Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 8:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Google Cuchulainn's "warp-spasm" and his list of "battle feats" (the apple feat, the salmon leap, etc.) and some of the more-or-less wild-eyed speculations as to what they actually were ...

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 9:56pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote:DdlR
    Google Cuchulainn's "warp-spasm" and his list of "battle feats" (the apple feat, the salmon leap, etc.) and some of the more-or-less wild-eyed speculations as to what they actually were ...

Esoteric and mystical yes, perhaps a little too much. The stuff I saw basically said e was a mythical hero comprable to achilies. If we go that far whats next hercules?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 10:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There has been a lot of more-or-less informed speculation about exactly what Cuchulainn's "heroic feats" may imply about the training of ancient Celtic warriors. Assuming that at least some of them have some basis in fact, for example, people have tried to puzzle out how they were performed. From memory, the "apple feat" has been defined as a skill of juggling apples (presumably for hand-eye dexterity), the "salmon leap" is believed to mean a very high jump and/or kick over/against an enemy's shield; the "breath feat" is apparently a trick of balancing an apple on your mouth and then blowing it into the air.

Anyway, somewhere in the mixture of folk-lore, athleticism and ritual showmanship, there may be an ancient Celtic equivalent to some of the ki-type skills you were asking about.

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 10:19pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I missed that in the stuff I read about. But interesting nonetheless.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 10:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you Google "apple feat" and "salmon leap" you'll get the whole list, plus various ideas about what the feats may have been.

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 12:07am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    I was referring to supernatural I tried to clarify by adding mystical and giving examples if chi/ki.
    The whole haduken/invulnerability/no touch KO thing seems to be a fairy tale of recent vintage, having little to do with the fighting arts of Asia or anywhere else. Chi is actually a traditional Chinese medical term meaning breath/lifeforce that's oft used in the context of self-cultivation/physical culture, which makes it cognate with Indian prana and ancient Greek pneuma. In this sense of the word, Galen — the official physician of the gladiators — recommended many exercises for the cultivation of "chi."

In terms of warrior superstitions, they seem broadly similar in most cultures around the world (prayer, pre-battle sacrifices, charms/amulets, abstinence from sex for some period before fighting, &c).
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 12:43am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about the Native American Warriors? Considering their location we have to include them as a form of Western martial arts, and unless I am mixing up TV with reality (which is quite possible), they did include rituals to empower their warriors and had forms of mysticism.

I don't have much knowledge on the subject, anyone know of any mystic MA techniques from this group?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 12:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    What about the Native American Warriors? Considering their location we have to include them as a form of Western martial arts, and unless I am mixing up TV with reality (which is quite possible), they did include rituals to empower their warriors and had forms of mysticism.

I don't have much knowledge on the subject, anyone know of any mystic MA techniques from this group?
    Unfortunately, while it's an interesting topic from a number of angles, the consensus is that Native American MA are off-topic for this forum.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 1:05am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Unfortunately, while it's an interesting topic from a number of angles, the consensus is that Native American MA are off-topic for this forum.
    Why is that? I imagine that separating fact from fiction and finding anyone with first hand teaching of Native American Martial Arts would be pretty hard, but shouldn't styles from the America's and Polynesia be up for discussion? It's on the western hemisphere and is considerably different then the eastern martial arts

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 1:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Largely because the "WMA" forums on numerous other martial arts boards have ended up as miscellaneous files, when well-intentioned people assume that "Western" = "everything not Asian". In this case, the W. is actually more a reference to cultural origins than to geographical location; "EMA" for "European martial arts" would actually be more accurate, but it gets confused with "Eastern martial arts".

That said, it isn't a perfect scheme. In fact, this forum came about partly as the result of a couple of us plugging away for a "general MA" forum that wasn't connected to YMAS, to encourage more serious discussion of little-known (and, often, non-Asian) styles. As it happened, that idea morphed from "general MA" to "WMA + Russian MA" to just WMA. That's what we've ended up with and we have to play within our boundaries, which means that discussion of interesting topics like Native American, Polynesian and African styles are off the agenda.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast