Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 12:19am

Style: Judo, Wrestling, Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

For those who are parents

There is this virus called RSV going around. It is highly contagious and it can be deadly for children 2 years and younger. My 8 month old niece will be in the hospital for 3 days because of it. I also had to spend the last 3 hours wiping down my parent's house with Clorox and Lysol.I had to take a REALLY hot shower and then wash any clothes that may have come in contact with the baby. My uncle did the same at my sister's apartment and he has to boil all of her clothes. So for those of you who have kids and they get sick and it seems just like a bad cold. Take them to your doctor and talk to the doctor about RSV.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 1:13pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hope your niece has a full recovery.

In general it is healthier to pass on colds and stuff to kids to get their immune systems up to par, but when stuff like this goes around you can't take chances. Keep your babies safe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 1:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Found out my niece had a mountain of other stuff. But they caught it in time so she will be fine. The shitty thing about RSV is they could test for it, the tests would come out negative, then retest 45 minutes later and they will come back positive. So its a tricky deal. So if you have kids 2 years or younger, I would say using some hand sanitizer from time to time wouldnt be a bad idea.

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 1:44pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to the CDC there has definitely been an increase in RSV cases in California.
    http://www.cdc.gov/surveillance/nrevss/rsv/state.html

Although I don't have children, I appreciate you bringing this thread up. I know I'll want to protect my kids when the time comes.

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 8:25am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respira...yncytial_virus

Is this the bugger? I hope your daughter's up and running again soon.
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 9:57am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dozer View Post
    Found out my niece had a mountain of other stuff. But they caught it in time so she will be fine. The shitty thing about RSV is they could test for it, the tests would come out negative, then retest 45 minutes later and they will come back positive. So its a tricky deal. So if you have kids 2 years or younger, I would say using some hand sanitizer from time to time wouldnt be a bad idea.

Hope all goes well - that one is sneaky.

To sanitize or not to sanitize - tricky question. I can't find it right now, but the CDC recommends regular soap handwashing for every day cleanliness and hand sanitizer when there is significant illness present (as in your case). We don't bother with the sanitizer when the kids have a cold, but if someone has the flu or a stomach bug, we break it out.

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 10:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BD- thanks for sharing that info.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 11:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jubei33 View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respira...yncytial_virus

Is this the bugger? I hope your daughter's up and running again soon.
    Niece* and she was released yesterday.

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 12:40pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroChica View Post
    Hope all goes well - that one is sneaky.

To sanitize or not to sanitize - tricky question. I can't find it right now, but the CDC recommends regular soap handwashing for every day cleanliness and hand sanitizer when there is significant illness present (as in your case). We don't bother with the sanitizer when the kids have a cold, but if someone has the flu or a stomach bug, we break it out.
    The reason being that using too much of anti-bacterial products like hand-sanitizer can actually kill the natural, protective bacteria on your hands such as stapholococcys which fights off outside bacteria and foreign pathogens. Without it, infection caused by direct contact (touching) is unhindered and can spread freely.

Big Dozer- Thanks bro. I don't know if this made it to florida yet, but I'm gonna do some research. Hope she stays well and ya'll have a good weekend.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.