Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 9:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have this bag from Ringside:

It's much better than the water base style bags, unfortunately the newer ones they've been selling seem to be from a different supplier and aren't made as well as mine. If you can find an older one from ebay or something it might be worth picking up.

I also have this one:

From Proboxing. Well made, but if you hit it hard there is a long delay as it goes over than slowly rights itself. You also need a crapload of room for it to rebound. Better than nothing, but barely.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 6:55am

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    I have this same one. ... I also have a 110lb heavy bag hanging from it. It still moves a little. I used to have a 70 lb and it flew all over the place. So I got a bigger bag.

Thanks, it's good to know that stand will support a heavier bag. How long have you had the bigger bag on it, and how much abuse have you given it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 8:09am

Style: MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just bought 8x 10kg sand bags to keep the thing down, and anchored it with some stretchy rope.

Now the next question is, where to find sand without stealing it illegally, like from a beach...hmm... I don't think the lifesavers will take kindly to me stealing their sand.

I don't mind modifying the stand, I'm thinking unscrew the bottom of the angled supports and screw them to the rear where the 3 supports meet (just behind the main stand) then redrill holes in the main support and screw that down, then sandbag the crap out of it, should be able to withstand it. Bag is only a 4 footer so it should be able to handle it.

Really cbf buying another one and would be a pain in the ass to find a seller, unless someone in the sydney/australia area wants the stand? I'll sell it cheap lol. Apart form that, out comes the drill...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 9:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onr3e View Post
    Now the next question is, where to find sand without stealing it illegally, like from a beach...hmm... I don't think the lifesavers will take kindly to me stealing their sand.

Dunno about Oz, but here in the States you can buy "play sand" pretty cheaply in the garden/outdoor section of Home Depot and other home improvement stores -- and it's already IN bags, praise be.

Besides, beach sand may have bugs and other organic matter that you don't need to introduce into your home.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 10:02am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onr3e View Post

I don't mind modifying the stand, I'm thinking unscrew the bottom of the angled supports and screw them to the rear where the 3 supports meet (just behind the main stand) then redrill holes in the main support and screw that down, then sandbag the crap out of it, should be able to withstand it. Bag is only a 4 footer so it should be able to handle it.
    wait... you don't *mind* modifying the stand???

can you read? we didn't say that modding it would be difficult, we said that it would be stupid and unsafe.

stupid, and unsafe = do not do it.

if you *do*, please shoot lots of video, hopefully catching the inevitable failure on video, so we can point and laugh when it collapses on you.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 12:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by billy sol hurok View Post
    Thanks, it's good to know that stand will support a heavier bag. How long have you had the bigger bag on it, and how much abuse have you given it?

I have had the 110 lbs heavy bag on this stand for about a year. It is holding strong with no problems. As a matter of fact, I was using it yesterday.

As far as abuse. I use it atleast 2 times a week sometime 3 or 4. Depending of the amount of rolling I do that week. Also, I weigh 225lbs, and when I do knees on this bag, I grab the chains and pull my whole body weight up into the air to deliver a knee strike. Usually 10 strikes. So that would be 10 pull up/knee strikes.

The only wieght I have on it is two 25 lbs plates put on the pegs at the front. With all that weight on there, it doesn't move around too much.

I kick the crap out of this bag too. I haven't hit my toes on the bar any since stagering off to the left a little bit. So yeah, this bag stand is pretty durable. I have had mine and been using it for about 4 years.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 7:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    I have had the 110 lbs heavy bag on this stand for about a year. It is holding strong with no problems. As a matter of fact, I was using it yesterday.

As far as abuse. I use it atleast 2 times a week sometime 3 or 4. Depending of the amount of rolling I do that week. Also, I weigh 225lbs, and when I do knees on this bag, I grab the chains and pull my whole body weight up into the air to deliver a knee strike. Usually 10 strikes. So that would be 10 pull up/knee strikes.

The only wieght I have on it is two 25 lbs plates put on the pegs at the front. With all that weight on there, it doesn't move around too much.

I kick the crap out of this bag too. I haven't hit my toes on the bar any since stagering off to the left a little bit. So yeah, this bag stand is pretty durable. I have had mine and been using it for about 4 years.
    Thanks -- that's real encouraging.

It would be a bonus if the heavier bag kept the stand steadier, as it seems yours has. (Even with my (70#? 80#?) bag tethered, that tacky plastic mesh underfoot and ~75# on each corner, the stand still moves a bit.)

*darts off to shop for thai bag*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2009 4:57pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have that Century Stand and a 100# bag and it works pretty good. I have about 45lbs of weight on each spot on the base as well. I have caught my toes at least once but it was really due to bad form and haven't done since.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2009 5:33pm

Style: MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    wait... you don't *mind* modifying the stand???

can you read? we didn't say that modding it would be difficult, we said that it would be stupid and unsafe.

stupid, and unsafe = do not do it.

if you *do*, please shoot lots of video, hopefully catching the inevitable failure on video, so we can point and laugh when it collapses on you.
    well the difference is I've built my own things in the past, like shelves, etc so I know what can and can't be done, I'm not going to just sticky tape it together. If it's not stable or unsafe I will change it back lol

Also I've got about 80kg worth of sandbags to keep it seated so it should be fine.

Posted On:
    3/25/2009 5:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been trying to get my wife to video me doing the Bas Rutten workout on my bag. That way you can see how good it works. Unfortunately, she can't find the damn cord to download stuff. If she ever finds it, I'll post a video of me doing a round.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast