Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 1:14am

Style: MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Heavy bag stand has me paranoid

I had a 6 foot bag attached to the roof of my house before, and due to it, *ahem* almost ripping the roof off, I've switched to the above setup.

I have this exact stand with a 4 foot bag (pretty much looks exactly like that), that's all fine and dandy, but I do kickboxing so those 2 angled bars have me paranoid I'm going to kick it and **** up my leg somehow. If i was to modify it so that the 2 bars go to the 2 back legs instead of the front, would it hold? I'm also thinking of extending the top bar so the bag sticks out further and putting a crapload of weights and sandbags on the back to keep it from tipping over.

Also would it be better to anchor the bag so it doesn't swing as much or to leave it to swing freely?

Any ideas? Right now I don't have the balls to kick the bag because of those 2 angled bars.

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 2:17am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same problem, I'm just going to sell mine because I can't stop thinking I'm going to break my foot. Even when I kick from the side and time the swinging of the bag, it's always on my mind. It's only good for front kicks and punches, IMO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 2:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yah i cant kick full force because I'm so paranoid I'm going to break my foot on it. I been teeping the crap out of it but I figuire I should probably start training up my kicks.

Don't really want to sell it off, I'm a pretty hands on guy so I wouldn't mind getting to modifying it a bit..

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 3:03am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me know how you modify it, or if anyone else on here has suggestions.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 7:41am

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I have the Century bag stand, whose struts might be even more prominent.

Yes, it is a bit off-putting. Yes, it limits your ability to work roundhouses from anywhere but a sweet spot of around 30. And yes, your footwork is further hampered by the footings.

On the bright side, it will assure better power as you'll be damn sure to bring your knee past the target.

I decided to tether my 4-foot bag for a couple reasons: 1) to increase the bag's effective mass* 2) the more the bag swings, the more it walks the whole damn stand around (despite having 75# on each corner), which leads to transferring vibration to the frame of the house, which rattles the china upstairs, which annoys my wife, which is the whole reason I got the stand instead of bolting the fucker to the floor joists.

If you don't have those concerns, then I guess leaving the bag loose would give you some more clearance, especially on a teep<backswing>roundhouse combo, as Frank suggested.

*Physicists please feel free to correct my terminology; what I mean is "makes a lighter bag feel like a heavier one." Among other shortcomings, the stupid stand has lowish (80#? 100#?) weight limitation on hangable heavy bags too . . .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 8:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank White View Post
    Let me know how you modify it, or if anyone else on here has suggestions.
    No worries I'll let you know how I go, I think I'll go with what I initially thought of doing, modify the angled supports so they attach to the back of the stand instead of the front 2 legs, then maybe add an extra piece to the top of the stand so i can increase the length and have the bag sit further out.

I'll take photos.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 8:46am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i wouldn't mod it.

i have the heavy duty ringside version of that (no speed bag part at the back though.)

it works great, and once you get used to it, you won't hit those bars.

do you have weights or sandbags on the base? that will be crucial.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 8:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrap the supports in foam in case of accidental contact. Moving the supports to the rear may cause the stand to walk more when wailing on it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 9:19am

Style: Muay Thai MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sell it and buy this instead
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7000Ultimate4StationBoxingFrame.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	9929  

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 9:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by billy sol hurok View Post
    Yeah, I have the Century bag stand, whose struts might be even more prominent.

. .

I have this same one. I used to hit my toes every once in a while. But now I stager off to the left a little bit. I don't hop to the left before the kick. I stay to the left the whole time. So my left foot is right next to the weight on the floor. This has aleviated my kicking the bar. I have no issues with it now. I also have a 110lb heavy bag hanging from it. It still moves a little. I used to have a 70 lb and it flew all over the place. So I got a bigger bag.

I wouldn't alter the construction if I were you. Unless you are willing to throw it away.

I have a friend who has the same bag set up that you have and he does the same thing I do. He said that hasn't hit his feet on it yet. I would try it out first bofore you start altering the stand.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast