Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 1:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What sports do you shoot?

I started with NRA highpower, shooting a CMP M1 Garand. Bought a Tikka Master Sporter, made expert, got into IPSC and 3gun, and lost interest in HP.

First IPSC pistol was a 1911A1 from 1945, which complimented my "heavy metal" setup for 3gun (Imbel FAL, Remington 870). Bought an XD40 for self-defense, started taking IPSC seriously, sent it off to have setup for production (trigger, sights, griptape, stainless guide rod, etc). Quit everything for a few years (grad school, work, etc.). Moved down to Florida, got back in, in a big way. On the cusp of hitting B-class in Production.

Me at a recent club match:
    YouTube - 2/28-3/1/2009 South Florida Pistol Club Autism Charity Match- Stage 5

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 2:57pm

Style: MT noob, BJJ even noober

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Howdy neighbor! :wave:

That does look like a lot of fun but I've never really gotten into it. I've been thinking about getting a trap or skeet appropriate bbl for my 870 Express Magnum and giving that a whirl. I know they have a trap side at Trailglades but I'd be a total n00b and sure to embarass myself.

Did you take classes/instruction or just start the IPSC stuff and learn while doing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 3:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trap and Skeet are both fun games, but they are basically the tennis and badminton of shooting sports. IPSC, IDPA, and 3gun are the most "martial" of the shooting sports. Before someone blurts out "HEY ID1OT!11 PAPERZ TARGETS DON'T SHOOT BACK!!!11", I'm not saying gun games are a replacement for tactical training, force on force, etc. etc. IPSC, IDPA, 3gun, give you all of the speed and accuracy you need to win in a self-defense situation. Tactics, etc. you'll have to talk to Gabe Suarez, Massad Ayoob, and Jeff Cooper.

Okay, regarding the "starting IPSC stuff." You need a center fire pistol, some spare magazines and a holster. Don't go out and buy anything special yet. You need the basic skills (how to safely shoot, how to operate the controls on your firearm), beyond that however, you'll learn at the matches. Casual shooters will come, shoot the match, go home happy and thats it. More serious shooters will eventually buy DVD's, books, get professional training, and dry practice at home. I fall into the more serious category, but I don't automatically assume that's the right choice for everybody.

My advice is, bring what you have to the South Florida Pistol Club match:
    http://www.sfpc.org/

Thursdays at 6pm Markham Park in Sunrise, FL or the first sunday morning of the month.

No bitching about the drive either. It takes me an 1hr and 15 min each way.

Trust me, you won't regret it.

atek3

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 8:48pm

Style: MT noob, BJJ even noober

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like fun actually. The equipment for IPSC is already in my possession. Also the drive to Markham isn't that bad on a Sunday morning. I didn't even know about the SFPC to be honest but I'm checking out the website as I type this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 8:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thaclient View Post
    Sounds like fun actually. The equipment for IPSC is already in my possession. Also the drive to Markham isn't that bad on a Sunday morning. I didn't even know about the SFPC to be honest but I'm checking out the website as I type this.
    SFPC and SFCSA are two of the decent clubs in this area. good people.

Bassline to the Mainline

Posted On:
    3/17/2009 1:12am

Style: JamBoxer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atek3 View Post
    Trap and Skeet are both fun games, but they are basically the tennis and badminton of shooting sports.
    As an avid trap and skeet shooter I see what you are saying but obviously you either left out or know little about sporting clays. I love sporting clays. Please explain to me how that is in some way the "badminton" of shooting sports. Also have you ever done sporting clays? I would take a gander in saying it is much more difficult than what I saw in that youtube video.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2009 8:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps my post came off as snarky. Sporting Clays (which I've seen in person) is a very cool sport. However, the game is intended to simulate hunting. For example, with the exception of the 'rabbit' clays the rest of the clays imitate grouse, pheasant, ducks, etc. Sporting Clays and IPSC are both very "hard games" but the difficulty is "different". Sporting Clays is binary, you either hit the clay or you didn't. You add up the number of hits, and that is your score. As such, someone without a lot of skill will have problems making ANY hits. IPSC, your "score" is the number of points divided by your time. As such, even a relative novice, who had infinite time wouldn't have much of a problem getting 100% of the points on a stage, but when you divide that point total by time, they would score very poorly. On that stage for example, I got most of the points on the stage, and shot it in a reasonably fast time. The fastest shooter shot that stage in 25.88 seconds, I shot it in 32.90, however my hits were cleaner (closer to the center of the target), so my stage percentage was 83.18%, putting me 4th place out of 26 shooters.

Also, the "badminton" comment refers to the martial aspect of the sports. IPSC, IDPA, 3gun, Steel Challenge, ITRC, TacPro, Steel Safari, Sporting Rifle Match, are all, to some extent, martial games. It's reflected in the choice of firearms (guns relevant to self defense), targets (mostly silhouettes), and courses of fire (speed usually being somewhat important). Again it's a continuum, with Steel Challenge being the most "gamey" and the ITRC being the most "martial."

atek3
    Last edited by atek3; 3/17/2009 8:10am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2009 11:01am

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ummm Sorry but i have seen some of the IPSC speed guns and they are any thing but combat weapons. 3gun use to be teh hardest and most challenging IMHO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2009 11:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_malk View Post
    Ummm Sorry but i have seen some of the IPSC speed guns and they are any thing but combat weapons. 3gun use to be teh hardest and most challenging IMHO.
    IPSC has different classes. "Production" is just that, production, you go out, you buy a glock 34, (a basic 9mm semiauto, no optics, compensators, oversized mag funnels, featherweight triggers, etc.), draw from a regular kydex holster and you're running with the big dogs.

You're thinking of "Open", the $3,000 dollar purpose built "race guns" chambered for 38 Supercomp, running the compensators, C-more red-dots, 170mm magazines, drawing from Ghost Holsters.

Same course of fire, VERY different speed levels:
    YouTube - Open vs. Production

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 10:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I shoot USPSA with the "Gun Blog .45" and high power with dad's Garand. I suck at both of them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast