Posted On:
    4/08/2011 8:47am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrogantBastard View Post
    I was cutting cardboard boxes.

Its a small chip on the very edge of the serration. Doesn't seem to affect the functionality so far. Some reviews on Amazon mention the same problem.
    "cardboard boxes"... sure. cutting up a dead hooker in your basement is way more plausible than a cardboard box chipping the blade, but if you claim you were field dressing a deer we'll pretend to believe that one as well.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 10:29am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The knife in question has some really weird serrations. If they chip opening boxes, I wouldn't recommend the knife. This is assuming that these were actual boxes and not dead transients or whatever. I don't like comboedge or serrated knives because they're hard to sharpen and the serrations close to the handle screw up some finer tasks.

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 2:00pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I don't like comboedge or serrated knives because they're hard to sharpen and the serrations close to the handle screw up some finer tasks.
    In the coming weeks, I will discover how true this is when using Spyderco's Triangle Sharpmaker™ with a SpyderEdge™ blade. Sharpening the serrations should be easy if I use the corners of the sticks as instructed. The H1 steel used in the knife I ordered work hardens, so it will require more frequent sharpening early on—as it develops its edge retention capabilities.

Word is that this isn't nearly so pronounced with the serrated blades because the process of adding serrations significantly jump starts the work hardening process. Nevertheless, I expect to do a lot of sharpening in the first six weeks of ownership.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've used a triangular stone to sharpen serrations before. It works, but its still more work than sharpening a regular edge. Also I like to finish my sharpening on a strop, which isn't really an option for serrations.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 7:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    serrations are such a pain in the arse. i wouldn't get an entirely serrated knife unless there was a real need for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2011 6:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    "cardboard boxes"... sure. cutting up a dead hooker in your basement is way more plausible than a cardboard box chipping the blade, but if you claim you were field dressing a deer we'll pretend to believe that one as well.
    Well the "boxes" kept trying to get away so I had to.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/09/2011 6:59am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't actually carry a pocket knife at the moment, however I DO have some of those really useful retractable folding pliers.

These are incredibly useful all around the house, bushwalking, torturing ninjers, the lot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 4:12pm

Style: Law Enforcement DT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually have my Spyderco "Police" or my SOG Flash II...

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 11:41pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    serrations are such a pain in the arse. i wouldn't get an entirely serrated knife unless there was a real need for it.
    I agree. I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker for sharpening which can be used for serrations, but the serrations really haven't proven themselves useful on any of my knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I don't actually carry a pocket knife at the moment, however I DO have some of those really useful retractable folding pliers.

These are incredibly useful all around the house, bushwalking, torturing ninjers, the lot.
    My primary blade is on my Skeletool CX by Leatherman and I love it. 154CM blade locks in place well, it has a pocket clip, plus it has all the tools I need in a tool for EDC. I recommend multitools far more often than regular knives, particularly ones from Leatherman. They're a great choice.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 4:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the smoothed serrations on my kabar have been useful for cutting rope. that's about it. otherwise, they're just the part of the blade i avoid when using a stone.

pointy serrations would have been much worse for the same job.
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 222829303132 33 LastLast