Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2009 7:52pm

Style: MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn the feeder will have to really know his **** to put the pads in the right place.

I've just been practicing my combos repeatedly to get the technique right during shadow and heavy bag. Doing this workout will take the boredom out of it, absolutely hectic.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/25/2009 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is really actually easy for the feeder because you do the same exact combo only using the pads. I've done it probably 50 times at least and it is a lot easier that you would think. It has really stepped up my sparring by using this work out. I can't say enough good stuff about it. I don't know anyone who doesn't like it.

And you are exactly right. That was the same thing I was doing. This work out has allowed me to continue my kickboxing techniques while at home, and not get bored in the process.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2009 8:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I'll just foam pad the stand and wear my shin pads when i practice, that should save my shins

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2009 11:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol bas rutten is a crack up, watching the video from the MMA workout collection now. Can't wait to go home and try out the routine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 5:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bas rutten rocks, thanks diesel

not going to change bag stand now, I can kick the bag without hitting the stand provided i aim right and kick a bit higher, toes might slightly touch, but I'll be wrapping the arms in foam so I should be all good to go.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 5:31pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heck yeah! I've never know anyone to be disappointed with the Bas workout! You will get used to the bag stand. It won't take too long. Have fun. Post an update in a couple of months on how it works out!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 5:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have updates in my training log :) will keep updating there. thanks again!

Posted On:
    4/10/2009 6:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I were you I'd grab some 3x6", or thicker/bigger planks, build 2 sturdy, triangulated A-frames, place them however far apart you feel is nessecery/have room for. Attach a beam between 'em and triangulate again, secure it to the ground and tehn hang your big bag from it. Wood is quite strurdy if you know how to utilize it, and very easy to work with. I've built a similar structure, alltho not more then 3ft or so tall, that easily supports 4000lbs (a car), without bending at all, in just a few hours.

Dunno if it's called "triangulate" but what i mean is if you build something shaped like a square it wont be very sturdy, it will just fold if any pressure at all is applied from the sides, but if you put a big X in the middle it can withstand quite large forces.

Or you could just construct a mount, say a big plate, what would distribute the forces from your bag more evenly on your roof. I dont know what kind of building you got your gym in so its hard to give any constructive advice.

If it's a smaller space, you can just build 2x T shaped structures that just fit between floor/ceiling and 2 walls, then hang a beam inbetween from wich you hang your big bag, you may need to secue the beam to the roof as well to counter sideways forces, or just 2x 2x4", one on each side of the beam, all the way out to the walls.

Changing the design of your current stand would weaken it, and I wouldn't reccomend it unless you seriously fortify it. Also keep in mind that welds arent springy, they have 0 flexibility, if you put force on them they generally either hold, or just snap. In any case, good luck! :)

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/10/2009 8:07pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onr3e View Post
    I know some of you might not be comfortable with the idea of modifying this thing, but I have a few suggestions, with the following caveats:

1. You are good (or at least comfortable) at building ****.
    2. You can weld, or you know someone who is good at welding, or you are comfortable using high-strength glue.

This is how I'd do it:

1. Get about 200lbs in weight (say, four 50lbs sand bags from the hardware store) and place them on the rear legs.

2. Anchor the legs with U bolts to the concrete floor (or drill holes in the legs and use regular concrete anchor bolts.)

3. Cut the metal hook from which you hang the bag. Notice that I'm saying the metal hook, the one that protrudes from the metal arm from which you hang the bag. We are going to call this metal arm the arm for short.

4. Get a galvanized metal plumbing pipe, with sufficient diameter to shove it on the arm. Measure it so that, once shoved, it gives you about 2 feet of extra length.

3. Get a narrower metal pipe, which you will shove inside the larger metal pipe. This one doesn't need to be shorter, but if it is, it will be better (aesthetically.) Make sure that this is smaller piper is the widest possible pipe that can fit in the larger one. (Or you can use rebar.)

4. Take the larger (wider) pipe and shove it in the arm. If you can weld it, great. If not, use gorilla glue. Don't use cheap glue btw. Then take the narrower pipe and shove inside the wider one. Get sawdust and mix it with gorilla glue and shove it between the pipes. This will bind the two (it's a very strong bond mind you.)

If you feel adventurous:

1. Cut the little pieces of metal from the front legs (they are just an accident waiting to happen.

2. Build a platform with plywood, say two pieces of plywood, CDX, 3/4". That will yield a thickness of 1 1/2". Build it on top of the front legs. Add some rubber on top of them.

That's what I'd do if I had the time and inclination for it.

*** Disclaimer: if you do this and **** yourself up, I'm not liable :P
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234