Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/15/2009 6:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: taekwon do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Catch wrestling

This catch wrestling seems to be pure west , in this link there is some information
    http://www.burnabycatchwrestling.com/history.htm

Posted On:
    3/15/2009 7:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you mean by "pure west"?
    Thanks for that I used to live near there. Might check them out next time I'm in town.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 4:09am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he meant "purely Western", although it's highly likely that jujitsu found its way into the American catch scene in the early 1900s.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 4:27am

Style: Hiatus: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're associate through Matt Furey? Didn't Bullshido debunk him a few years back?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 5:15am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical Jo View Post
    They're associate through Matt Furey? Didn't Bullshido debunk him a few years back?
    Sort of. The gist of it was that people didn't like Furey's hard-sell advertising, felt that he was exaggerating his affiliation with Karl Gotch and over-charging for his materials. OTOH the consensus seems to be that "Combat Conditioning" was a good product.

Some of the old-timers who coached me in pro-wrestling back in the '80s had been carnival shooters themselves in the '50s and '60s. They would definitely have looked sideways at "catch wrestling lineage wars", etc.

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 8:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: taekwon do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bitchslapper View Post
    What do you mean by "pure west"?
    Thanks for that I used to live near there. Might check them out next time I'm in town.

I wanted to say that it had been created mixing different styles of wrestling from westerns countries.
    Sorry for my english!! I'm from Argentina.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2009 5:11pm

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Sort of. The gist of it was that people didn't like Furey's hard-sell advertising, felt that he was exaggerating his affiliation with Karl Gotch and over-charging for his materials. OTOH the consensus seems to be that "Combat Conditioning" was a good product.

Some of the old-timers who coached me in pro-wrestling back in the '80s had been carnival shooters themselves in the '50s and '60s. They would definitely have looked sideways at "catch wrestling lineage wars", etc.
    That seems to be the conclusion when/where-ever Furey's name comes up. He apparently has some CaCC skills (though how butt-kick'n bad they are is somewhat disputed), but well, his channeling Farmer Burns from the ouija board and then charging vast amounts of money for a repub of Burn's wrestling Lessons (when you can get it for half that price or less from the Wrestling Museum or low-quality but usable scans from sandow online for free) leaves a sour taste.

The thing about his Combat Conditioning is this. Everybody seems to agree that it's decent body weight stuff but over-hyped. Good workout but certainly won't "blowtorch the fat from your body." Then they typically tell you that you can get all the same info for free online. But they won't tell you *WHAT* that info is. They usually won't tell you what Furey's "Royal Court" sets are so you can go look 'em up. I mean, what the heck?!?! Then the person originally asking for the advice has to do a half-dozen google searches, read 8 different reviews, and spend a silly amount of time just to find out what those 4 basic exercises are when the person giving advice could have just said, "Hindu Squats (and variations), Hindu Pushups,..." etc.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2009 4:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as we're on the topic: I've been seriously considering getting a Scientific Wrestling Catch Wrestling Certificate from Scientific Wrestling . Granted I'm still on the fence on the issue since there are a few more important things I need to get straightened out first in my personal life, but I feel like it'd at the VERY LEAST be a great supplement for the grappling I know already.

There's a lot of people on this board who are more well versed than I am on this subject so I figured I'd get people's opinions before I make my final decision concerning this Pipe Dream of mine.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    3/19/2009 5:18pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kris Iatskevich (the Canadian certifier) and Billy Robinson are both widely acknowledged as legit. What is your question, exactly? Is it worth it? They're not shams, but 900 is pretty steep for a bit of training and a certificate, unless you were specifically looking into instructing or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2009 1:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My main question was is it worth it mostly. I might consider teaching in the long run. I can't really see myself doing that in the immediate future but down the line it might sound more reasonable.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast