Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 8:16am

Style: Karate, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quad Muscle Pull

I've been doing a lot of leg conditioning and sprints for boxing. I do stretch often, but this weekend after work, I pulled my quad muscles. It's not serious, but I'm going to ease up on the running & climbing for a few days, although walking at a decent pace doesn't seem to aggravate it. I think this also tells me, I might want to try some different quad stretches. The one I usually do is the one where you stand up and pull up on your foot from behind with the knee bent to stretch it out.

Does anyone have any ideas for stretches and other things I can do for recovery (besides R.I.C.E., which is good)?

I also invested in some compression shorts, which I hope helps prevent this from happening again.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 9:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    have you measured your leg for swelling yet? also, is there any discoloration or brusing? how much of your stretching has been handicapped? can you do the same stretch to the same extent, just with pain or are you at 50-60% of your stretch?

i tore my hamstring twice a few months ago, just now got better and i'm trying to recover flexability.

post a little bit more info. also, i would say take it easy on stretching until any swelling goes away and even then, take stretching very lightly until the pain is completely gone. i don't want to lecture you on things you may already know, but i can say this. if you have a first degree tear of your quad, if you try to recover it the wrong way, you will make it worse or you will prevent it from healing.

if it is just a first degree tear/pull, then i would suggest that when the swelling is gone, do lots of standing squats (no weight) and lots of low weight leg extensions. also, get someone to massage your quad regularly and especially after you work it out. you want to keep the healing muscle fibers lined up properly and that wont happen if you don't work them out a bit.

as far as stretching goes, you could still do the stand and pull quad stretch, but for now only pull to where you are about to feel pain, then try to straighten your leg out against your hand, working your quad muscles, for a few seconds. then, take the stretch a degree or two greater, rinse and repeat until you just barely start to feel the sharp pain of the pull.

what that does is forces the muscular reflex to resist the stretch to happen before you are at a crucial point, then you can stretch a bit more before the reflex hits again. you can expect recovery to take 3-6 weeks for a mild injury, but if you aggrivate it, then you can expect 3-6 months. maybe you can get away with light jogging on a tread mill or something similar, but i wouldn't risk it myself.

once you are recoverd though, another stretch you can do is kneel down with the tops of your feet flat on the ground and your butt sitting on your heels. then, just slowly lay backwards while using your hands to prop you up. if you can lay the back of your head on the ground doing this, you have gotten about as flexable as possible for your quads.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 9:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's no visible bruising, nor any actual swelling that I noticed. Very minimal if there's any at all. But I can feel some muscular pain in the middle of my quad. It's mild and not debilitating, but enough to let me know if it hurts, don't do it! Now I can seem to stretch it fully, although a little pain exists when I do so.

The pain's lessened considerably over a few days because I have been taking it easy. Since I can't afford a massage right now, I keep stretching, self massage with tiger balm, soak in Epsom salt and ibuprofen. I also have started increasing my protein and potassium.

I am going to inform my coach and ask him to help me come up with come other conditioning drills for me to do for the next two weeks. As for jogging or walking on a tread-I'll make that his call.
    Last edited by Karritto; 3/16/2009 9:32am at .

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 9:43am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    meh, you dont need to pay for a massage, just get one of your trainers to do some deeper rubbing on it. they should know how to do it right.

you may already be a week into a 3 week healing cycle, so just keep taking it easy and if it hurts don't do it. playing through the pain is stupid at this point. but you know that already.

i can't emphisise enough, don't stretch to the point it's painful. stop right before it gets there and then add muscle resistance against the stretch, then try again. hopefully in another 2 weeks you're back to normal. btw, how old are you? under 21 and you'll heal like wolverine from mild injuries if you were already in good shape.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 9:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I' actually just turned 30, but I heal fairly quickly for someone my age I suppose. Or I have in the past. But I also know you have to play it smart.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 10:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karritto View Post

Does anyone have any ideas for stretches and other things I can do for recovery (besides R.I.C.E., which is good)?
    I swear by the information provided by these fine people: http://exrx.net/

A good read, even if you're not injured. Prevention being better than cure, and all that.

As for your current injury, it sounds like you've got it healing pretty well.
    Just make sure you give it ample time. Resting it for a few extra days is better than re-injuring it and having to go through the process all over again.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 10:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. I may just jog on the tread or while the others are sprinting and doing roadwork outside (if Coach gives me the okay). I think I might use this as a good opportunity to demonstrate to the youth class why stretching is important.

This will be a good opportunity to do some bag work and technique. The only thing I may go easy with there is slipping low. Also, no kicking. I even refrained most kicks in my karate class for the next week or so-depending on how it feels between now and then.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 8:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach made me job and walk during roadwork and go through the drills at a slower pace. I held up good tonight and I took time to do light stretching. Coach told me to use heat tonight since there's no swelling.

My goal is to take it easy so I might be able to go at it on Sunday. We're visiting another boxing gym and I'll be able to spar against girls for a change. My regular sparring partner is a guy.