Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 7:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Palm strike

Ok. Its a new year. Lets start some threads with serious discussion on various techniques keeping the threads to that particular technique and its applications. Keeping the thread focused on that particular technique. Target areas good bad etc. I'll start.... The Palm Strike.

Targets - temple, solar plexus, floating rib etc.
    Good against hard targets (hard meaning bone)

I know we have discussed many before, but I want to isolate the information in threads to make it easier to refer back to later.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 7:39am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about the nose? Seems to me it would be a good target for palm strikes.

My sifu sometimes makes us do chain punches using palms instead of fists, and it seems a good idea - specially to keep the distance from the adversary, something which is a bit harder using fists.

But mainly I agree with you, and believe palm strikes are ideal for hard targets.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 7:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good target: behind the ear

plus point: low risk of hand injury compared to punching barefist

minus point: mechanics make the effective range of a palmheel much shorter

i recently saw a boxer ko his opponent with a cheeky palm heel in the clinch--- the ref was on the other side, could'nt see a thing.

interestingly the ancient greek pankrateon fighters had to always hit with palmheels---- presumably to reduce risk of damage to the hands as they were not allowed to wear the studded wraps that boxers wore

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 7:41am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Noes, yes, my list is not made to be comprehensive..... Thanks.

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 7:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hooking to the temple or the area where your eyebrow ends, with a palm heel can be very effective.
    Let us not forget the "iron palm", although my preference is still for the "stainless steel" palm, due to concerns about rusting.
    A VERY effective "finishing" palm heel taught in Judo:
    Pull the head back, chin point up, till the back of the head makes contact with the back of the neck, palm heel strike the chin.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 7:52am

Style: Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ditto as Ronin69,

Great for that ****, I love palm strikes, espically if you fight for example in the street, i mean you could get a brick wall if you miss, and trust me hitting brick wall with knuckles is anot a good thing, but palms not so much of a problems. I prefer palms generally because if you miss, the way you make a palm with your hand, you can grab onto something i.e clothing and go into a grapple. Or leaves the option open the gouge orgrab flesh or ears :)

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 7:54am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    where does the power come from? I mean isn't MOST of the power generated by twisting the waiste into the strike. Example, Bas Rutten when he was smacking Shamrock on the ground with the palm wasn't most effective because he couldn't generate power through his whole body.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 7:56am

Style: Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Umm, i suppose if you there it could be a bit of a problem, same as with punching gonna have to use jusut your arm, not really your body. In that case, use elbows, LOTS OF THEM :)

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 8:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The palms are much harder than your fists. Think sbout it. If you had to strike a bickwall would you use your fists? Come on,you'd break your knuckles.Striking the wall with your palm would be more preferable because your palms are the hardest part on your hand.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    1/09/2004 8:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Justme
    where does the power come from? I mean isn't MOST of the power generated by twisting the waiste into the strike. Example, Bas Rutten when he was smacking Shamrock on the ground with the palm wasn't most effective because he couldn't generate power through his whole body.
    The straight palm gets its power from the twist of the waist and the driving of the body behind the thrust, like any other thrust, but the upward palm requires that the elbow be bent and that the hip be directly behind and in-line with the strike od it becomes simply an arm strike. This requires that the body be slightly out and away from the arm.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast