still teaches it in class...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast