Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 7:25am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're diet and workout are appalling. Don't worry about supplements, push your protein and fat levels up in your diet by a lot. A push, pull routine would work well for you... Is there any reason why you have to lift on monday and tuesday, moving the days apart would help with recovery.

I'd reccomend

3x5 Deads and 4x6 BORs or Chins on monday
    3x5 Front Squats and 4x6 Bench or Military Press on friday or thursday if you can.

Keep adding weight each workout, making the increase small each time. When you stall on a lift, deload, and then change to a slightly different movement. I.e. stall on deadlift switch to rack pulls, stall on front squats switch to Hip Belt squats. Alternate the Bench and MP or Chins and BORs each week or every 4-5 weeks depending on which you'd prefer.

To perform front squats, learn to power clean, there are a lot of resources out there and both movements will have tremendous carryover to Judo. The power clean really targets the posterior chain which is essentially the prime mover used in Judo for most throws, it will also improve your ROFD which will help you become more explosive with your new found strength. If you are unsure about your form post vids on weightlifting exchange and they'll help with any neccesary tweaks.

The volume is low, this is becuase if the intensity if high enough and you are resting adequately between sets and warming up thoroughly this is all you should have time for in 45 minutes.

I think you'll find that if you improve your diet and switch to this workout then you'll find you have much higher energy levels and your strength will continue to improve and at a faster rate.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 11:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yamaarashi, your posts so far in this thread are making it difficult for us to help you. Please review this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 4:30pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whoa Budomoneky, chill dude. Your advice was very helpful, that's why I actually posted up what I was doing, so you can tell me in even more detail where I'm going wrong.
    To be honest with the calories thing I'm kinda scared of upping them, because as I said, I'm sitting at my ideal weight as far as fighting goes. Will I put on weight and if so how rapidly.

I'll respond further in a couple hours after I'm back from the dentist

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 6:20pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, sorry bud. I'm probably just constipated or something.

Upping your diet won't necessarily make you gain weight, you'll just feel alot healthier. I'll get back to you with more suggestions.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 7:55pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice Sak, I think I'm starting to get the gist of what I'm doing wrong here. Would I be correct in saying that rather than going all upper or all lower, I should combine an exercise or two out of each in a workout, thus not killing an entire area?

Russ: Interesting you bringing up that post, that was my whole reason for wanting to improve my workout. So what is my goal? My goal is to lose the maybe 2kg of fat on my stomach so I can then build more muscle while still staying under 81kg.
    My goal is also to develop as much power as I can so I can move into big techniques with, well lots of power and speed. Strength from what I understand is the forerunner to power anyway, but I need it for strength on the ground. How are those goals? Realistic?
    The question is, how long will it be before I actually have to gain more weight to up my strength and power?

Also, how exactly do I push my fat levels up, and by how much? Most of my fat right now comes from cheese, milk, eggs, tuna/salmon and meat. What other sources are there, all I can think of are nuts and maybe avocado?

And to look completely stupid, the word "appalling" is pretty strong. I think I'm getting what I need to change about my workouts and diet, but physiologically, what is it that is so bad about my routine? I'd really like to know as much as possible the why's of every single thing I'm doing. Cheers

Edit Monkey, you said earlier "In your method, you maybe get 1-2 workouts per muscle group, whereas doing a split-body excercise regimen can net you up to 6-9 workouts per group, per day". Could you possibly explain this a little more for me please?
    Last edited by Yamaarashi; 3/22/2009 8:00pm at .

is badder than you

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 11:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaarashi View Post
    Russ: Interesting you bringing up that post, that was my whole reason for wanting to improve my workout. So what is my goal? My goal is to lose the maybe 2kg of fat on my stomach so I can then build more muscle while still staying under 81kg.
    My goal is also to develop as much power as I can so I can move into big techniques with, well lots of power and speed. Strength from what I understand is the forerunner to power anyway, but I need it for strength on the ground. How are those goals? Realistic?
    Losing 2kg of fat is realistic and measurable (assuming you have a way of measuring your body composition, that is).

Developing strength and power is vague. Try to figure out how you can measure and quantify the kinds of strength/power you're trying to develop, and then for an initial goal, pick... oh, I don't know, 10% or so improvement over the course of... let's say eight weeks.

The question is, how long will it be before I actually have to gain more weight to up my strength and power?
    How long will it take you to be able to squat double your body weight?

Also, how exactly do I push my fat levels up, and by how much?
    To make anything resembling a reasonable attempt at this, you need to know two things:
    1) What's going in your mouth
    2) How your body's reacting to it

I should probably put together a "HOW DO FOOD DIARY" post at some point... it'd make a good addition to my megathread.

In terms of 1), stuff that is pertinent:
    -Fat
    -Carbohydrates (excluding fiber)
    -Protein
    (Track fiber while you're at it)

And whether we calculate it from the above or get it directly, you'll need to know:
    -Calories

In terms of 2), given that you're concerned with your weight and your body composition, you'll need to start tracking both of them.

Most of my fat right now comes from cheese, milk, eggs, tuna/salmon and meat. What other sources are there, all I can think of are nuts and maybe avocado?
    Fat is pretty easy to come by. If - if - it turns out you need more of it, then you can adjust the type of those items you've listed.
    Tuna (canned light tuna, anyways) has negligible fat content, unlike canned wild Pacific pink salmon.
    Different cuts of beef also have different fat content (eye of round is very lean, blade steak is very fatty)
    Skim milk has negligible fat content, unlike whole milk.
    The fat content of cheese also varies by type.

And then there's a whole category of fats and oils. Notable examples are butter and olive oil. Not sure how I feel about margarine and mayonnaise right now. We'll see.

But again, all of this assumes that you need more fat in your diet. Until you've tracked your diet and body weight/composition for a few weeks, neither you or I know for sure.

I'd really like to know as much as possible the why's of every single thing I'm doing.
    Let's say you were to ask me "Hey, I pat my head every night before I go to bed. To get stronger faster, should I pat my head three times or five times?"

I wouldn't even know where to begin. The question implies a connection between the action you're taking and the outcome you want, but the steps that link them are entirely unclear. It's kind of a backwards way of doing things.

Once you've established your goals and constraints, then the steps you need to take to reach them should start to emerge.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 9:43am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about Tuna that's been canned with Sunflower Oil? That's much higher in fat than the nasty Brine variety and tastes much nicer :)

Oh and don't forget Peanut Butter damn you!

God I'm hungry, cutting for comps sucks
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 11:14am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember though with Tuna and some other fish that eating it too often can eventually cause heavy metal poisioning due to the high mercury content. I never thought about it until recently when I met a guy who said he quit eating it because of that reason.

I betray this all the time and eat tuna probably every 2-3 days, but check this out:
    http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/tuna.asp

This is where protein shakes and finding other sources of protein such as chicken or top round beef become valuable.

As far as what I meant about a split body routing vs. your routine netting much more excercises per bodypart, here;

The routine you mentioned above has- 3 chest excercises (dips, flys, dumbell press), 2 shoulder (press and raise), 1 for lats, 1 for backs (the back flys, which are actually targeting your rear delt), and only 1 excercise as well for your bicep, which in particular need alot of variation and volume to stimulate.

So you are doing respectively 3, 2, 1, 1, and 1 excercises per group, not to mention all on the same day so none can rest appropriately and grow to become stronger. Not to mention you are only doing 2 sets. 3 is generally considered a minimum.

Here is an example of a shoulder workout which contains four times as many excercises:

Shoulder and Trap day
    1. Sitting arnold press - 4x12,8,8,5 adding weight
    2. Clean and press/overhead press - 3x8-12
    3. Heavy shrugs, dumbell or machine-3x6-12, front and back
    4. Heavy shrug shoulder rolls -2-8-12, forward and backward
    5. Bent over side raises (for rear delt) -3x-8-12
    6. Trap raises - 3x12, 8, 8
    7. Front raises with dumbell weight- 3x10
    8. Side raises with light weight- 3xF

Now after this workout you will be really fucking sore, and the next day you can do the same thing to your legs or biceps and triceps so that your shoulders can rest up for next time.
    Last edited by BudoMonkey; 3/23/2009 11:16am at .
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 4:01pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strength and Power measure Max Squat/Dead before and after and max vert jump before and after.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 7:53pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sunflower oil does contain fat, but I'm hesitant to recommend any omega-6 oils pending further investigation of the arachidonic acid cycle.

As far as mercury in canned tuna goes, I got in a discussion with a co-worker about it a while ago. It depends on what type you're eating. Don't have the links here, but I found this:

Most Canadians don't need to be concerned about consuming canned tuna. The fish used in canned tuna products are generally younger and smaller and thus contain significantly less mercury than the relatively larger and older types of tuna that are sold in fresh or frozen portions.

* No consumption limits have been set for canned light tuna (the most commonly eaten type of tuna, consisting of smaller species of fish).
    * However, as a precautionary measure, Health Canada provides advice for at-risk groups to limit their intake of mercury from canned alabacore (white) tuna. Albacore tuna is a larger species of fish that generally has mercury levels below Health Canada's standards but accumulates more mercury than the types used in canned light tuna.
    -Seafood Canada
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast