Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2009 6:31pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just recently read this.. It has helped me greatly.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...8210-0,00.html

Posted On:
    5/18/2009 10:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Runner's World really does have good stuff in it. Over the past two years it really has helped me become a runner. Not just someone who ran once in a while for cardio or someone who ran because they had to. After I herniated my discs (2) I couldn't bend or twist. Running was the only thing I could do when I was able to get mobile. So, I signed up for my first 5K -followed their training advice - and now I'm hooked. It's as addictive as grappling. And even though the magazine does have some fluff in it. It also has lots of solid advice, training, coaching and recovery tips.
    Here's an shrot article on shoulder/neck tension while running from Runner's World
    NECK AND SHOULDER PAIN

Poor form or too much tension can cause neck and shoulder pain during a run

PUBLISHED 09/21/2001 Definition:
    Aching or cramping of the shoulder muscles during running, caused by too much tension or poor form.

Shake out your arms and drop your shoulders.

Try using a "two-two" breathing rhythm, in which you take two steps while inhaling and two while exhaling, and breathe from your abdomen rather than your chest.

Or try this: Put your hands on top of your head and pull your elbows backward until you feel a stretch. Run this way for 15 seconds, then shake your arms or circle them in a windmill motion to loosen the tension in your shoulders. Do range-of-motion exercises for the neck and shoulders: tilt your head up and down and side to side, shrug your shoulders or turn your head to look right and then left.

And keep checking your form as you run. Imagine a helium balloon attached to the front of your chest, pulling it forward and up. Your spine should be elongated, pelvis relaxed, shoulders dropped into a comfortable position and arms bent at about 90 degrees, and your body should have a slight forward lean.

Hope it helps.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    5/23/2009 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JCninja, thank you - I appreciate you taking the time.

Yes, I naturally breathe a two-two rhythm - most of the time. So this is helpful.

And, yes, I've been trying to run in a more relaxed way, particularly in my upper body. It seems to be working well, but it always takes time for the injuries to show up.

Oh, and I'll try the helium balloon thing. I'll report back on how it goes in a week or so.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    6/06/2009 7:51pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update: I got a pair of jogging earphones (the ones that wrap around each ear).

I jogged to GZA. Not bad.

I jogged to Beethoven. Awesome.

But jogging to nothing's still the best.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456